Page 1 of 4
what the hell is wrong with Gibson?! first, they discontinued the LES PAUL STANDARD!! WTF?!?! that's like their flagship model!!

then they replace it with this "2008 Standard", this POS les paul with an asymmetrical neck (that feels like crap, imo) and "deluxe upgrades" like a Neutrik cable lock, metal tuners (ZOMG!!!) and straplocks.

then, they discontinue not one, not two but FIVE other les paul models, including the standard plus, the BFG, the Classic and the premium studio.

that not it, they are also ditching the firebird studio and the X-plorer pro.

here's the kicker: they are still keeping the reverse V, Melody maker AND the Billie Joe Armstrong LP junior ( ).

now I am pissed off because I love playing Les Pauls and SGs, but I find new reasons to hate Gibson everyday! it's like those high tension marriages from hell that last 20 years and ends in murder suicide!!!

sorry guys, just wanted to vent.

your opinions?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 18, 2008,
what in gods name. where did you read this?
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
Quote by I Be Andyy
Andy was not aware of this.

Apparently, Andy wasn't aware of that.

Dunno man, Gibson is over rated anyways, IMO. Is the Epiphone going to change too, or just Gibby?
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"
get a hagstrom....
Quote by SungWismyName
What does sustain,pickup, and humblewockey(its wrong but it sounds liek this) mean on electric guitars?
ok i'm not a les paul guy, but i can understand why people would be pissed...but with the x-plorer pro gone...that is one line they should not have crossed...Those bastards
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
gibson will always be the best brand
they are unrivaled in tone quality and feel
as long as i have my robot guitar, im happy
They definitely have made some horrible choices lately.

and just on a side note if I ever see someone with a reverse V I'll probably have to punch them. like really, those are just horrible
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
theyre also discontinuing the sg-3.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Do they still have the Firebird VII?
They sacked their UK distributer too, so now independent shops here can't get new stock.
Isn't the Firebird studio the only firebird still in production?!

How

Dare

They

Also, you can kiss Epiphone elitists goodbye, too. Gibson is insane.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Thats shit, well you can find tons of awesome vintage ones on ebay for really good deals. My friend got a 76 Les Paul its amazing.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
No more X-plorer pro?! Those bastards
Concerts
All Points West - August 1st
Krockathon 14 - August 8th
Quote by Johl
Apparently, Andy wasn't aware of that.

Dunno man, Gibson is over rated anyways, IMO. Is the Epiphone going to change too, or just Gibby?

the elitist line is getting dumped.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by marvelboy_04
theyre also discontinuing the sg-3.

I always wanted one of those too...
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by imgooley
Do they still have the Firebird VII?

Yes, thank God... I love those guitars.
Fear not! While the Firebird Studio is discontinued, neither the Firebird V or VII models have been discontinued!
Bummer on the Explorer Pro, though...
Last edited by Nightfyre at Sep 16, 2008,
Spent a year putting cash aside for a les paul classic (played it in store and loved it).
Now...I have to go to egay?....woot....
Just gunna forget gaybson and buy myself a PRS.
Wow... Gibson had better be planning something, this is going to piss of a lot of people. To those who have any Epi's pr Gibson LP's, hold on to them, may not see them anymore... I am really angry about the Firebird myself... I was looking forward to that being my next guitar, I guess I had better act fast.
ffs...please...please at least tell me their dropping this model too: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Reverse-Explorer-Electric-Guitar-Antique-Walnut-516473-i1390774.gc
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
What If the made a really insanely awesome guitar with like two sides, two necks and headstocks. Attached in one guitar. That was $100..

Wait no, thats the stupid bullshit they are doing next.
Fender Frontman 212
Epiphone G-400!
Fender Strat MIM
Zoom G2

Quote by HighPotency
dude... search bar

It came out like 2 weeks ago

We all saw it

We all pointed and laughed

We all secretly wished we could afford it
It's going to be next to impossible to get a firebird now. The firebird studio was rediculously hard to get, and have you ever even seen a firebird VII in a guitarcenter? I havn't.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by K_Parker
Wow... Gibson had better be planning something, this is going to piss of a lot of people. To those who have any Epi's pr Gibson LP's, hold on to them, may not see them anymore... I am really angry about the Firebird myself... I was looking forward to that being my next guitar, I guess I had better act fast.

Read my post at the end of the last page? The 'bird isn't dead. The Firebird V and VII are alive and well. I'm guessing GC will stock those more often now. Though not too much, given that it's not a hugely popular model. I like it though
Last edited by Nightfyre at Sep 16, 2008,
Thats why i'm going to buy one thats not a 2008.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by fli.pansy
what in gods name. where did you read this?

check gibson.com.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by bobby_splax
ffs...please...please at least tell me their dropping this model too: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Reverse-Explorer-Electric-Guitar-Antique-Walnut-516473-i1390774.gc

that? i think that was just a "Guitar of the Month". don't even get me started on that bright idea...
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
what the hell is wrong with Gibson?! first, they discontinued the LES PAUL STANDARD!! WTF?!?! that's like their flagship model!!

then they replace it with this "2008 Standard", this POS les paul with an asymmetrical neck (that feels like crap, imo) and "deluxe upgrades" like a Neutrik cable lock, metal tuners (ZOMG!!!) and straplocks.

then, they discontinue not one, not two but FIVE other les paul models, including the standard plus, the BFG, the Classic and the premium studio.

that not it, they are also ditching the firebird studio and the X-plorer pro.

here's the kicker: they are still keeping the reverse V, Melody maker AND the Billie Joe Armstrong LP junior (:grrr.

now I am pissed off because I love playing Les Pauls and SGs, but I find new reasons to hate Gibson everyday! it's like those high tension marriages from hell that last 20 years and ends in murder suicide!!!

sorry guys, just wanted to vent.

your opinions?
What? Didn't anybody even check? http://www.gibson.com/en-us/divisions/gibson%20usa/products/lespaul/

as of 2008/09/16

Quote by Jhachey22

Then get an LP Traditional an if you don't like any of those things. That's why it's there...
yah i was on the gibson site today and i was like wtf, since when have all these guitars been disco'd, it doesn't make any sense. wtf.
at least they didn't discontinue the LP studio.
gotta grab one before they drop that too.
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.
Quote by kranoscorp
It's going to be next to impossible to get a firebird now. The firebird studio was rediculously hard to get, and have you ever even seen a firebird VII in a guitarcenter? I havn't.

I played an Antique White one.

SOoooooo sexy.
I wouldn't miss any of those models if the 2008 Standard weren't such a dog. Some of the changes are good, all guitars should come with strap locks and the locking bridge isn't a bad idea. Chambering? Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid. It's a Les Paul, not an Electric Spanish. As for the neck, it's just an excuse not to shape them properly. Workers can spend less time perfecting each neck and necks that would (or should) be rejected will be sent out. Sad.

There should be no more than 3 or 4 Les Paul models from Gibson USA. Something like the Studio, for those who can't afford a Les Paul but still want Gibson on the headstock (one born every minute), and a model each for the '59 and '60 Les Paul. Give us some darn options, like with pickguard or without. Maybe even combine the '59 and '60 into one guitar, with your choice of necks. Might confuse the mouth breathers though.

Rotate models through that 4th slot. Make chambered model for a bit(did I mention that chambering is stupid?), then a "classic" or whatever. Anything else should be handled by the Custom shop.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Guys, the "traditional" is the same thing as the old "Standard," except it doesn't have the weight relief holes you all complained about.
They won't get rid of the Studio any time soon, it's one of their biggest sellers. I'm sad to see the BFG and the Classic go though, I liked those, especially the BFG.
And the firebirds aren't that popular- I know they look cool, but I can't remember the last time I saw someone playing one outside of a guitar shop or a johnny winter concert.
Quote by Roc8995
Guys, the "traditional" is the same thing as the old "Standard," except it doesn't have the weight relief holes you all complained about.

The Traditional model isn't chambered but it has weight relief holes. Weight relief holes are still silly but much less wood is removed compared to chambering.
Ah, are they with the holes? I know there's a model without, I must be thinking of a different one. Anyway, pretty much every Les paul anyone on this forum has ever played was weight relieved, so I'm not sure how you'd know that it's a bad idea.
Quote by Roc8995
Ah, are they with the holes? I know there's a model without, I must be thinking of a different one.

The Custom shop VOS models don't have relief holes. I'm not aware of any USA models without them.

Anyway, pretty much every Les paul anyone on this forum has ever played was weight relieved, so I'm not sure how you'd know that it's a bad idea.

It's not that I think the weight relief holes are a disaster, I can't tell the difference between a '59 Custom LP and a Standard based on the weight relief. I'd just rather they spent more time on QC and less on easing aching backs. For the price Gibson charges, the flaws I've seen in some LPs were criminal. But Gibson sells plenty of relieved and chambered Les Pauls, so I'm obviously in the minority.
Meh. They are too expensive anyways, I would rather just build one myself using the same materials for $2000 cheaper!
Ain't nothin wrong, ain't nothin right, and still I sit and lie awake all night...
Page 1 of 4