Ok, so I'm thinking about buying an Edwards 112 guitar. (Les Paul + EMG's).

I've pretty much made the decision that's what I'm going to get, but I just need to know one little thing, I actually managed to contact someone who has actually had one at one point and time (and withing 75 miles of me too!) and he told me the neck was almost exactly like the '59 LP Gibson neck. So my question is, if the neck is essentially a '59, is it classified as the "50's" Gibson neck profile (thicker) or the "60's" Gibson neck profile (thinner)?

I know this may be confusing, sorry. I'm just not very well informed of older Gibson, the new one's I vaguely know, but I wasn't around when they were "the guitar".
I kinda figured it would be the 50s neck. Hmmm... I may reconsider and save up for a ESP eclipse standard...

I mean I like the 50's neck, it's comfortable (I have HUGE hands) but I really feel it limits me compared to the 60's neck.

Or maybe I should just save for a Gibson then pop EMG's in it (I know blasphemy etc etc.)
I have fairly large hands (wouldn't call them huge), and I just find the 50s neck to be a massive limitation on shredding, etc. It's alright for your generic blues licks and what have you, but the Les Paul is hardly the most playable guitar to begin with, you don't need the thickest neck on earth to make it worse. I find the 60s neck to be just about perfect.
The '59 reissue necks are usually a tad smaller than the 50's necks, but definitely closer to those than the '60s.
The 59s are all made by hand though so the necks vary quite a bit, making it pretty useless for comparisons.
The '59 neck isn't the 50's neck.

Gibson currently do five neck profiles on Les Pauls:
- 60's production slim taper, the slimmest. Akin to early SGs, and not that far off the Epiphone profile. A little slimmer than a Fender neck at the 1st fret, about the same as a Fender at the 16th.
- 50's production, little thicker than a new standard Fender neck, and is an even thickness all the way through.
- New currently unnamed profile on the 2008 Standards, is the same size as the 50's profile on the top side and the same as the 60's profile on the bottom half.
- '59 neck (production), thickest, just under an inch thick (0.96" in fact) all the way down the neck, even thickness across the whole neck. Exclusive to Gibson Custom Shop.
- '59 VOS/Reissue (custom/VOS), starts off as a production '59 then lightly hand-sanded down with a slight taper. A bit thicker than a 50's, bit slimmer than a production '59, and every one is slightly different due to them being finished by hand after the initial machine shaping (just as they were back in 1959). Real 1959 necks are ever so slightly slimmer than this usually (but again, every single one is slightly different anyway).

What most people mean when they say 'a thick Gibson neck' or 'a 1959 LP neck', isn't actually what a '59 neck is like. They usually just mean anything that's any thicker than a Fender neck. Few people have ever felt the neck of a real 1959 Les Paul so they're not going to have an accurate idea of what they're like, and most people just guess.

For what it's worth, I've used every type of neck Gibson have ever produced, and I've played (in fact, I used to own) and Edwards LP copy - and I'd say the neck was closest to a new standard Fender Stratocaster neck, rather than any Gibson. I suppose if I had to pick a Gibson neck to compare it to, I'd say it was closer to the regular 50's production neck, but it was a touch slimmer.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The '59 neck isn't the 50's neck.

Gibson currently do five neck profiles on Les Pauls:
- 60's production slim taper, the slimmest. Akin to early SGs, and not that far off the Epiphone profile. A little slimmer than a Fender neck at the 1st fret, about the same as a Fender at the 16th.
- 50's production, little thicker than a new standard Fender neck, and is an even thickness all the way through.
- New currently unnamed profile on the 2008 Standards, is the same size as the 50's profile on the top side and the same as the 60's profile on the bottom half.
- '59 neck (production), thickest, just under an inch thick (0.96" in fact) all the way down the neck, even thickness across the whole neck. Exclusive to Gibson Custom Shop.
- '59 VOS/Reissue (custom/VOS), starts off as a production '59 then lightly hand-sanded down with a slight taper. A bit thicker than a 50's, bit slimmer than a production '59, and every one is slightly different due to them being finished by hand after the initial machine shaping (just as they were back in 1959). Real 1959 necks are ever so slightly slimmer than this usually (but again, every single one is slightly different anyway).

What most people mean when they say 'a thick Gibson neck' or 'a 1959 LP neck', isn't actually what a '59 neck is like. They usually just mean anything that's any thicker than a Fender neck. Few people have ever felt the neck of a real 1959 Les Paul so they're not going to have an accurate idea of what they're like, and most people just guess.

For what it's worth, I've used every type of neck Gibson have ever produced, and I've played (in fact, I used to own) and Edwards LP copy - and I'd say the neck was closest to a new standard Fender Stratocaster neck, rather than any Gibson. I suppose if I had to pick a Gibson neck to compare it to, I'd say it was closer to the regular 50's production neck, but it was a touch slimmer.

Dude... You... WIN. That was probably the most help I ever got from one post .

Hmmm, I will think more on the Edwards, but I've just been told by my parents that if I can pass this school year with all A's (don't worry, I'm by no means taking easy classes, a few college classes in fact and if I pass them I get 8 hours of college credit for free, which is not cheap) then they'll help me get a Gibson LP, and possibly even a custom shop Yeah I about shat my pants...

Anyways, thanks for all the help guys I'm gonna go study now