Hi guys, I've been looking for a new amp for several months now and I've been to my guitar shop (which is kinda far from where I live) to try out some.

I've tried a marshall dsl, but it didn't do it for me, I don't know why, just didn't make it

I've also tried a fender supersonic: not enough gain
Then I tried an orange tiny terror, great little beast, but 15W may not be enough clean headroom for me
I also tried the VM, but I want at least 2 channels

Then I tried the hughes and kettner statesman, man I really liked the tone. The only thing is that they only had a head at my guitar shop (it's a dual el34) and I want a combo. There is a combo of that serie but it's made with el84, so I was asking myself if the tone and the amount of gain (which was perfect for what I play because I play alot of classic rock, early metal, a lot of modern rock things and also some shred) would be pretty much the same or totally different

The employee had no clue because he never tried the combo

So if you guys have tried both or only the combo and could give me some feedbacks

As well, if you have some other suggestions of amps to check out, it would be very much appreciated.
Quote by wannabe#1
Hi guys, I've been looking for a new amp for several months now and I've been to my guitar shop (which is kinda far from where I live) to try out some.

I've tried a marshall dsl, but it didn't do it for me, I don't know why, just didn't make it

I've also tried a fender supersonic: not enough gain
Then I tried an orange tiny terror, great little beast, but 15W may not be enough clean headroom for me
I also tried the VM, but I want at least 2 channels

Then I tried the hughes and kettner statesman, man I really liked the tone. The only thing is that they only had a head at my guitar shop (it's a dual el34) and I want a combo. There is a combo of that serie but it's made with el84, so I was asking myself if the tone and the amount of gain (which was perfect for what I play because I play alot of classic rock, early metal, a lot of modern rock things and also some shred) would be pretty much the same or totally different

The employee had no clue because he never tried the combo

So if you guys have tried both or only the combo and could give me some feedbacks

As well, if you have some other suggestions of amps to check out, it would be very much appreciated.

Just get the head and a 2x12. Unless of course you're going to have issues with space, but a head+2x12 is actually easier to transport than a combo

Quote by mcrfobtai
They would be pretty similar and worst comes to worst, you get el34's and have a tech bias it.

...you can't just throw any old tubes in an EL84 amp...
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by kool98769 at Sep 16, 2008,
Quote by mcrfobtai
They would be pretty similar and worst comes to worst, you get el34's and have a tech bias it.

I don't believe they are the same size nor is the pin layout the same.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by kool98769
Just get the head and a 2x12. Unless of course you're going to have issues with space, but a head+2x12 is actually easier to transport than a combo

+1

Or replacing the tubes, as said above, will also do the trick.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I don't believe they are the same size nor is the pin layout the same.

Ahh, you may be right. Shit
If not, you could even fit it on a 1x12
I is, just wikied it, EL34=8 pin, EL84=9 pin mini.

That being said, the circuit has more to do with the sound than the tubes, and while they won't sound exactly the same I'd bet it would be close.

Head + 2x12 is always sexy though.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I is, just wikied it, EL34=8 pin, EL84=9 pin mini.

That being said, the circuit has more to do with the sound than the tubes, and while they won't sound exactly the same I'd bet it would be close.

Head + 2x12 is always sexy though.

I like the look of a 212 more than a 412. 412 looks stumpy, while 212 just classy.
But tubes do contribute some anyway. I think el34s and 84s sound similar anyway. Didn't they use 84's on Vox's? All sort of a British sound.
Yup, but my mesa has el84s and I wouldn't say its very british at all.
I know tubes aren't all the tone, I'm just saying, you know, they help.
Like you said, the wiring and circutry are more important. I could put KT66's in a deluxe reverb but it aint gonna sound like a marshall
Last edited by mcrfobtai at Sep 16, 2008,
Thanks a lot guys, but the reason why I don't want the head is that the head is more expensive than the combo AND I'd need to buy a 2X12 cuz I dont have any at home so it would be kinda out of my budget...

I just hope it's gonna be pretty much the same tone because I may not even be able to try it before I actually buy it....

You guys have other amps suggestion?
Quote by wannabe#1
Thanks a lot guys, but the reason why I don't want the head is that the head is more expensive than the combo AND I'd need to buy a 2X12 cuz I dont have any at home so it would be kinda out of my budget...

I just hope it's gonna be pretty much the same tone because I may not even be able to try it before I actually buy it....

You guys have other amps suggestion?

Just buy the Statesman

Make sure you order the Dual El84 one and not the Quad though. The Quad is ridiculously loud. I took it to a gig, a room full of about 500+ people. I had it turned up to 4 and it was almost too loud even then.

That said, the sound between the El34 and the EL84s will be a little different, but it'll still sound like the same basic amp.

I can record some sound clips if you really want to know what it'd sound like.