Page 1 of 5
So i was going to a battle of the bands audition and i was talking to this girl i just met. She ask me what i was going to play. I told tell Hallowed Be Thy Name by Maiden, Something from Sabbath or priest, and an original. She started telling me that it was a bad idea. She told me to cover Devil wears prada or any other Death or Metalcore. Any As I lay dying ect. I havent listened to metal through a listeners point of view in a lot of years but as a musician. Is music really gone down the drain this much. I listened to Devil Wears Prada and no solos or they were crap. Im not saying everyone should listen to Malmsteen or Satriani but Maiden is going out of style and Metalcore and Screamo and Death Metal are in. Im not even saying bands like Amon Amarth, Byzantine, Death, or Necrophagist are in but more like Job For A Cowboy. Also people don't like thrash anymore unless its Metallica or Slayer.

Does anyone have an opinion on this. Im i wrong for liking maiden or priest or sabbath or iced earth. When people ask me about what i listen to and i say Metal people assume its Death Metal. Is it Guitar Hero that is making people stay awy from priest and maiden or Sabbath

SOrry about WAll of TeXt
Last edited by trashyant at Sep 16, 2008,
no ones wrong about liking any kind of music thats the beauty of music there is no right or wrong things to listen to. unless maybe its the jonas brothers or miley cyrus then you need to be castrated
A lot of bands I listen to don't solo, but then a lot also do. She just sounds like an idiot. Maiden > TDWP
Quote by trashyant
So i was going to a battle of the bands audition and i was talking to this girl i just met. She ask me what i was going to play. I told tell Hallowed Be Thy Name by Maiden, Something from Sabbath or priest, and an original. She started telling me that it was a bad idea. She told me to cover Devil wears prada or any other Daeth or Metalcore. Any As I lay dying ect. I havent listened to metal through a listeners point of view in a lot of years but as a musician. Is music really gone down the drain this much. I listened to Devil Wears Prada and no solos or they were crap. Im not saying everyone should listen to Malmsteen or Satriani but Maiden is going out of style and Metalcore and Screamo and Death Metal are in. Im not even saying bands like Amon Amarth, Byzantine, Death, or Necrophagist are in but more like Job For A Cowboy. Also people don't like thrash anymore unless its Metallica or Slayer.

Does anyone have an opinion on this. Im i wrong for liking maiden or priest or sabbath or iced earth. When people ask me about what i listen to and i say Metal people assume its Death Metal. Is it Guitar Hero that is making people stay awy from priest and maiden or Sabbath

Holy shit wall of text.

I only bothered to read the bottom, and I say hell no. I've never seen any death metal in GH, and they have a Sabbath, Priest, or Maiden song in like every ****ing game!
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
I don't think Maiden or any other metal band is going out of style. It just happens that there is a large population that doesn't listen to them, and a large population that does. You just have to look for them.
"Ultimate"-Guitar is the worst website on the internet. Polluted with unintelligent mongoloids.
Well, it makes sense that Maiden, Sabbath, and Priest are going out of style. They are old news and old people. It's time for change. Plus, they weren't that great anyway, just meh.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
DONT DISS DEVIL WEARS PRADA!

And that being said, I like hard-core/screamo way more than I like old school metal. But to each their own.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
I love Sabbath/Priest/Maiden. I also like real death metal and black metal. The only deathcore band I like is Bring Me The Horizon. I actually hate Job For A Cowboy and all that crap.

As for thrash metal, I listen to those.. and also Darkane, Kreator, Testament, etc.

But ya, people need to learn to respect the older metal bands, and metal bands that are actually good instead of like.. Job For A Cowboy.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
well, playing a battle of the bands for kids is exactly why. that particular audience is generally more into the screamy hardcore stuff as compared to the classic metal we all know and love like Maiden, Priest, and Sabbath. it's just the scene. however, i'm sure that those songs would get a good reaction... anyone who boos you off the stage for playing Sabbath needs to be shot anyway.
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:
Fred Durst is the Tom Green of music

No, some people actually like Tom Green.

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:
I can't see Jimi approving of this.

Me neither, due to him not being alive and all.
Kids these days not listening to music from 30 years ago? What the hell is up with that?
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
everyone has their own opinion and can listen to any type of music they want. i've never been into metal but i must say i like the older stuff alot better then the new stuff. i personally cant stand bands like job for a cowboy but thats just me.
Quote by dmiwshicldply
no ones wrong about liking any kind of music thats the beauty of music there is no right or wrong things to listen to. unless maybe its the jonas brothers or miley cyrus then you need to be castrated

This
Quote by james4
she likes devil wears prada, you don't.

you like maiden, she doesn't.

it's a matter of opinion.

Who cares what other people listen to if they like it?

its not and opinion. its fact that all screamo/hardcore/any-core totally sucks compared to the awesomeness of iron maiden, black sabbath, judas priest, early megadeth, early metallica
Quote by darkstar2466
Well, it makes sense that Maiden, Sabbath, and Priest are going out of style. They are old news and old people. It's time for change. Plus, they weren't that great anyway, just meh.

BLASPHEMY
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by ironman1478
its not and opinion. its fact that all screamo/hardcore/any-core totally sucks compared to the awesomeness of iron maiden, black sabbath, judas priest, early megadeth, early metallica

oh stop being an elitist metal toerag and grow up.
Quote by trashyant
So i was going to a battle of the bands audition and i was talking to this girl i just met. She ask me what i was going to play. I told tell Hallowed Be Thy Name by Maiden, Something from Sabbath or priest, and an original. She started telling me that it was a bad idea. She told me to cover Devil wears prada or any other Death or Metalcore. Any As I lay dying ect. I havent listened to metal through a listeners point of view in a lot of years but as a musician. Is music really gone down the drain this much. I listened to Devil Wears Prada and no solos or they were crap. Im not saying everyone should listen to Malmsteen or Satriani but Maiden is going out of style and Metalcore and Screamo and Death Metal are in. Im not even saying bands like Amon Amarth, Byzantine, Death, or Necrophagist are in but more like Job For A Cowboy. Also people don't like thrash anymore unless its Metallica or Slayer.

SOrry about WAll of TeXt

what age are you dude.. im in my 20s and i went through the whole music sucks now and why dont people like the classics thing a few years ago but i do like a lot of newer bands like gojira, opeth, russian circles etc. i think music is just blending together..eg enter shikari they do like progressive indie electro death metal or something haha.
Quote by KThxBai.
what age are you dude.. im in my 20s and i went through the whole music sucks now and why dont people like the classics thing a few years ago but i do like a lot of newer bands like gojira, opeth, russian circles etc. i think music is just blending together..eg enter shikari they do like progressive indie electro death metal or something haha.

Adding to this, the only reason why people think older music is better is because you don't get the crap from back then. Of course older music sounds better if the only music you hear from then is the stuff that was "good" and stood the test of time. During the time of, say, The Beatles, there would have been as much "crap" as there is today.

Good and crap being completely opinionated.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

wtf is a toerag. also i didn't mean to sound elitist, its just i can't contemplate why people would like all this stuff
i dont want to DISS any band unless they really do suck out of control. I respect her opinion. Its just that i don't understand that people like Job For a Cowboy and say that Maiden is just another band. Metal nowadays is Metalcore and Death. People assume you like this when you say you like Metal

EDIT: im only 16 and think OPETH is really good. I like progressive stuff. I like Dream Theater better because they don't scream. When i want to Listen to Death i listen to it not Metalcore or Pig Squeals
Last edited by trashyant at Sep 16, 2008,
Just listen to/play whatever you want, dont concern yourself with scenes.
Quote by Zardokk
Everybody must get stoned! (If they are me.)
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Wait, how can he be an elitist by loving the same bands as my stupid redneck uncle? Sarah Palin and I are pretty sure that elitism only happens while eating arugula.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by ironman1478
wtf is a toerag. also i didn't mean to sound elitist, its just i can't contemplate why people would like all this stuff

Ever thought that some other people might niot be able to contemplate why you like the older stuff? It works both ways. You don't need to understand why, you should just accept that other people have different tastes. The sooner people realise that, the nicer a place the world will be.

A toerag is another way of saying twit, or pain in the ass, btw.
Quote by dmiwshicldply

ur right...there is no right or wrong for music...HOWEVER todays popular stuff is not music...stuff such as crappy hiphop music all based around trying to be the cool new macarena, crappy tween music like the mentioned jonas faggots/mullet cyrus, or garbage guitar and vocal tracks spit up in bands like 'devil wears prada' or 'panic at the disco'; its all stupid crap that is murdering the good music of the past...AND
a song is only popular these days if its danceable, a wanna be love song with horrible lyrics, or a song with very repetitive annoying guitar parts (hey there delilah)...thats my rant...lol

gear:
line 6 spider valve 212
ibanez RG5EX1
vinci VE5PK
Quote by Gmp
Because the songs don't have solos they're crap?

yes
RIP George Carlin (1937-2008)
Does it matter? Its been stated before, but i'll say it again. You can listen to whatever you want to. And other people can listen to what they want to. There's no reason for someone to get on another person's case for having a different taste in music, or different opinion. But people always think that they are better than someone else who is different than them. YOU may not get why people like The Devil Wears Prada, and YOU may think that Maiden is the BEST band ever, or something. But other people have DIFFERENT opinions, and will think the same about TDWP, that you think of Maiden. Before you go making yourself look like a stuck up moron, please understand that people don't HAVE to like the same music, and it doesn't make them less if they don't.
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Peter Pan didn't want to grow up, and he got the chick, killed the pirate, and got a ****ing pimped flying ship. Why would we want to grow up?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Ever thought that some other people might niot be able to contemplate why you like the older stuff? It works both ways. You don't need to understand why, you should just accept that other people have different tastes. The sooner people realise that, the nicer a place the world will be.

A toerag is another way of saying twit, or pain in the ass, btw.

that makes sense. also i totally lawled at your avatar for some reason
Quote by juancsego
ur right...there is no right or wrong for music...HOWEVER todays popular stuff is not music...

How is it not music? Give me a working definition of music and then explain how the jonas brothers don't fit under that umbrella.
I like tdwp because I like how they incorporate synth and vocals into a harsh chaotic sound. I'm not too keen on their image, or lack of solos, but I don't really think a guitar solo would really fit them well.
Its the new music. It's "cutting edge" and "pushes the limit" (even though you can't really understand what they're saying). For the most part, people think metalcore/death metal is cooler cuz its heavier and more intense. But really they're two different types of music. And I'm sure there are more traditional metal fans than screamo/core music, its just not the big thing right now.

Who the hell prefers Bring Me The Horizon to Job For a Cowboy?

It's like really shitty screamodeath vs. merely sub par death metal.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
I don't think solo's by any means make the song. I grew up listening to Metallica, and a lot of older heavier stuff with solo's etc. Lately, I've been listening to a lot of bands like The Devil Wears Prada, Alesana, Escape The Fate, etc. Whether people like it or not, solo's don't make the song. And i think that people need to understand that just because they are new and different from the classic metal bands, that it doesn't make them less of a band. They still make music that a ton of people love, they are just different. And i think people need to accept that.
Quote by ironman1478

The decline of modern civilization.

Chill out guys, Hardcore fans can say the same about 80's metal.

I'm a big fan of nearly every genre of music:

Metal, Metalcore, Screamo, Hardcore, Folk Rock, Old-school Hip hop, Classical Guitar arrangements, Classic Rock, Progressive Metal/Rock, Blues, Acoustic, Instrumental Guitar, etc.

There's no point arguing over what isn't music and what is.

Some people enjoy some music, others enjoy other music.
Deal with it.
Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Billie Joe is a really good guitarist, Green Day is like the best shred band around.

^Fails.
Last edited by ~Led~Zepp~Owns~ at Sep 16, 2008,
Page 1 of 5