Do you ever think you can't do something with a certain guitar and think that you should go get something else?
Say you don't think you'd ever be able to shred on a stratocaster, because the higher frets are thick as hell, so you need to buy an Ibanez?

I can't seem to get over the fact that a strat is limiting me, yet I look at Yngwie, who I consider one of the best easily, and he makes it look efortless.

It seems to me like its 80% mental and 20% physically, possibly 70/30 or 90/10.

Your thoughts.
Baxter, you know I don't speak spanish.
I believe that a its player not the guitar that matters. I bet yngwie could pick up any guitar he wants and shred on it. the tone might not be quite there or all the playability, but the skill will always be there no matter what you are playing. I'm a lp guy (prominently washburn idols) but I can pickup my buddy's $100 squire and tear it a new hole.

try getting the frets evenly filed on it, and a good setup if it doesnt have one. or go out a play every guitar you can get your hands on to find something thats to your liking. just a thought for you
Well there are some things you will need a different guitar for. Like you need a floating trem for certain things, etc. I think it's just something to work on for technique. An ibanez will play a lot different from a les paul but if you work on your playing you can shred on either one.
Technically you could play anything on any guitar, but there are certain guitars that are made for certain genres.
you cant compare youre strat to yngwies. he uses huge frets and the fretbaord is scalloped. but if you can shred you can shred on any guitar without a setup that heavily favors tone over playability which is extremely rare on any unmodified electric guitar. expensive guitars are mostly a matter of comfort and good intonation on a accurately made fretboard to prevent fretting out and buzz. and another thing if you can make your guitar fret out when youre trying to bending the sht out of it but it doesnt come out when you play its not a real problem.
Quote by twistudriffer
I believe that a its player not the guitar that matters. I bet yngwie could pick up any guitar he wants and shred on it. the tone might not be quite there or all the playability, but the skill will always be there no matter what you are playing. I'm a lp guy (prominently washburn idols) but I can pickup my buddy's $100 squire and tear it a new hole.

try getting the frets evenly filed on it, and a good setup if it doesnt have one. or go out a play every guitar you can get your hands on to find something thats to your liking. just a thought for you

+1

This man speaks truth. Guitar feel is about what you personally like and what feels comfortable to you. It is not objective.

For example, Jeff Loomis who tears it up pretty well uses Schecters which have decently fatter necks, but people such as Paul Gilbert use mainly Ibanez. Its all prefernce.

It is a mental block I think yo uset for yourself, or just require more practice on the higher frets. Just put some work/effort into it. Start slowly, then speed up if necessary. It may take some time but nit will be worth it. Being only able to play on certain guitars is a big hinderance on you as a guitarist.
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
I just find cos i run 11-49's on my main guitar i have a bit of trouble overdoing bends when i play guitars with more normal sized strings
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by CrushedCan
So stop using 11's?

I think he means he is used to 11's so much that lighter strings are too light for him. So he should just get everyone to use 11's.
Real men don't need sigs.