I have been reading a lot about anchoring here in the advanced techniques forum.

Is anchoring done only with the fingers or also with the palm?

Watch me play and let me know if my technique is anchoring or not so that I can start to fix it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXmRfweFjzY
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
You appear to be anchoring your palm to the guitar. One good test is to try playing with your hand totally OFF the guitar. If you struggle to play things you would normally play well, you are probably anchoring.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
ohj my god. that looks very tense. lower your arm a bit man. relax. its fine to ahve your forearm loosely resting ont the gutiar but not stationary. and yes you are fixing your wrist in place. so it is anchoring
Your wrist is anchored so yes.

nice guitar btw... is it black or dark blue? I can't tell.
hue
It's the transparent blue finish.

alright. I'll start trying to do everything "floating". I probably picked up this habit way back when I first learned how to palm mute.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by elchico04
I have been reading a lot about anchoring here in the advanced techniques forum.

Is anchoring done only with the fingers or also with the palm?

Watch me play and let me know if my technique is anchoring or not so that I can start to fix it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXmRfweFjzY

yep, thats anchoring.

try taking the wrist off of the guitar. Let your hand float freely.
shred is gaudy music
Note, it's ok to rest on the guitar's body. It's only anchoring when you are "fixed" to it in a way that limits your movement.
Quote by se012101
Note, it's ok to rest on the guitar's body. It's only anchoring when you are "fixed" to it in a way that limits your movement.

correct, but you don't want to have the wrist anchored like he does in that video. You can see the angle of the wrist. Thats exactly the type of anchoring that leads to carpal tunnel. Playing for years with the wrist on an angle like that could mean some seriously trouble.... the kind you never want to experience.

if you rest your fingers (or a finger) lightly on the pick-guard, it keeps the wrist at a natural angle. Or just close the hand in a loose relaxed fist. The main thing is the wrist should be floating, not attached to the guitar. For palm muting, your palm will obviously mute the strings but your wrist is still away from the guitar.
shred is gaudy music
Should my forearm be resting on the guitar or should the only contact be with my pick?
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
your forearm can be resting, as long as its not tense. why else would they make arm rests. And think about, during live shows when you are running around, how would you know what string you are going to pick?
To see picking perfection personified. Check out some videos of Shawn Lane.Totally unanchored...cleaner than anyone I have ever heard
Andy
Quote by elchico04
Should my forearm be resting on the guitar or should the only contact be with my pick?

your forearm should rest on the guitar... but not your wrist.

shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 20, 2008,
Quote by RCalisto
nah you're not anchoring anymore.

btw guitarmonky, al di meola anchors

LOL yeah I guess he does.

ignore that picture then.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Free to Guitar
You appear to be anchoring your palm to the guitar. One good test is to try playing with your hand totally OFF the guitar. If you struggle to play things you would normally play well, you are probably anchoring.

Sorry that this thread is like 2 years old, but I had a question...

Is having the edge of your wrist (That Ball sort of thing below the palm, not technically part of your hand) Anchoring? I have my palm on the strings of the guitar, Above the bridge, for palm muting. My forearm is touching the guitar, and this is a very relaxed posistion for me. No tension, no strain, So is this improper?
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Sorry that this thread is like 2 years old, but I had a question...

Is having the edge of your wrist (That Ball sort of thing below the palm, not technically part of your hand) Anchoring? I have my palm on the strings of the guitar, Above the bridge, for palm muting. My forearm is touching the guitar, and this is a very relaxed posistion for me. No tension, no strain, So is this improper?

If you can't play properly without keeping your palm how it is, then you are anchoring. It's up to you whether or not you want to change your position. And let dead threads rest in peace.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.