So... I'm kinda in the market to buy a cabinet. Currently I'm running through some old... old.. old! Crate brand 412 model GC412S. Basically... I like the cabinet. It's clear, has good low end and is really responsive to my head, but it's old and I don't own the cabinet plus it's had it's days (one of the speakers has a rip + electrical tape holding it!!)

My question is basically, does anyone have any experience with this cabinet? Is it relatively "high" quality? What can it be compared to today, so I have an idea of where to start shopping for cabinets. My goal is basically not to end up with some MG series cabinet...

Many thanks.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Here are a few questions that will better help answer your question.

What type of music do you play?
What is your budget?
Are you willing to go used and if so, what major city do you live near?
Metal/death metal.
This is flexible, I can go as low as $250 (cheapest I've seen on guitar center) and as high as like $600 (but that would mean I can't buy now.)
I'm willing to go used, problem is I like to shop early so I'm not exactly prepared to throw money down right now. But, Orange.
Quote by sargasm
Bump? I was hoping to come home to a ton of posts! lol. Quick question about stereo cabinets. If you only plug into 1 of the 2 jacks on the back, does only 2 of the 4 speakers work? I just found out today the GC412 I'm playing through is either broken or follows this system...
Quote by sargasm
^Too soon for a bump. Check out a B-52 cab. They're on sale for 299, i think, and it'll be fine with your TBX.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
^Too soon for a bump.

Sue me?

Thanks for the advice, but do you have any info on stereo cabs or the Crate GC412? I'm sorta curious about them...

*EDIT*

I can't find any info on the impedance of B-52 cabinets? Specifically the $299 LS 412.
Quote by sargasm
Last edited by `digitaL.braVo at Sep 17, 2008,
I won't sue you, but you'll get better help if you follow the rules.

I'm not familiar with the GC412S, or Stereo cabs in general, but if your head is outputting a mono signal and you're in the proper input in the cab, all four speakers should work. Honestly, I'm not sure.

Don't judge me.
Dang. I'm wondering if it's broke. I tried both inputs on the cabinet, neither made all 4 speakers work. (Dunno if you read my above edit?) I can't find impedance info on the B-52 LS 412 cabinet?
Quote by sargasm
Quote by theoreticmusic
I'm not familiar with the GC412S, or Stereo cabs in general, but if your head is outputting a mono signal and you're in the proper input in the cab, all four speakers should work. Honestly, I'm not sure.

Yes, they should all work. I have a B52 cab thats doing the same thing. The only way to get all 4 speakers to work is to plug-in in stereo. I called a tech guy at B52 and he said the impedence switch on the back of the cab is probably broken.

Maybe thats your problem too.

Good luck
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
^What he said. And he has the cab that's on sale, so you might want to ask him how he likes it.

And generally you wait at least 24 hours for a bump.

Don't judge me.
Quote by sabbathu
Yes, they should all work. I have a B52 cab thats doing the same thing. The only way to get all 4 speakers to work is to plug-in in stereo. I called a tech guy at B52 and he said the impedence switch on the back of the cab is probably broken.

Maybe thats your problem too.

Good luck

Well the GC412 doesn't have an impedance switch. It only works for 8ohms (max 140w). I'm thinking of popping it open to find out if maybe the speakers are damaged...
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Well the GC412 doesn't have an impedance switch. It only works for 8ohms (max 140w). I'm thinking of popping it open to find out if maybe the speakers are damaged...

You should still be getting some sort of shitty sound unless the speakers are completely disconnected.

Don't judge me.
Well if anything is coming out it is many many times quieter than any sound coming from the upper 2 speakers .
Quote by sargasm
^ That's a shame.

Did you get a chance to open it up yet? Any way we could get a picture of the connections to see if anything is messed up?
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Haven't opened. Tomorrow after 10 (doctors appointment x.x...) I'm gonna mess with connections and see if I can get it to work with all 4 speakers. I hope it doesn't come to cracking it open though.
Quote by sargasm