Hey R&R

My music situation has changed dramatically in the last few months and I’ve decided that, with my guitarist, we need some basic recording gear. This is presenting some problems, however, in that we’re still in high school and lacking money.

What I have:
-32-bit Vista computer with USB 2.0 and firewire
-Boss GT-8
-Reaper, Audacity, and basic software knowledge
-about $250-300 (read: ebay)

What I need to record (ranked from most to least important):
-distorted guitar from a tube amp
-vocals
-clean guitar from a tube amp
-acoustic guitar (not necessary)
-no acoustic drums for now. It’d be nice to prepare for them in the future, though.
-all of this is recording only. We don’t need them for a live situation.

What I need to get:
-interface (preferably firewire, with 2+ microphone preamps, phantom power/midi would be nice)
-microphone that records all of the previously stated instruments

What I’ve considered for an interface:
-Presonus Inspire—compatible with Vista and firewire, but no phantom power or midi
-Mackie Onyx Satellite—not compatible with Vista=bust

What I’ve considered for a microphone:
-SM57—good for mic’ing an amp, not so much on vocals/acoustic guitar
-SM58—vocal microphone, not as good for anything else
-MXL 990—I’ve been told it does everything, but no phantom power on the inspire=bust

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Quote by solidsnake15
So when I bring girls home to my apartment and I've got dual monitors they get wet and say damn you can check your myspace on one screen and be watching lord of the rings on the other.
I'd get the 990/991 MXL set to start...a SM57 would be a nice thing to have if you have the extra cash.

The Inspire has phantom and is a nice start but if you need MIDI for a keyboard EMU makes a $30 USB cable which is good.
The Mackie is a very nice interface but as you know, it wont work on vista and I don't have any clue on when they are coming out with drivers....or if they even plan on getting those out...

Is it possible for your guys to go to a studio to record?
$300 will get it done however you can get much better recording with the higher end gear and knowledge from a pro studio.
I'd say if your top priority is recording a tube amp then a firewire interface and an SM57 should be your first purchase.

You can use that SM57 for vocs and acoustic. It won't sound great, but it will be passable until you can afford a decent condenser for this specific application.

Look for a firewire interface that you can daisy chain, and that has phantom power. I think the PreSonus Inspire fits that bill...

DS

EDIT: The 990/991 combo moody suggest is great entry level set. Also check out the MXL V63M.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Shoot, I can't believe I didn't see that the inspire had phantom power. Well, that seems like my final decision for an interface then.

I've been told that Mackie has no plans to make Vista drivers because they've apparently lost too much money making the Satellite.

As for looking into studios--I'm not looking into making platinum records for now. I'm just looking into getting some decent home recording done for the most part. In the future I will look into professional studio work.

Would it be a smart decision to go about getting a single 990 and an sm57, the former for vocals/acoustic and the latter for mic'ing amps?

Thanks all
Quote by solidsnake15
So when I bring girls home to my apartment and I've got dual monitors they get wet and say damn you can check your myspace on one screen and be watching lord of the rings on the other.