Hi,
yeh currently i have no pedals/effects and id like to get one etc, what type of distortion does metallica use and judas priest n such
cos ive tried a big muff but thats too distorted
well i bought a line 6 floor pod for bought 200 bucks has there built in distorion and many others... like van halen gnr satch and watnot... also has flange...chours...phraser...delay...sweep echo... and reverb... so u got everthing built in ... i really reconmend it .. also has wah/volume pedal
well my amp is a roland cube 20x, and to be honest i dont like the effects that much, doesnt sound that good, would something like a boss DS1 be good?
Quote by RunWithTheDevil
well my amp is a roland cube 20x, and to be honest i dont like the effects that much, doesnt sound that good, would something like a boss DS1 be good?

Not in the long run. If you don't like how your amp sounds, you should save up to get another one.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
hmm, ive been looking at some amps and i want a valve one, what are some good valve amps for a home (practice) that arent too small, and max price like $700

also does eddie van halen just use amp distortion/efx or any pedals?
Quote by RunWithTheDevil
hmm, ive been looking at some amps and i want a valve one, what are some good valve amps for a home (practice) that arent too small, and max price like $700

also does eddie van halen just use amp distortion/efx or any pedals?

EVH's sound is most famous FOR his amp distortion... in Van Halen's most popular days his tone was (and still is) widely searched for and desired.

For $700 you can look into the following amps:

Peavey Ultra combo (possibly used)
Peavey 5150 combo (EVH's ex-signature amp, although most would say you can't get close to him with one of these)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Bugera 333XL
Bugera 6262 (5150 clone with better cleans, but supposedly worse build quality)
Randall RG50TC
(if you're lucky) Used Peavey JSX combo
Mesa/Boogie F-30 combo (they're discontinued so you can only find them used)

I think that list should suffice.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
hmm thanks rai, also is the ibanez tube screamer any good, for like a light distortion
cos metallica uses em
Ibanez Tubescreamers are overdrive pedals. You won't really get as much use out of them for your Cube as you would for a tube amp (because they're made for tube amps).

Overdrive pedals work by clipping lightly - as in, they push the tubes harder, providing more 'breakup' of the signal, thus providing more gain and volume.

Solid state clipping doesn't usually sound too wonderful, so...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
a tube screamer is an overdrive pedal...you won't be getting much gain out of it
metallica uses, well at least kirk uses his modded ts9 to give him a boost for solos...

and if you do not know the difference between between and od and a distortion pedal, google
also what about the mxr evh phaser or the MXR GT-OD Pedal

mark morton from lamb of god uses them
and i like my lamb of god
looks like a klon centaur on the pedalboard but Metallica is known to use a lot of gear while recording so it's gonna be really hard for you to get a good tone for them. Also, you haven't really specified which albums tone you wanna get as their tone really differs from album to album E.g st anger vs AJFA
Don't forget wah
Rickenbacker 620
ltd mh-1000
Fender jaguar

tu-2>>FZ-2>MXR Flanger>Ph-8>Line 6 FM-4>DD-6

Engl savage Head.
black start artisan 4x12
Quote by Raijouta
EVH's sound is most famous FOR his amp distortion... in Van Halen's most popular days his tone was (and still is) widely searched for and desired.

For $700 you can look into the following amps:

Peavey Ultra combo (possibly used)
Peavey 5150 combo (EVH's ex-signature amp, although most would say you can't get close to him with one of these)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Bugera 333XL
Bugera 6262 (5150 clone with better cleans, but supposedly worse build quality)
Randall RG50TC
(if you're lucky) Used Peavey JSX combo
Mesa/Boogie F-30 combo (they're discontinued so you can only find them used)

I think that list should suffice.

Great List!!

Yeah dude...you need tubes to run a DS1 or a Tube Sreamer.
While certainly not identical, I've found that I can get a pretty listenable "enter sandman" rythm tone with my Crate V1512 and my DF7 pedal. The amp is set with the gain at somewhere around 4, which is where it just starts to get gritty with chords, but still sounds clean on individual notes. Bass and treble are dimed, mids at around 1/4 of the way up. On the DF7 I use the DOD Overdrive setting with the gain at 6 or 7. I set the pedal's level too keep the output at around unity gain (same output as with the pedal bypassed).

I think that any overdrive pedal that doesn't give a big midrange bump and a little overdrive from your preamp will get you close to Metallica's rythm sound. An overdrive with plenty of mids will get you closer to Kirk's lead. It might not cut the mustard if you're in a Metallica tribute band, but for your own enjoyment it'll get you close enough.
well metallica, everything up to black album (inc black album)
but kill em all is a lot different, lot more thrashy sound

now i just gotta find a valve amp at around 700 australia
i find some american ones for like 700$ then its like 1000 here in aus