Is there any specific way to name a chord that uses the intervals; 1-b3-(5)-b6 ? I looked around and couldn't find anything...
Quote by Dr.Cheese
Is there any specific way to name a chord that uses the intervals; 1-b3-(5)-b6 ? I looked around and couldn't find anything...

Minor add b13
Minor + (if the (5) doesn't have to be included)
Not great with these symbols lol..are you sayin the fifth is missed out? Or is there a fifth? If the fifth is missed and it was 1, b3, b6 then it would just be an inversion of a major triad. ie 1, b3, b6 starting on A would be A C F, which is just the 2nd inversion of an F major triad which is F A C. However if ive got the symbol ie th brackets around the 5 all wrong then Im pretty sure it would be a minor add b13 chord
Andy

EDIT ; I see someone already got the minor add 13 solution lol
Last edited by Andy_Mclaughlan at Sep 17, 2008,
Quote by Andy_Mclaughlan
1, b3, b6 starting on A would be A C F, which is just the 2nd inversion of an A major triad which is F A C.

An A major triad has a C# and a E.
Your second inversion would be 5 R 3 = E A C#.

Nice specs UG newbie.
Last edited by mdc at Sep 17, 2008,
Alright, thanks guys. So I guess this would be Am add b13;

e |-1-|
B |-1-|
G |-2-|
D |-2-|
A |-0-|
E |---|

I'm not quite sure what circumstances b6 or b13 should be used. If I play it like below, is the F still a b13th?

e |-0-|
B |-1-|
G |-2-|
D |-3-|
A |-0-|
E |---|
Quote by mdc
An A major triad has a C# and a E.
Your second inversion would be 5 R 3 = E A C#.

Nice specs UG newbie.

I dont think it takes a mastermind to decipher that I meant to write F major triad. Why would I write that ther 2nd inversion of an A major triad starts on an A.
Andy
Quote by Dr.Cheese
Alright, thanks guys. So I guess this would be Am add b13;

e |-1-|
B |-1-|
G |-2-|
D |-2-|
A |-0-|
E |---|

I'm not quite sure what circumstances b6 or b13 should be used. If I play it like below, is the F still a b13th?

e |-0-|
B |-1-|
G |-2-|
D |-3-|
A |-0-|
E |---|

I would say they were both Am add 13. I dont recall coming across many mb6 chords. But in essence they are the same thing I suppose. The thing is with upper extensions. Just because its a 13th or whatever above the root, it doesnt mean it has to be the highest note played in the chord. Much in the same way with chord inversions. Ie the 3rd inversion of say a G maj triad is D, G , B, The G is still the root even though it is going to be the 2nd highest note played on the guitar. Hope this makes sense to you. You should go into the contributions section. I have two articles on chord construction in there with the third part almost ready. This talks about extensions for a bit aswell as enharmonic spelling which deals with 2 notes having the same name, Which in your case would be the b6 and the b13.
Cheers
Andy
Quote by Andy_Mclaughlan
I dont think it takes a mastermind to decipher that I meant to write F major triad. Why would I write that ther 2nd inversion of an A major triad starts on an A.
Andy

That's all good, I see you've edited post #8 to save confusion. I genuinely thought you missed of a # there.
Last edited by mdc at Sep 17, 2008,
Quote by mdc
That's all good, I see you've edited post #8 to save confusion. I genuinely thought you missed of a # there.

Hey no probs dude. Sorry for sounding a bit aggressive in my reply...not had much sleep lol
Andy