I know Les Pauls go alright with the fat punchy sound, but how does a SG go? One of my guitarists is looking at investing in one?

We play drop C/D tuning stuff (full step down), covers from Atreyu, Escape the fate, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, and originals that are thrashy and heavy. So if anyone has had experience playing this kind of music in a band, do you suggest a Gibson SG model or is it a no go zone

Bands current Rig

Lead Guitar:
VOX tube amp, not sure of the model, but it's nice
Gibson Les Paul studio

Rhythm Guitar:
Line 6 Spider 3 (not sure how big, but it's loud enough, sometimes hooked into a cabnet/PA)
LTD AX-400 (this is the guy who's buy the gibo)

Bass Guitar:
350w Peavy Bass AMP
ESP Tom Araya

Thanks kids
Well...I use a Gibson SG for anything from Blues to stuff like Atreyu, Lamb of God, Metallica, SlipKnoT and I've known people to use them for stuff like Pantera, As I Lay Dying, Dimmu Borgir...IMO, the SG is a great guitar and I would recommend it to anyone.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
I'd say go for it - I've used my SG for metal before and it works well - the only thing letting it down is the alnico II magnets are designed to be not that brutal, but with a good amp (or a spider... Well, prepare for a flame mob ) - TBH, the LTD will most likely do a better job, with the EMG's built into it, but I'd say go for it, sir.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
c: I like where this is going, hopefully my bassist will be getting his hands on a Nikki Six Firebird, so we'll look awesome all playing gibsons.
I was going to say what Nido said... it worked for Tony Iommi, so it's obviously capable.

Your only problem is gonna be when everyone notices your rhythm guitarist's Line 6 Spider 3 and starts flaming.
Guitar doesnt matter that much to be honest, as long as it has humbucker sized slots, slip in some emgs or bkps and its brootal,

the amp is what makes the tone, and to be honest, the line 6 isint going to do any justice.
I've heard metal played on a hurdygurdy (spelling?) which was something like a violin with a hand crank, slide whistles, flutes, bagpipes, and surprisingly enough, even telecasters.

Don't let an instrument limit you. Any guitar can play pretty much anything, and yes, SGs can do metal fine. Take a look at the Epiphone Prophecy Series, or plop some high output or active pickups into any other SG that can sport humbuckers.

I mean c'mon... telecasters can.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Well I know I'll get beaten if I say HIM are metal, but the guitarist, Linde, uses a Gibson SG and he's got a really distorted, crunchy, "metal" tone.

If you just want a pretty basic, distorted metal tone, just slap some EMGs into it and it'll sound like any guitar with EMGs in it.
one of the guitarists from dark Tranquillity uses stock SG's, so yeah, it will work great for metal. The difference between the LP and the SG is that the SG will sound "thinner" and not as deep and warm as the LP. Have that in mind if you want to buy new pups.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
How bout replacing the Spider 3 instead of buying a guitar?
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Quote by Madzää

this.

if you have the money you could do both.
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
iommi ftw!!11
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
It will be fine dude. Its all in the amp.

Almost any guitar with the right pickups can do metal as good as the next.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by Madzää

This.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Madzää

+2
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I have an SG with a crappy Dimebucker and it works fine for metal...and it should sound even better when i put the Blackouts in it, but not though my Line 6 amp anyways, all that to say, it's good with stock pickups for metal, but if you put a set of high gain or active pickups in there it will be even better. The cutaways really help for shredding too!
Quote by Seth Shadows
Les paul = fail.
SG = bigger fail.

Try ibanez.

lol.
Can I get a "Ib@n3z for teh w1n!!11!!eleven!1!"

Replace that Spider 3
and try out ESP LTD Viper-400
Mine never disappoints

Well.. for metal.

Don't buy the SG Special.
It plays like absolute shit.

The SG Standard is a great guitar, and if you swap the pickups out for the hotter ones (which you don't NEED to do), it pulls of metal as well as any other guitar can.

If he's a bit short of money, I really recommend looking at the Epiphone G400. I bought one, and I loved it.
Played amazing.
Swap the pickups and tuners out, and you'd have yourself a killer axe.
Pity I sold mine before I realised how simple it was to mod a guitar

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by JaykeSucks
Don't buy the SG Special.
It plays like absolute shit.

surreeee

deffinately not the best Gibson but it plays pretty damn good to me, played exactly the same as the $2000 SG reissue i tried, but obviously didnt look as nice or sound as good lol, i hear the Faded ones are all around crap though.
Quote by taytay8b
surreeee

deffinately not the best Gibson but it plays pretty damn good to me, played exactly the same as the $2000 SG reissue i tried, but obviously didnt look as nice or sound as good lol, i hear the Faded ones are all around crap though.

I loathed the one I played.
The neck with thick and rough, the frets were uneven and sharp, it sounded like ass and it was just a general rip-off.
That being said, I may have played a dud one.
But it's that which shaped my opinion on them.

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
Tony Iommi basically created doom/stoner metal and he used an SG, but he needs a better amp.
Gear
Jackson Dinky DKMGT Transparent Black
Quote by Copilot911
Tony Iommi basically created doom/stoner metal and he used an SG, but he needs a better amp.

I don't think Tony Iommi needs a better amp
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by Seth Shadows
Les paul = fail.
SG = bigger fail.

Try ibanez.

Wow, there was so much evidence backing that up, you're clearly not a total fanboy huh?

TC, yes, an SG will work fine for metal. If you want better pickups (IE not alcino magnets) try Barenuckles (passives) or Seymore duncan Blackouts (active) or you could just go with the usual EMG's, but I the Blackouts to have a bit more tone to them and about the same high output.
Quote by bjoern_swe
I don't think Tony Iommi needs a better amp

I meant the OPs guitarist
Gear
Jackson Dinky DKMGT Transparent Black
Quote by Seth Shadows
Les paul = fail.
SG = bigger fail.

Try ibanez.

This post = biggest fail.
My epi iommi SG handles metal quite well.
Good for punk as well.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Using a 61 ressue with PAF's work fine for me, Most will

Awesome for thrash, but might let you down if your trying to sound immensly brutal.
my stock Gibson sg standard has amazing metal tone No need to change pickups or anything
Quote by Hakael
I've heard metal played on a hurdygurdy (spelling?) which was something like a violin with a hand crank, slide whistles, flutes, bagpipes, and surprisingly enough, even telecasters.

Don't let an instrument limit you. Any guitar can play pretty much anything, and yes, SGs can do metal fine. Take a look at the Epiphone Prophecy Series, or plop some high output or active pickups into any other SG that can sport humbuckers.

I mean c'mon... telecasters can.

Jimmy Page............
Quote by Copilot911

Yeah.... I'd hate to have to play through those Laney's.........

Quote by UltimateDud
I know Les Pauls go alright with the fat punchy sound, but how does a SG go? One of my guitarists is looking at investing in one?

We play drop C/D tuning stuff (full step down), covers from Atreyu, Escape the fate, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, and originals that are thrashy and heavy. So if anyone has had experience playing this kind of music in a band, do you suggest a Gibson SG model or is it a no go zone

Bands current Rig

Lead Guitar:
VOX tube amp, not sure of the model, but it's nice
Gibson Les Paul studio

Rhythm Guitar:
Line 6 Spider 3 (not sure how big, but it's loud enough, sometimes hooked into a cabnet/PA)
LTD AX-400 (this is the guy who's buy the gibo)

Bass Guitar:
350w Peavy Bass AMP
ESP Tom Araya

Thanks kids

sg is just as versatile as les paul the sg is just easir to play and set up imo i prefer the sg over the les paul any day personally it think the les paul is kinda ugly/retarded [ no offence to any les paul users ]
My Gear

Guitars: Jackson DK2t ,
Amp: peavey valvking royal 8 - 5 watt combo
Effects: Zoom g2.1u , Line 6 pod xt
Quote by Seth Shadows
Les paul = fail.
SG = bigger fail.

Try ibanez.

Failtard.

Yes, an SG will work great for metal.

Also, if the Spider has an effects loop, try running a BBE Sonic Stomp in it, I run one after my POD and it makes everything sound clearer and more defined... actually, any setup I've run it in, it makes sound clearer and more defined.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Jan 23, 2009,