Hi there,

My JCM 900 is a reissue with 5881 tubes, now not that I don't like the amp, but compare it to an original EL34 tubed JCM 900 it's not as good. To my ears EL 34's sound a bit brighter, and sound a bit more punchy and sounds like there's a touch more gain. Does anyone have any experience of retubing to EL34's, like how much it is likely to cost? Would it make much of a difference to my 4100 hi gain model? I'm looking for a Steve Jones type of tone, punky sort of sound and I just feel at the moment my JCM 900 can't do those sort of tones. When I go to drop tunings, that's when the 900 seems to sound a bit better.

Any thoughts or advice welcome.

Steve
i have a jcm900 and use 6l6gc's (5881's) tungstols with jj preamp tubes and it rocks like no other. if el34 are brighter theres no way id use them my jcm 900 4100 is already so treble heavy any more i'd have no ears.
Yeah but what sort of sound do you get? Crunchy sort of sound?

I just feel longer down the road I've gone with this amp, it's not sounded as good as when I tried it out in the shop, it doesn't do that marshall crunch as well as I thought it would, it just seems to miss something that an old 70's plexi sounds like.

I do have to be honest though, I played a gig recently and I had the master on 6 and I was very impressed and it was giving me a sound closer to what I am after, that's the furthest I've had it and it actually began to sound better, like a tube amp should, so maybe I need to be less irrational. I'm toying with the idea of either a TS 808/9 or putting a THD hot plate to get some better sounds from it, but I'm a little short on advice.

Thanks for your reply,

Steve
attenuator=problem solved.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Well, I'm probably gonna go for the THD hotplate 16 ohms, as that looks to be the best one out there, unless someone knows of one that's better?

Thanks, think my mind is made up!

Steve
well the THD hot plate sounds like a good Idea, the more tube saturation you get the better it will sound no matter what kind of tubes your using.

If you think it doesn't sound as good as when you bought it, but you liked it when you bought it then maybe you just need to replace your tubes as they may be worn out depending on how much play time you have put through the amp
Quote by el-ECTRO
you again

damn i could've done a much better response for ntchode 'Owner of UGs hugest penis'
Quote by ntchode
well the THD hot plate sounds like a good Idea, the more tube saturation you get the better it will sound no matter what kind of tubes your using.

If you think it doesn't sound as good as when you bought it, but you liked it when you bought it then maybe you just need to replace your tubes as they may be worn out depending on how much play time you have put through the amp

Quite possibly - not that I'm a newbie to amp sound or anything, but the technics behind it I am only recently grasping.

I bought this amp September last year - was well chuffed with it - maybe it's because I've heard/played different stuff since that I devalue the 900 a little bit. When we rehearse I usually have the gain almost maxed out, so you may be right, the preamp valves might be going. When I gig with it, the gain is probably only about two thirds up as I am able to bring the master up a bit more. I can only go on recommendations on replacing tubes, I've had all sorts recommended to me, but I couldn't be sure what ones to get. I mean, will changes power amp or preamp valves make a noticeable difference in contrast to sticking with the ECC83 preamp valves and the 5881 power amp valves? Like I said, I'm after a Steve Jones / Slash, crunchy lead type sound.

Thanks for the help,

Steve
Quote by StevieBaby1981
Well, I'm probably gonna go for the THD hotplate 16 ohms, as that looks to be the best one out there, unless someone knows of one that's better?

Thanks, think my mind is made up!

Steve

Almost everyone who has owned a hotplate and a weber attenuator says that the weber is better, and it is also cheaper. Remember to only buy the 16 ohms if your speaker is 16 ohms (no brainer, but you never know)
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
get jj el-34Ls...AND preamp tubes...get those jjs

i swear like it gives the amp SO many mids and it NEEDS THEM