It all depends on how long you're playing it for, at what volume and how many effect pedals etc. your using. You could quite possibly rack up that amount extra if you're spending several hours a day at full volume.

but I'm talking serious amounts of time and serious amounts of effects

I'd personally go with the guy saying its your air conditioning.

I feel sorry for the pub that used to let my band practice there for free .
Quote by rizo299
It all depends on how long you're playing it for, at what volume and how many effect pedals etc. your using. You could quite possibly rack up that amount extra if you're spending several hours a day at full volume.

but I'm talking serious amounts of time and serious amounts of effects

I'd personally go with the guy saying its your air conditioning.

I feel sorry for the pub that used to let my band practice there for free .

Naw, I respect my parents, they got my amp for me, so that's the least I can do is try not to piss 'em off...that much + my older brother will kick my ass if it's too loud :P

I play it at like 1/4 volume max, probably about an 1 hour - 1 1/2 hour. 2 hours MAX, I usually play my guitar when I'm on the comp learning new songs and such, and writing new material (no amp)

I only use 1 pedal often (but it runs on a battery :/?) sometimes I use my double muff, and rarely i use my crappy flanger
Quote by scott58

I don't see how that's useful. At least around here electricity is measured in kWh (that's kilo-watt-hours). You can check how much power your amp drains (that's max power tho, I think) from the back of your amp - it's a lot more than your output power tho. Then just multiply that with the amount of hours you use the amp and you get the amount of kWh you've used (you can probably check the price from the bill). Of course, since the amp isn't running full on, you won't use quite that much, but it's an estimate of sorts.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
I don't see how that's useful. At least around here electricity is measured in kWh (that's kilo-watt-hours). You can check how much power your amp drains (that's max power tho, I think) from the back of your amp - it's a lot more than your output power tho. Then just multiply that with the amount of hours you use the amp and you get the amount of kWh you've used (you can probably check the price from the bill). Of course, since the amp isn't running full on, you won't use quite that much, but it's an estimate of sorts.

That's my point just calculate the Kwh. it's not rocket science.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Swap-Meet
it says 120 V ~ 60 HZ

That's not it, there should be a wattage rating somewhere there (the input power).
Quote by Lunchbox362
P = VI

power = voltage x current = .5 amps x 250 volts = 125 watts peak power consumption.

You're never running at peak power, so as a generous estimate let's assume 60 watts RMS consumpton, if you play continously for 4 hours a day that's 16.666 rec kwh per day....over 2 months that's about 1000 kwh. I think electricity is about 10 cents/kwh in the US so by that reckoning you would have used $100 of electicity if you played continuously for 4 hours a day, every day.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 17, 2008,
I'd just use the 15 watts it's rated at for ballpark may be double that in actual consumption.but seriously your barking up the wrong tree. You say it was humid in that month, what does that mean to your house? Is your a/c running to deal with the humidity? My 80 watt PA , 5 watt Vj and what ever power my variax requires is on for about 3 hours a day and i don't think my electric went up $15.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
A 15 watt amp is going to use less electric than a tv Im gonna imagine the tv is on alot more during the day than your amp. Its just coincidence the electric bill went up. Mine goes up in summer and back down in winter the amp seems to make little difference in the cost. When Im playing many times Im running 2 amps (30 watts the other is 50) and my pedals all run off wall power for 3 or 4 hours. Highest bill I ever had was 150 so your amp for 2 hours is not going to cost 170 alone.
Unplug your cellphone charger when you're not using it, that should offset any increase in energy usage from playing your amp
I used to live with 4 girls when I was at uni and they were convinced my amp was the cause of the high electricity bills rather than their 1.5kw hairdryers, constantly running the heating at full blast and forever using the immersion heater for baths...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

are you sure that wasn't a sitcom?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Swap-Meet

pwr. 30va

That's the input power. 30VA means 30 watts (volts * amps). So if you turn all the knobs all the way up and play it for an hour you've used 30 watt-hours, which is 3% of a kWH. I pay 16 cents per kWH, so it costs roughly one cent to play your amp for two hours.
Think of it this way: light bulbs are measured in watts. You have a ton of 60 to 100 watt light bulbs on all the time.
Quote by Swap-Meet
umm....it was pretty hot in August (humid)

That probably had something to do with it... we have Window ACs (Dinosaurs) and the bill has been around $180 since summer started.
Quote by Swap-Meet
our bill went UP by 170$

That could still be attributed to AC units. AC units use a massive amount of amps, particularly older window units. You could own a 1,000 watt amp and it would likely not impact your bill by that much.
Quote by AdamDK

well either that or best university house ever. o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
are you sure that wasn't a sitcom?

not far off, funniest thing was the ongoing war over the heating, I lived with 4 girls and a lad called Steve(we bought Ibanezes at the same time, I got my RG, he got a Saber) We always turned the heating off...the girls kept turing it on because they were "cold". Our argument was that they would be cold if they insisted on wandering round in their knickers and that they should wear more clothes rather than waste our money.

They also failed to understand the concept of a new-fangled invention we had in the house called a "thermostat", which is designed to maintain an even temperature throughout a property. But no, that wasn't good enough for them...we'd come home and they'd turn the heating on and whack the thermostat up full like it would magically make it warm up faster. My housemate Steve was doing a physics degree so he was more than qualified to explain the futility, not to mention poor economics, of their actions -however they remained steadfast.

So when they weren't looking I'd turn the thermostat down, not off I hasten to add. I'd just turn it down to a sensible 20-ish degrees from what I can only assume was about 38 degrees as there were no more numbers as surely no-one would be daft enough to turn it up that high(the thermostat manufacturers evidently hadn't accounted for the stupidity of the girls I was living with). This caused many rows until one day I came home to find the thermostat cocconed in sellotape with the message "Mark!!! DO NOT TOUCH!!!" scrawled on a bit of paper attached to it.

So I carefully peeled back the tape, turned the thermostat down and then just as carefully put the tape back

come to think of it my entire university life was one big sitcom...fond memories of jumping up and down on beds playing frisbee whilst listening to Otis Redding
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull

not far off, funniest thing was the ongoing war over the heating, I lived with 4 girls and a lad called Steve(we bought Ibanezes at the same time, I got my RG, he got a Saber) We always turned the heating off...the girls kept turing it on because they were "cold". Our argument was that they would be cold if they insisted on wandering round in their knickers and that they should wear more clothes rather than waste our money.

They also failed to understand the concept of a new-fangled invention we had in the house called a "thermostat", which is designed to maintain an even temperature throughout a property. But no, that wasn't good enough for them...we'd come home and they'd turn the heating on and whack the thermostat up full like it would magically make it warm up faster. My housemate Steve was doing a physics degree so he was more than qualified to explain the futility, not to mention poor economics, of their actions -however they remained steadfast.

So when they weren't looking I'd turn the thermostat down, not off I hasten to add. I'd just turn it down to a sensible 20-ish degrees from what I can only assume was about 38 degrees as there were no more numbers as surely no-one would be daft enough to turn it up that high(the thermostat manufacturers evidently hadn't accounted for the stupidity of the girls I was living with). This caused many rows until one day I came home to find the thermostat cocconed in sellotape with the message "Mark!!! DO NOT TOUCH!!!" scrawled on a bit of paper attached to it.

So I carefully peeled back the tape, turned the thermostat down and then just as carefully put the tape back

come to think of it my entire university life was one big sitcom...fond memories of jumping up and down on beds playing frisbee whilst listening to Otis Redding

Education's a wonderful thing...
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
hahaha, excellent, mark . though i'm not sure you quite grasped the fact that by turning the heat down you were forcing them to wear more clothes...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
hahaha, excellent, mark . though i'm not sure you quite grasped the fact that by turning the heat down you were forcing them to wear more clothes...

I know, but remember, I was a student and I was poor...I'd just blown £600 on a guitar!

Besides, there were plenty of girls on campus who could be persuaded to undress, and I wasn't paying their heating bills...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Lunchbox362
Quote by Swap-Meet
Alright, so in July & August I started to play my amp alot, but apparently my electricity (august) billl went up by 170$...Can a 15 watt amp really take that much power?

your amp is not going to make that huge of a change...

Sounds like your AC went on more than normal...I know ours did...............until it broke down the week where it was getting in the 90s (F)...

Source:
I used to do electrical work for a bunch for companies and went though classes.