I recently bought a 1990 yamaha pacifica and I was re-strnging it last night and when I took the old strings off my nut fell off. What would be the best way of putting it back on? Also I'm probably going to need a new bridge as well when I got it, it wasnt in the best of shape. What would be a good fairly cheap bridge to put on?
what kind of bridge?

and I'd say, if you're buying a new bridge anyway, and the nut that fell off is plastic (i dunno the quality of 90's pacificas..), I'd say just get a new nut as well.

It's pretty much just a matter of gluing and clamping the new nut in the proper place.
Get some glue and stick it back on, but be very careful to make sure it sets in the correct position.
is the guitar even worth keeping, tonally speaking?
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
Quote by thepagesaretorn
is the guitar even worth keeping, tonally speaking?

I'm a bassist so i just got it to mess around. It only cost me $80.
if it fell off when you were stringing it, you were stringing it wrong. when you change the strings you should always do it one at a time, not take them all off and then put the new ones on.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
You dont need any fancy glue to hold a nut on. Dont need epoxy or JB weld. And changing all the strings at once wont make em fall off.
Haha, imagine someone JB welding a nut back on. They would never be able to change it without screwing their headstock all up.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
my god people... all you need is a dab of krazy glue or a little titebond... who the hell epoxies a nut in place? it's a perishable item and you'd have to be he-man to get it off (if any of you even know who the hell he-man is).
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
my god people... all you need is a dab of krazy glue or a little titebond... who the hell epoxies a nut in place? it's a perishable item and you'd have to be he-man to get it off (if any of you even know who the hell he-man is).

This guy does.

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
best thread name ever!
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Yep, just use a bit of PVA.

As long as you string it while the nut is still wet, the tension will glue it down nice and hard.

As for changing the bridge, that could be problematic, as pacificas seem to have narrower string spacing than fender and replacement fender-style parts. Best bet though is to check out wilkinson, because they could be compatible.
If the nut fell off you might as well replace it with a graphit/tusq one, and yeah as said a dab of white glue and string to pitch to clamp it into place.

As for replacing the bridge, the trem is probably custom made by yamaha and may not be compatible with other bridges, but check all the post spacings and string spacings and you might be alright.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
titebond is a luthiers best friend. no epoxy, no super glue, just good ol wood glue.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by nebiru
This guy does.

where did Skeletor come from?
Yeah, and just use some titebond.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I almost had water come out my nose at the thread title, and again at the picture of Skeletor.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
haha its all a crazy... the nut is a simple matter of putting it back on... the bridge on the other hand is not so much... if there is space you could try a simple TOM with though body stop.. adds a bit of sustain but make sure you get the intonation the same ie the same distance from nut to bridge
I Shit You Not
Yeah he has a strat copy. A TOM (ninja edit) won't work too well there. There's a decent trem on Guitarfetish... the MIM upgrade trem I think. It's got the same spacing.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Sep 18, 2008,
brass monkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by Ryker24
my nut fell off

Did you get it sewed on or did they do some special surgeon thing or do you only have 1 nut now...
i wonder whats its like to only have one nut