I have a fender stratocaster which comes with a 5 way pickup selector. the thing is, i dont use my middle pickup. i play lots of deep purple so i dont see the need for the middle pickup. also its troublesome to switch to the middle position while playing cos u cant just whack it up or whack it down.

i've nvr modded a guitar by myself before, so i'm a newbie at this. neither have i even tried installing pickups before.

is it possible if someone could explain how i could change my 5 way switch to 3 way? or even 2 way if that is possible?

thanks in advance..
yeah buy a three way switch XD

then re wire it

that would be best

or you could just cut the wires from the pickup so the middle posistion is a kill
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
If you're unsure, take it to a professional. Even if you just want to ask advice, take it to a professional.

Anyway, for a 3-single, 1 Volume, 1 Tone strat, here's what you should have:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=3s_1v_1t_5w

You'll want to take out the middle pickup and remove the wiring from it, replacing the 5-way switch with a 3-way like this:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2singlecoils1vol1tone1switc
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Quote by jaffawoman
If you're unsure, take it to a professional. Even if you just want to ask advice, take it to a professional.

Anyway, for a 3-single, 1 Volume, 1 Tone strat, here's what you should have:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=3s_1v_1t_5w

You'll want to take out the middle pickup and remove the wiring from it, replacing the 5-way switch with a 3-way like this:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2singlecoils1vol1tone1switc

u mentioned 1 volume, 1 tone.

then what will happen to the other tone knob? will it be completely obsolete?
Quote by DudeLove
u mentioned 1 volume, 1 tone.

then what will happen to the other tone knob? will it be completely obsolete?

No, I could only find a diagram for 2 singles with 1 vol, 1 tone.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=3s_1v_2t_5w
There's what you have, you want to wire the bridge to one tone control and the neck to the other, rather than combining the bridge and the middle (I think) that you're doing now.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Remember to do as Blackmore does, and screw the middle pickup right down into the pickguard, so as not to hit it whilst soloing. Judging by concert footage, Michael Karoli of can also did this trick, and I find it helps (I don't use the middle pickup mich myself).
Quote by Meddled
Remember to do as Blackmore does, and screw the middle pickup right down into the pickguard, so as not to hit it whilst soloing. Judging by concert footage, Michael Karoli of can also did this trick, and I find it helps (I don't use the middle pickup mich myself).

yeah mines screwed all the way down. i've been dying for blackmores tone.
hahah change of topic a while.. anyone has tips for blackmores tone?
Quote by DudeLove
yeah mines screwed all the way down. i've been dying for blackmores tone.
hahah change of topic a while.. anyone has tips for blackmores tone?

Blackmore's tone is pretty much a Strat straight into a Marshall amp, up a good distance. By getting the speakers to compress he got a lot of tone that way, his amps were modded to go to 200watts.

Also he sometimes had a revox tape recorder set up on stage, with the preamp handling the guitar signal before it hit the amps.

On the right hand side, about half way down sitting on a little flight case.
yea, you actually dont have to change the wiring at all, just take your pickguard off, write down where each ground and hot wire is for the pickups on the 5-way, then resolder them in the exact same position on the 3-way. The thing that differs in the 3-way is the size of the contact on the switch
it shouldnt be too hard, you would probarbly be able to follow a telecaster or les paul wiring diagram, those have 2 pickups and a 3 way switch. a 2 way switch will generaly be wired in a similar way.

Im assuming that you dont want the middle pickup, by the way, if you do, the original strats used 3 position switches
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158
Quote by nickbob00
it shouldnt be too hard, you would probarbly be able to follow a telecaster or les paul wiring diagram, those have 2 pickups and a 3 way switch. a 2 way switch will generaly be wired in a similar way.

Im assuming that you dont want the middle pickup, by the way, if you do, the original strats used 3 position switches

hey are there any diagrams i can refer to?