4 7%
English
25 42%
History
4 7%
Resistant Materials
0 0%
Voters: 60.
Guys, i currently take Maths, PE, Computing and Psychology, and i got a B, A and B respectively at GCSE (didnt do psychology at GCSE). However i had a skills test today in maths which was basically skills that the course is based on that you need to know, 80% and above was expected, i got every question wrong

I dont exactly enjoy maths, and my only mate in my group is moving to Canada in a few months. I am planning on changing to something else. Here are my options

Art (didnt do at GCSE)
Economics (didnt do at GCSE)
Resistant Materials (did graphics at GCSE, scraped a C)
English (two B's at GCSE for literature and language)
Biology (a C for science overall, biology being probably my best science
History(a D in GCSE)

What do you guys advise? Take a different subject or stay with maths?
If you're set on changing from Maths, I'd go for English. If you weren't dropping Maths, I'd advise you to take Economics to do alongside it.
I'm doing English, it's ace!
Go for it.

Clearly you're not very good at maths, so go with what you're good at.
Along with that, it's an amazing course, and is a credible qualification of you get an A Level in it.
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Change for English, it's your best grade and it's a pretty solid course.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Random3
yes

americans call it math
english call it maths

Bet he didn't see that coming.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I'd go for English, it's amazing (Lit FTW). Maths gets so hard at AS/A2 unless you're REALLY naturally good at it.

yes
americans call it math
the rest of the world call it maths

I don't get why it's "Math" in America. It' an abbreviation of Mathematics.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Last edited by Cal UK at Sep 17, 2008,
Geography, it's excellent

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Is the english course literature or language? I've just started both, Lit's quite good but language bores the hell out of me already. Be careful before you switch...
Quote by break-me-in
Change for English, it's your best grade and it's a pretty solid course.

+ 1 i'm doing English this year and it's very good, I don't really like one of my teacher but it's still good.
Quote by Cal UK
I'd go for English, it's amazing (Lit FTW)

I love you

Quote by KISS-the-sky
Is the english course literature or language? I've just started both, Lit's quite good but language bores the hell out of me already. Be careful before you switch...

And you

I'm surprised at the Lit Lovin on here, everyone at college hates me for choosing Lit over Lang, and they all act superior because they do Lang, bastards.

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by BlackLuster
I love you

F1 and intellectual stimulation? If only you had a vagina...
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Cal UK
I'd go for English, it's amazing (Lit FTW). Maths gets so hard at AS/A2 unless you're REALLY naturally good at it.

Not really. Hard work gets you a long way.

Do English. Why pick History at A Level if you got a D at GCSE? It's bloody easy at GCSE, and if you do not have the skills to get B in GCSE, you should do it for A Level.

Go for English. Work hard enough, a B can be in grasp
Quote by BlackLuster
I'm surprised at the Lit Lovin on here, everyone at college hates me for choosing Lit over Lang, and they all act superior because they do Lang, bastards.

For a good reason
Quote by Cal UK
F1 and intellectual stimulation? If only you had a vagina...

A James May lover?
If only I did

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Art would be very difficult to take up without having the GCSE experience. A guy started the same AS art course as me last year and dropped out within a week because he couldn't handle the style of work or the workload.

I'd suggest English. When I started AS, I was suddenly informed that I wouldn't be able to do geography because it didn't fit my option block, so I changed to English. One of the best decision I've ever made. I really enjoyed the course and found that, even though I wasn't expecting to do it for A-level, I found it relatively manageable and got an A at AS .

EDIT: Choose English only if it's English Literature. English Language is incredibly boring, whereas Literature is incredibly interesting and engaging. It also gets even better in the second year, when you get to choose which books you study for coursework etc. I'm doing Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Last edited by -February-Star- at Sep 17, 2008,
i'd go for english personally, but if you only got two B's at GCSE i wouldn't expect to do very well. i think economics would suit you pretty well. it's a fairly traditional subject and isn't overly difficult.

whatever you do, don't stick with maths. bad, bad choice.
Quote by Craigo
For a good reason

Not really, lang sounds boring as fuck.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Go for Economics or English. English as a subject is, in my knowledge, 100% twatty, but it's good to know the twankers.

Economics, according to mates taking it this year, is just plain awesome.

EDIT: TAKE HISTORY!!!
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by Random3
Guys, i currently take Maths, PE, Computing and Psychology, and i got a B, A and B respectively at GCSE (didnt do psychology at GCSE). However i had a skills test today in maths which was basically skills that the course is based on that you need to know, 80% and above was expected, i got every question wrong

I dont exactly enjoy maths, and my only mate in my group is moving to Canada in a few months. I am planning on changing to something else. Here are my options

Art (didnt do at GCSE)
History(a D in GCSE)

Just move to Canada with your buddy. we rock
Quote by skagitup
i'd go for english personally, but if you only got two B's at GCSE i wouldn't expect to do very well. i think economics would suit you pretty well. it's a fairly traditional subject and isn't overly difficult.

whatever you do, don't stick with maths. bad, bad choice.

I got 2 B's at GCSE and I got a solid B for AS.

Do it, its pretty easy when you put your mind to it.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Ziggums
A level Biology is pretty good..

No it isn't. It's easy, but unforgivingly boring.
But anyway, maths is a pretty easy A at AS, then you can drop it if you're scared of A2 maths.
Quote by Craigo
You're boring as fuck.

I have an army of talking squirrels that would drunkenly testify otherwise. What does English Language A-Level have? Commas.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
I have an army of talking squirrels that would drunkenly testify otherwise. What does English Language A-Level have? Commas.

Damn straight

I really wish I did language. I did language and literature, and dropped it because of the literature in the end...
Stay with maths, it's a much more versatile than any other subject you could take (english is the only one that comes close, and that lags behind a little in my opinion).

If you do pick english, go for literature as opposed to language. Literature is a bit more respected by admissions tutors if you wish to go to uni.
Oh George... Oh George.

That Texas education must've fucked you up when you very small.

Too true, Roger. Too True.
Economics definitely. Simple stuff if you work hard, kind of interesting (not too much maths involved) and small workload. Great A Level subject.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
Quote by Random3

Art (didnt do at GCSE)
History(a D in GCSE)

it depends on what you want to study at university. if you think you might need some maths for your degree, take maths.

i just finished my A-levels, i did econ, maths and german, and the econ papers can be tough although you dont need A-levels maths for A-level econ.

i would stick with maths, because it really isnt that hard, you just need to keep up with the material and practise the problems and do past papers. and here's a hint: the first module of Statistics is piss easy. if you want any more advice on maths or econ at A-level, i'll be happy to help you.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
1. It depends what you want to do with your life.

2. What modules are you doing in your maths course? If you only go up to P1 for the pure then I'd advise sticking with maths, stats and mechanics are easy. If you struggle during the first year you can always just continue the other on to A2 level.

3. Don't be intimidated by some little entry test, some people will retain more knowledge than others over the holidays.

4. Maths isn't what you should do if you are after a cushy couple of years, it's what you do if you want a high paid career or if you want to get into university studying physics, maths, chemistry, engineering, economics, finance, investment, medicine, biological sciences & psychology (to some extent)... etc. I have friends in a lot of those areas and not one of them took history or english a-level.

There are some decent careers out there for people with little maths experience like law or errr.... ok I'm out of ideas.

Maths is interesting you've just got to push past the stigma that comes with it from other people who don't study it.

Edit 1: tidying up text.
Edit 2: Also, don't compare maths to; for example PE. PE will involve a lot less work, it's easier for a reason, no-one's gunna care that you've done it unless you're going into sports in some way after school.
Quote by evilnatasking
I can play drums but I have no experience or own any drums.
Last edited by In The Zone at Sep 17, 2008,
What are your other subjects?
TO = used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from

TWO = the number 2

TOO = in addition; also; furthermore; to an excessive extent or degree
Quote by In The Zone

4. Maths isn't what you should do if you are after a cushy couple of years, it's what you do if you want a high paid career or if you want to get into university studying physics, maths, chemistry, engineering, economics, finance, investment, medicine, biological sciences & psychology (to some extent)... etc. I have friends in a lot of those areas and not one of them took history or english a-level.

There are some decent careers out there for people with little maths experience like law or errr.... ok I'm out of ideas.

So you need Maths to study Psychology?
Quote by -February-Star-

EDIT: Choose English only if it's English Literature. English Language is incredibly boring, whereas Literature is incredibly interesting and engaging. It also gets even better in the second year, when you get to choose which books you study for coursework etc. I'm doing Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas.

You got to choose yours!?

We got ours chosen for us, Bloody tess of The d'Urbervilles.
Quote by aaciseric
So you need Maths to study Psychology?

Sort of, there's a lot of statistical analysis of data, A-level stats modules are a bonus at most universities and crucial at the best ones.

Edit: should make that clearer, psychology is a science, you NEED empirical evidence to prove a hypothesis, and so you need analytical maths. What you wouldn't need so much is the pure side of A-level maths, which is used mostly for mathematical proof and derivation. Saying that, you MAY need it later on if you have any interest in developing mathematical models of what you're studying.
Quote by evilnatasking
I can play drums but I have no experience or own any drums.
Last edited by In The Zone at Sep 17, 2008,
Math is pretty easy as long as you want to learn it, just get a tutor.
If you don't like math however I'd go for English because it's awesome.
Mathematics refers to multiple disciplines of the overall subject, whereas if you were taking a class, you would ideally be studying one discipline. Making maths more appropriate for general subject, but math more appropriate for a specific class.