can you guys give me any tips on writing thrash metal?
not like trivium and crap like that, i mean the good stuff

how to write/make riffs similar to sepultura

thanks
Last edited by 2mins2midnite at Sep 17, 2008,
Listen to thrash bands and listen to what thrash bands sound like outside of thrash, but be careful not to copy their style. Carbon copies of bands get old real fast.
Pedal on the open E string and come up with something to do in between. That's a thrash riff. Take Holy Wars.

A - 5 7 - - - - - 10 7 - - - - - - - - -5 7 - - - - - 5 7
E - - - 0 0 0 0 - - - 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 - - 0 0 0 0 - - - 0 0 0 0 0 0
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by nitrobrother
Listen to thrash bands and listen to what thrash bands sound like outside of thrash, but be careful not to copy their style. Carbon copies of bands get old real fast.

thanks

carbon copies = evile
copied slayer

they got old really fast
you don't even have to play "fast" just keep moving. also study some thrash that you like and take bits and pieces from it and see what makes it tick.
Instead of having the drummer play "one and TWO and three and FOUR and," have him play "one AND two AND three AND four AND." This is called a doubletime feel; the snare is hit on the offbeat. Listen to Metallica's "The Four Horsemen" for an example of the former and "Whiplash" for an example of the latter. "Whiplash" sounds faster due to the doubletime feel on the drums, despite being about 45 bpm slower.
Get your downpicking up to speed. If you can down pick faster than hell, then just about anything you hit in between sounds good. You could also try recording yourself playing and improvisiong over a backing drum track for 20 mins, and play it back. By the end of it there's bound to be a few good riffs in there somewhere.
Oh yeah, and thrash the f*#k out of the E string.
Last edited by Street musician at Sep 17, 2008,
Quote by 2mins2midnite

carbon copies = evile
copied slayer

they got old really fast

Evile aren't carbon copies of Slayer. Sure, the singer sounds like a young Araya and the style may be similar, but they're not a second Slayer. Their solos are definitely better though, not whammy wank like Raining Blood.

Don't get me wrong, I like em both, maybe Slayer a bit more. But Evile is definitely not a Slayer ripoff.
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>