is it possible to tune a electric guitar to sound like a bass?

because one of my band members wants to play bass but doesn't have one yet so could he tune his guitar to sound like a bass? (doesn't have to be perfect)
Why doesn't he just get a cheap bass? Or an octave pedal? You can't get a bass sound with a guitar, and trust me, I've tried. Many a time. With different guitars and amps.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
an electric guitar is tuned like a bass guitar, just a full octave lower. so basically unless you have a huge scale lenghth and really really heavy gauge strings its still going to be all loose and mudflappy.

or get a good octave pedal, like the POG
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
+1 to an octave pedal.

a guitar tuned down an octave will have super loose strings and sound worse than even just a cheap bass.

So +1 to a cheap bass, too. That's a much better long-term option.
Then eventually save up for a better one
Just buy a cheap bass. it's not worth the trouble to tune and setup a guitar for E an octave down.

hmm, this reminds me of the Fender Bass VI and the Schecter Hellcat VI. I would like to try one of those some time...
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
by a cheap bass or buy bass strings for the guitar but they will still be very loose when you tune down an octave just fork out 150 for a cheap bass