I'm looking for a new bass amp coz my behringer ultrabass bx300 is quite frankly crap. My band are starting to get alright so I'm looking to get a really good amp. I picked 5 bands that I liked the bass in and they all play ampeg, what kind i'm not sure.
My band's called Swimwear Juniors and were on myspace so if that helps in anyway check it out.
Just like to hear what people think of the amp and would it suit? I will test one first tho so it wont be a blind buy and what type of ampeg amp should i try?
Dec
price range?

x

EDIT: your bass is too quiet in the mix in your songs on your myspace, there is no punch to them. who recorded/mixed them?
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Last edited by shinhoman at Sep 17, 2008,
Well at the moment i've £500 in my bank but i get paid just under £200 a month so i don't mind saving. (sorry for the americans don't know what that is equivalent to
Oh that was along time ago and i wasn't playing for them then, but it was some place called Cube media i think not possitive on that.
Do you reckone that an Ampeg would be the right amp for the job? I did like the Ashdown ABM EVO III but looking into the bands that use it they tend to have a really dirty distorted sound. whereas the bands using the Ampeg have quite a clean smooth bassy sound which is what i think would suit the band most.
This is all my opinion and i'd like to hear feedback from others because i've only been playing bass for 5 months and am eger to learn as much as possible.
Dec
From what I've heard, it's the opposite - Ashdown amps usually have a pretty clean tone, while Ampegs have their signature tone (not exactly overdriven, but you know what I mean). Although, Ashdowns have a lot of tonal control and versatility, so you could probably get almost any sound out of it that you wanted.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for an hour.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life.
May be It's that signiture tone I like? Does anyone have an idea what type of Ampeg that bands like Hot Hot Heat, Cajun Dance Party and Arctic Monkeys use because I can't find out what Heads they use? I'm pretty sure they use the Ampeg SVT-610 but that is a bit OTT for me so I'll see what the shop will offer me, but just don't know what head and that is the most important thing?
Dec
blink-182 uses ampegs too, but all those bands use the more expensive ampeg amps
If you go Ampeg get a used American one. That is all I'll say there.

If you live in the UK, Ashdown is a choice to look at. Do you want a transparent tone or a nice vintage warm one. If you want the former, that opens up many other companies such as Markbass.
Can you get a good punchy sound out of a Ashdown? Something good for a three piece punk band? They look nice, but I don't wanna get burned again (I own a Line 6. yuk.).
I think i'm after a warm vintage sound, but i'm no punk band and thats why i'm straying from the ashdown although i love the sound. We're a almost folk, indie, pop band, If that helps. My guitarist uses a Fender delux amp and is after a ambinent atmospheric kinda sound, while the rhythem is D.I.ing his acoustic guitar at the moment till he gets a good acoustic amp.
Hope that helps for the sound i'm after. I use a Fender Jass.
i thought punk bands use ampeg more than ashdown?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I don't know? The bands i've looked at (not punk bands) they are using Ampegs. Sounds like i should test them both out and see what i think. I'm not getting much help here.
Quote by sonsie
i thought punk bands use ampeg more than ashdown?

I heard some bad things about Ampeg cabs. I was gonna use an Ampeg amp with an Ashdown cab.

Correct me about the Ampeg thing if I'm wrong.
The best thing to do it to try out everything in your price range. You may happen to love the tone of something like a Trace Elliot, or a Genz Benz.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by kjkamo
blink-182 uses ampegs too, but all those bands use the more expensive ampeg amps

Do cheap Ampegs work well?
Quote by Windfall32
Do cheap Ampegs work well?

You can get much better for the price than a low-end ampeg. Their high-end stuff is amazing (it's all opinion, don't start), but their low end stuff isn't quite worthy of the price. I'd look into Ashdown and Gallien Krueger.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
You can get much better for the price than a low-end ampeg. Their high-end stuff is amazing (it's all opinion, don't start), but their low end stuff isn't quite worthy of the price. I'd look into Ashdown and Gallien Krueger.

Ashdown has some great deals, but I heard cheap GK heads suck. Do you have any experience with them?
Quote by Windfall32
Ashdown has some great deals, but I heard cheap GK heads suck. Do you have any experience with them?

I do, actually. I recently sold my Backline 600 to help pay for my Spector. The head was great for $300, I never had any problems with it. The overdrive was a little harsh, but it was useable. It gets two thumbs up from me and my experience with it
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
I do, actually. I recently sold my Backline 600 to help pay for my Spector. The head was great for $300, I never had any problems with it. The overdrive was a little harsh, but it was useable. It gets two thumbs up from me and my experience with it

Thaks a lot. Do you have any recordings of it lying around?
the Ashdown ABM will do just as well as the Ampeg will,
but ampeg are generally the better make,
the amps are very similar though.
ashdown's are great value for money!
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
check out a fender bassman
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Cant go wrong with an Ampeg.......
When you are in a club full of people and your Guitar player is rolling a Marshall stack while your drummer is going all Tommy Lee, You will be very happy that you saved up your pounds for that 8x10 underneath a Ampeg Head that has the torrent of melted glass spewing out the back of it ...............................................

Also,what IS the conversion rate between a US dollar and a British L or pound?
80s BC Rich Warlocks,Ironbird,Bich with EMGs
80s Squire P with Mirror Pickguard and a Kahler Tremelo!
80s Magenta(Hot Pink!) Ibanez RD707
80s Aria ZZB Zebra Explorer
80s Kramer Ferrington Acoustic
AMPEG 6pro
AMPEG 8x10,AMPEG 4x10 HLF
Quote by cheeseisclever
May be It's that signiture tone I like? Does anyone have an idea what type of Ampeg that bands like Hot Hot Heat, Cajun Dance Party and Arctic Monkeys use because I can't find out what Heads they use? I'm pretty sure they use the Ampeg SVT-610 but that is a bit OTT for me so I'll see what the shop will offer me, but just don't know what head and that is the most important thing?
Dec

I know Arctic Monkeys have Ampeg STV classics. But they're like, double your budget.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by Windfall32

I've got a Backline 200w 2x10 combo. It can get a real nice tone, but a good bit of the time it fuzzes out when i hit a note too low. So the tone is fine, it's just the speakers. Side note, it sounds awesome on guitar, especially the distortion. That shit can reach Metalcore territory.
Quote by gourd42
i was going to insult thedude97, BUT HIS AVATAR SHOWS MORDOR!
Just go for an ashdown.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by shinhoman
Just go for an ashdown.

x

The Ashdown MAG head had a lot of unfavorable reviews, I'm somewhat nervous about getting it.