i have a squire precision bass i have been working on for a while, ive added another pickup aside from the stock split coil. i was given a 3 way tone switch and i was wondering how i would hook it up, there is nothing on the switch its just bare.

any help would be great
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff
pics?

is it like.... just an on/on/on switch?
..or a 3-way like in a les paul?
..or a rotary switch or something?

I'm not really sure what you mean. Saying'tone' switch really throws me off, cause I'm thinking it's something to switch between differnent capacitors on the tone control or something, but you mentioned putting in a new pup, so is it just a selector switch?
its a 3way i belive like a les paul, its just a bare switch i was just wondering how i would go about wiring it, such as the capacitors used, it is not a selector switch i already have one wired on it, i just want to change the tone pot to a 3 way switch in the fashion of off - mid - full
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff
Last edited by zamok at Sep 17, 2008,
A LP switch is on/on/on, which means on/both/on (the middle position connects the other two). You'll need to wire high-value resistors in parallel to the caps or it'll just be a treble dump (like having the tone knob on 0). Varitones had 10M resistors. You'd prolly need something a little less.

Volume lug 3 to the middle lug of the switch
Switch lug 1 to resistor to capacitor to ground
Same as above for switch lug 3

Here's a Varitone schem.

Add a second tone control where the output jack currently is, move the output jack to the side of the bass. This way you can use the same wiring as a Fender jazz bass.