Ok so tonight I plan to start tackling learning songs by ear. The song I plan to start with is Battle of Oblivion by Celesty. I was wondering if anyone can give me any tips on how to tackle a song properly. Should I start at the begining? should i get the verse and chours rythem down first? any and all advice is apreciated.
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Quote by Sheepbane
Ok so tonight I plan to start tackling learning songs by ear. The song I plan to start with is Battle of Oblivion by Celesty. I was wondering if anyone can give me any tips on how to tackle a song properly. Should I start at the begining? should i get the verse and chours rythem down first? any and all advice is apreciated.

good for you, there is alot to be gained by using your own ears/brain to learn a song.

The best tip I can offer is pick a riff that seems doable, and learn that. Then learn more if you can. You don't necessarily have to learn it from the very beginning to the very end (that would be ideal though if you are capable of it). For starters, learning any part of the song at all is a step in the right direction. Also you may consider looking at some tabs after you figure it out to confirm what you learned. when doing that though, be aware that a large majority of tabs on the net are wrong (so use your own ears to judge) ..... but at least it gives you something to reference.

Good luck, and more importantly....... have fun!
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 17, 2008,
Lots of pop music will be entirely in the key of say D minor or G major, for example with little or no deviations, so being aware of that can help you learn it much more quickly by reducing the amount of potential notes you might consider by half. I've always found that in essentially all cases the easiest way to start is by figuring out what key the song might be in, especially if you're trying to figure out a chord progression in it, although if you're not there yet, or if there are any "outside notes" or key changes it can be tricky.
If you don't know anything about recognizing keys (which you should, find an article about the circle of fifths etc if you don't) the only thing you can really do is feel it out. If you approach it by feel, all I can say is take it piece by piece and really, really listen. Also, don't for example struggle on your own with a song that you just can't totally figure out; you shouldn't be afraid to look at a tab for tricky or mystifying parts...it's not cheating and it will help keep you moving forward.
lol tabs are non existant for good music lol
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Quote by Sheepbane
lol tabs are non existant for good music lol

well then you'll just have to rely on your own ears.
shred is gaudy music