Our band are playing a show in a city we dont know very well. We can't expect our friends to travel the hour journey to go there, so we need people to come from the area.
My question is, how do we do that? We are completely unknown there, and the venue wants 15 people coming to see us specifically, at the very least.
Ive thought about going there before the gig and busking, to raise awareness, but I'm not sure on permits and whatnot.
Any help from you guys?
It sounds pretty silly to me that the venue expect you to do the promoting, it should be their job.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
It sounds pretty silly to me that the venue expect you to do the promoting, it should be their job.

Nah, they're promoting too, its just they ask people on the door who they came to see. This way they can see which bands are bringing in the most people, and know who to ask back. That seems fair enough.

EDIT: Also, the money they pay the bands is based on the number of people they bring. The 15 benchmark is to cover their costs.
15? piece of piss. Myspace is your friend
My band on the other hand have to sell 100 (this will be our 7th gig)
ohai little sig.
Quote by time_for_food
Nah, they're promoting too, its just they ask people on the door who they came to see. This way they can see which bands are bringing in the most people, and know who to ask back. That seems fair enough.

EDIT: Also, the money they pay the bands is based on the number of people they bring. The 15 benchmark is to cover their costs.

oh right. Then get myspacin
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
If you can go there to busk, you can also go there to put posters up.
And while your there, hand out as many fliers in the town centre as you can, obviously giving most of them out to people who look like they'd probably be into your band.

Here's a good one.
Get in touch with the gig organiser and arrange for two tickets to be held on the door for you, pay for them if you must, then get in touch with whatever the local newspaper is in the town you're playing and ask to speak to a reporter associated with their 'What's On' guide (almost every local newspaper has some sort of local events guide)
Tell them that you're coming to their town to play a one off gig and that you've got two free tickets to give away to two lucky readers, to be chosen at the reporters discretion. (they'll probably want to run a competition, in which case they'll ask you to set a question, in which case, make it a really easy one that anyone will know)

Works every time.

Oh, and those flyers?
Make sure there's just your name on the flyer and that it also has the price of the gig printed on it, but make sure the price you print is £1 more expensive than the actual door price, then tell everyone who takes a flyer to tell the people on the door that they've come to see your band and they'll get in for a quid cheaper.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 17, 2008,