Hi there,
I play mostly metal, and I'm looking into new string, as I'm not happy with the Elixir Nanoweb's I have right now.

I'm taking a look at the D'Addario site and have found the following types of strings;
prosteels, nickel plated steels, half rounds, pure nickel and flat wound stainless. I like gauges such as 10-52, although my dream gauge would be 10-49.

Just wondering if anyone uses any of the above strings for metal, and which are the best D'Addario's for metal.

Thanks in advance.
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony/Gold
Jackson RR5 Ivory w/Black Pinstripes
Epiphone Les Paul 100 *For Sale*
Yamaha FX370C
Marshall AVT150HX + AVT4x12
Why not try some out? It's not like they're expensive, but yeah, just buy a few packs, see what's best for you.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I use D'addario 10-52s for metal and really like them.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
46-10's
the yellow packet, whack some fast fret on those buggers and you're set to shred a man to death.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
I use D'addiro 9s on my Ibanez, which have done me great, a lot better than Ernie Balls for a trem equipped guitar.
I've been using ernie ball 10s for my Carvin but next string change will see D'addiro 10s for it, I'm holding high hopes as the Ernie Balls have done me well on it and judging the enhancement it gave my Ibby, I'm hoping there's a pattern.
i use the d'addario 11 to 52 i think haha, im not too sure, it is a blue pack, XL on the front, and it says 'Jazz/Blues Rock' on the front... BOLLOCKS to that!

i have them on my ibanez iceman and it can handle being tuned from E standard to dropped all the way down to B standard and drop A although it is floppy lol, they have seemed to last for AAGES, much better than the ernies ive used that went black within a few weeks. I just ask for the 11. d'addarios at PMT in southend and it wacks it up on the till for a fiver, very good strings in my opinion and i will always use them, especially for METALL >: D
Why go right to d'Addario? There are lots of great brands, my favorite for metal being DR. Long lasting strings that take a lot of abuse. On my Ibanez though, d'Addario get the call. Remember, gauge and plating is the most important part for tone. Brand more often than not comes down to feel and durability. Try some different brands
Quote by CJRocker
Why go right to d'Addario? There are lots of great brands, my favorite for metal being DR. Long lasting strings that take a lot of abuse. On my Ibanez though, d'Addario get the call. Remember, gauge and plating is the most important part for tone. Brand more often than not comes down to feel and durability. Try some different brands

In the past I've used some kind of Fender strings, then to Gibson Humbucker strings, then to Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom, then to Elixir Nanowebs, and now.......

The only reason I switched from EB's to Elixir was because my strings began to rust, but after about a week on Elixir's i've decided that I dont like the coated feel. I may end up returning to EB's, just wanted any opinions on D'Addarios.
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony/Gold
Jackson RR5 Ivory w/Black Pinstripes
Epiphone Les Paul 100 *For Sale*
Yamaha FX370C
Marshall AVT150HX + AVT4x12
Last edited by Metfan1991 at Sep 17, 2008,
i havn really found the strins that i reall like yet,and ya, i do think its all a gimmick, but i real dont like ernie balls for some reason, i dont no why most of the guitarists use them. im gonna go back to daddarios, and then try some DRs, and ill se which i like better.
but there arent like strings for specil genres.
its just wire, remember!
Ddarrios are good they last longer than many other brands and can be gotten anywhere. Might want to stick with the regulars as they are gonna be easier to find at most stores.
I used to be an D'Addario fan, but now I swear by ernie ball. It's ALL personal preference. You just have to try some till ya find some ya dig.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
i really like ernie ball, tried dunlops and hated them
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
As a long time D'Addario user I know them pretty well. Go for them if you want a brighter sound or if your guitar itself sounds dark, 'cause they're pretty bright strings in general.

I'd generally recommend the standard nickelplated ones, the XL's, though the Prosteels are also nice. They have 10-52's which is IMO the ideal gauge for metal (in standard tuning, I mean). And if you'd like to have 10-49 well, they don't have it I think, but they make a 11-49 set.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby