I've now owned my 6505+ for about 6 months, during which I've played shows in a TON of different venues ranging in size from tiny bars to LARGE clubs and concert halls. I have also rehearsed with it in multiple sized rooms. I can now confidently state as a fact that this amp is TOO LOUD for 99% of the musicians who will probably ever use it.

I don't know why everyone out there is set on getting an amp that advertises that magical "100-watt" mark or higher, such as the 120-watts that the 6505+ puts out, but in all reality, there is almost nowhere that most musicians will ever play that will allow you sound-wise to play the amp at a volume that makes it really shine. I play in a heavy, loud, modern rock band and we like to play pretty loud at our shows, but even at those loud shows I find myself keeping the settings of the amp around 2 to 2 1/2.

The 6505+ is hands down the best sounding amp I've ever heard....once you turn it up to about 3 - 3 1/2 or higher, that is. 3 1/2 on this amp is awesome, but insanely loud. Any higher than that and you will probably never be invited back to that venue again unless you are playing to sold out stadiums, not to mention people will be walking out the door two songs into your set wondering why their ears haven't begun to bleed yet. When it's down below the 3 mark, this amp just doesn't sound very good and as it gets quieter, it gets worse, especially when cranking up the gain. It gets extremely thin and tinny.

If this head was made in a 50- or 60-watt version (and with three channels, just because I'd love for it to come in a 3-channel configuration), it would probably be the only amp I'd ever use for the rest of my life. But the fact is you really just can NOT use it how it's supposed to be used unless you're a major band playing in some HUGE venues. It's too freakin loud for your everyday gigging musician. I literally laugh out loud when I see people posting threads like, "6505+ - too loud for rehearsal?" or better yet, "Looking to get a 6505+ for practicing in my room"...

Oh yeah, and they DO make a 60-watt combo version of the regular 6505 now, but what respectable guitarist from a serious modern rock band would be seen on stage playing through a 2x12 combo? Come on Peavey, 60-watts and a 3-channel configuration and you'll have a lifetime customer.

PSM
Last edited by PSM at Sep 17, 2008,
but what respectable guitarist from a serious modern rock band would be seen on stage playing through a 2x12 combo?

I completely disagree with this, if you are good at guitar, it shouldnt matter if you have a half stack or not. I could play a gig with a 30 watt SS amp if they had a PA system, there is not a need for a half or full stack.
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
Attenuator my friend, attenuator.
I agree, my 6505+ halfstack is absolutely incredible but live I never crank it past 3 or 4
ohai little sig.
Quote by PSM

Oh yeah, and they DO make a 60-watt combo version of the regular 6505 now, but what respectable guitarist from a serious modern rock band would be seen on stage playing through a 2x12 combo? Come on Peavey, 60-watts and a 3-channel configuration and you'll have a lifetime customer.

PSM

I would, Your real stuiped if you cannot get over "I have to have a half stack to look good" when it sounds "thin" at the volume you have to run it. I use a 120 wat Triple XXX 212 and I don't think its really all that loud, I mean it can get real loud but it sound nearly as good at the volume I play at as it does up half way, but play it through a 412 cab and it crazy. Get off the Half stack banwagon and get a combo or an attenuator and stop complaining.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Last edited by Johnbryant at Sep 17, 2008,
Attenuataaaaarrr!!
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Hahaha, I figured I'd get some great responses with that combo crack. Should have put the smiley in there so you'd realize I was just poking fun.

Anyways, yeah, I really should look into one of those attenuators. I just don't understand why all of these manufacturers feel the need to build all of these great amps with WAY too much power. Most people will never really use 100-watts to anywhere near full potential, but could often obtain much better sounds with the same amp at half that power. At the same time, it seems like a great marketing thing. Most guitarists who are shopping for an amp start thinking like this: "Why spend all this money on a 50-watt amp when I could get 100 WATTS for only a little more???!!!!"

hahaha

Oh and by the way, anyone who doesn't think a half stack looks WAY cooler on stage is lying to themselves.... (and just so you know, this band is the first band I've ever used a half stack with; I've always been a combo guy myself for portability, but I finally sucked it up and realized there is very little extra effort required for the half stack, so it's worth it )
Quote by PSM
Oh yeah, and they DO make a 60-watt combo version of the regular 6505 now, but what respectable guitarist from a serious modern rock band would be seen on stage playing through a 2x12 combo?

This statement just negated anything you said that may have been true.

This thread is pointless now.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Really though 50 compare to a 100 watt amp is pretty equal, the volume difference on the same cab would be only 3db, and only 3-4 on a 120 watt amp. But in your sistuation right at the edge between sounding good, and sounding thin that a 50 or 60 watt amp would sound the way you want it to. Also you could try a smaller cab, a 212 cab would knock a few dbs off your amp and should allow you to push it a little harder. Try disconecting two of your speakers in your 412 and see if that helps.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Quote by MatrixClaw
This statement just negated anything you said that may have been true.

This thread is pointless now.

...sigh...

It was a joke, guys....the reason I can't go with the combo is because it's a 6505 combo, not the 6505+. I need the separate EQ for each channel.

Plus it just doesn't look as badass.
Quote by Johnbryant
Really though 50 compare to a 100 watt amp is pretty equal, the volume difference on the same cab would be only 3db, and only 3-4 on a 120 watt amp. But in your sistuation right at the edge between sounding good, and sounding thin that a 50 or 60 watt amp would sound the way you want it to. Also you could try a smaller cab, a 212 cab would knock a few dbs off your amp and should allow you to push it a little harder. Try disconecting two of your speakers in your 412 and see if that helps.

How do you like the sound of the XXX compared to the 6505+? Have you A/Bed them? When I was looking at my 6505+, I was searching for a XXX to test out but nobody had one. And then the 6505+ kicked so much ass I didn't bother to keep searching.
Quote by PSM
...sigh...

It was a joke, guys....the reason I can't go with the combo is because it's a 6505 combo, not the 6505+. I need the separate EQ for each channel.

Plus it just doesn't look as badass.

Then if you want a 60W head, pull the 2 inner or outer power tubes and cut the ohms of your cab in half.

Problem solved.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Then if you want a 60W head, pull the 2 inner or outer power tubes and cut the ohms of your cab in half.

Problem solved.

I'm afraid I don't know how to cut the ohms of my cab in half.

How do you like that Splawn, by the way? I hear nothing but great things but have never come across one before.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Problem solved.

This does pretty much solve your problem.
Even though i found that the combo that's 60 watts still needs to be cranked quite a bit to sound good.
Or if you want to invest some extra money and get it modded. The mods usually help the amp sound better at lower volumes.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
This does pretty much solve your problem.
Even though i found that the combo that's 60 watts still needs to be cranked quite a bit to sound good.
Or if you want to invest some extra money and get it modded. The mods usually help the amp sound better at lower volumes.

And this is safe for the amp to literally just pull two of the tubes out and run it like that?
Quote by PSM
I'm afraid I don't know how to cut the ohms of my cab in half.

How do you like that Splawn, by the way? I hear nothing but great things but have never come across one before.

If you have an 8 ohm cab, plug it in the 4 ohm input instead. That's all you need to do

I love it, it only sounds more awesome everytime I play it
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Thats not gonna stop me from getting the half stack
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
High gain amps are usually high wattage because for metal you want a lot of headroom and no power tube saturation. My advice is get a volume pedal, turn that sucker down, and turn the volume on the amp up. This will get you good pre-amp saturation
gear:
-Ibanez ART 120 (w/EMG 81/85)
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
Quote by fearo
High gain amps are usually high wattage because for metal you want a lot of headroom and no power tube saturation. My advice is get a volume pedal, turn that sucker down, and turn the volume on the amp up. This will get you good pre-amp saturation

Sorry, but very little of that is true.

No matter what, metalheads still need a bit of output valve distortion.

A volume pedal will not act as an attenuator, and most definitley not pre amp distortion. Preamp is the pre gain knob on 6505+'s. I think you meant power tube.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
all i have used for the last 14 years is stacks and half stacks...i just use the master volume ,...thats what its there for....there was a time..back in the dark ages when you had to crank your amps to make it sound good...those days are no more...if you still feel thats not doing it for you...the removal of 2 of the power tubs suggested by matrixclaw is the best answer,...

good luck
Quote by jessexxx
all i have used for the last 14 years is stacks and half stacks...i just use the master volume ,...thats what its there for....there was a time..back in the dark ages when you had to crank your amps to make it sound good...those days are no more...if you still feel thats not doing it for you...the removal of 2 of the power tubs suggested by matrixclaw is the best answer,...

good luck

There is no Master volume on the 6505+. Each channel has a Pre and Post and that's it. And yes, those days still exist, especially with this particular amplifier.
Pussssy, I play mine at 6+ live. In the bedroom for jam I once played at 9, but it was on my friends 5150 and there were only two tubes.
Quote by ledhendrix711
do u guys know where i can get guitar tabs ive bin lookin every where on the internet..

Quote by Muphin
I take the strings off before I smash my guitars. I usually go through about 2 a week. It's mad fun.
Quote by PSM
How do you like the sound of the XXX compared to the 6505+? Have you A/Bed them? When I was looking at my 6505+, I was searching for a XXX to test out but nobody had one. And then the 6505+ kicked so much ass I didn't bother to keep searching.

Really the amps are not really comparable, they are different in nearly every aspect. Both are very good for hard rock-Metal, but The gain structures are quite different, the 5150 is a much darker amp, while the triple is much brighter. The Triple has Three Channels, one being clean, which BTW is a much nicer sounding clean the the 5150, two being the crunch channel which is a mid/high gainl, think hottroded Marshall tone here. And lastly is the Ultra which is the high gain channel. The Triple xxx suits me much better than a 5150 would becasue its just simply way more versatile, I can need an amp that can go from a JCM 800 tone to a modern high gain tone and it does that VERY well. I no metal head, but love that kind of tone, but it really doesn't work for me all the time in some of my music, and I love the old marshall tone as well. Really I think the 5150 is kind of its own sound, its like Peavey Started with a Plexi, and totally through out all the stops and added gain stage after gain stage until they created a monster all on it own. The Tripple XXX really has some Mesa Boogie influence on the desing and tone, I really think they will keep up with many of the "high dollar" amps and do it well. Both are good, just different flavors.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
^ oh and the triple XXX sounds pretty decent a bed room volumes, it does sound better if you crank it a little, but I by no mean crank my amp and it sounds great just loud enough to get over the drums. My SM57 takes it from there.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6