I'm putting my guitar in checked baggage for when I fly to Japan tomorrow morning (From the US). I have an extremely good hard case that the guitar fits in snuggly.

1. I see some people say that I should loosen my strings. Is this necessary with a hard case? Its no hassle I guess

2. Anything else I should do? I have one of those small humidifiers but I've never used one.

EDIT: Its acoustic
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Contact the airline and see if it'd be a possibility that you carry the guitar onboard with you. A guitar would be an easy thing for some unscrupulous baggage handler to walk off with, and some of those guys aren't too careful with the luggage.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
i think it will be all right since you have a hard case. i doubt that u can carry it on.
try and carry it on, just to be on the safe side. They should let you, I've known several mates do it. If not, a hard case should be fine and you shouldn't need to loosen the strings (or at least, I can't think of a reason why you should)
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Preferably you would have a flightcase. The sturdiest hard case might not be enough for the trip.
lossen the strings because the alttitude will expand the wood and if your strings are tight it some times snap your fretboard and neck of your guitar in half.
Really?? That surprises me to be honest.

Firstly I can't think of any reason why altitude would cause wood to expand and secondly, I would have thought you're strings would break before the neck and fretboard would snap.
Quote by Jaksar
Really?? That surprises me to be honest.

Firstly I can't think of any reason why altitude would cause wood to expand and secondly, I would have thought you're strings would break before the neck and fretboard would snap.

Gotta agree. Especially on the last point. No string for a guitar can be strong enough to break a neck, or any other part of the guitar, in half. If so, better use that stuff for some knunchucks or something.
I've taken my guitar on several flights (although none over-seas... there and back to winnipeg twice, there and back from california, and also vancouver [from toronto]), and they've never let me carry it on. I make sure it gets one of those fragile stickers (although that almost certainly makes no differnce...), downtune the strings, and I wrap it in a few towels to keep it form moving around inside the case (a bath towel at the headstock to fill that space inside the case, and a smaller towel/pillowcase around the body). I've never had any problems.

That being said, stuff can shift during flight a lot more on an overseas flight, so a flight case would be ideal, but if not, just take regular precautions..