i just recieved my inspiron last night and it worked fine all night and a few minutes into the next day. (i would also like to point out that i this is my first pc running vista so it might be because of that). the only things i have done withit so far are download some anti-spyware/andmalware software and upload some of my CDs to windows media player. my problem seems to liw within a few key areas.

1. within less than a day the entire machine seems to run slower than my dads spyware loaded 5 yearold desk-top model.

2. it came pre-loaded with plenty of unnesscesary software.(although i guess thats to be expected of any pc manufacturer)

3. vistas interface in particular seems specificly designed to keep the user from viewing information like individual ram usage by specific applications.( i cannot seem to figure out how to keep all this pre-loaded stuff from activating upon start up)

sorry to sound so bitchy. but its a brand new machine and i really want to get this working properly. it shouldn't take a half-hour once it starts to be barely functional) for example. even moving an icon on the desktop takes a minute to recognize the command and then move, probably 10 minutes to open a folder. Please any help at all is appreciated. Thanks so much.
MY BANDS

Phat Toosday and the Astro-Bus
artists.ultimate-guitar.com/ptabmusic

Lets All Get Superpowers
artists.ultimate-guitar.com/lags

Hobstolopho
artists.ultimate-guitar.com/hobstolopho

Come Visit Today!!!
would you elaborate please. i'm not that skilled with fixing the magic robot-calcumator box
MY BANDS

Lets All Get Superpowers

Hobstolopho

Come Visit Today!!!
start> run > msnconfig.exe go to startup, untick all the things you dont want to load when you first start your laptop. uninstall all the crap they put on the computer, more than likely things like a months free virus protection etc etc.

what are the specs of your machine and what version of vista are you running.... go to the task manager and check how much ram is being used
Google is your soul mate. Reach out to it.

Format your hard drive, then use the Vista disc that probably came with your laptop to reinstall a blank copy of Vista. This will remove any unneccessary crap.
The Prime Factorisation of the number of the beast : 2x3x3x37
Quote by tortillamaster
would you elaborate please. i'm not that skilled with fixing the magic robot-calcumator box

to format:

my computer > right click C: drive > format.
then you choose one of the options. can't remember which one it's called though. google is your friend.
U have a dilldo atachment on your laptop?!?!?!
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

,___,
[¬.¬]
/)__)
-"--"-

Quote by FishCream
Stop Performing Meathook Sodomy On Yourself
Anti-virus/spyware stuff is more trouble than it's worth IMO. I removed mine because it was hogging my CPU almost as much as games were. But yeah, msconfig and uncheck unwanted startup things.
Quote by slaveofsatan
U have a dilldo atachment on your laptop?!?!?!

what? did i not notice a hilarious mispelling
MY BANDS

Lets All Get Superpowers

Hobstolopho

Come Visit Today!!!
Quote by rigiddigits
Anti-virus/spyware stuff is more trouble than it's worth IMO. I removed mine because it was hogging my CPU almost as much as games were. But yeah, msconfig and uncheck unwanted startup things.

My pc only has windows defender on it which seems to do nothing and thats all! It's been running for over 4 years now.
how much RAM do you have on your computer? vista needs at the very least 2GB of RAM to process correctly. If you can, max out your RAM, Ive got like 4GB on mine and its pretty quick.
mine has 4 gigs. by the way: i'm not actually on the thing right now. it runs so slow i had to use my colleges computer lab
MY BANDS

Lets All Get Superpowers

Hobstolopho

Come Visit Today!!!
hah, thats interesting then, ive got the same laptop, and by the sounds of it the same setup going on. My computer knowledge is limited, i wish i could help you out man. Maybe try defragmenting it, and the restart when its done? it takes a while sometimes, but its helped me a lot in the past. just type in defragment in the search bar under the start menu and it should pop up. Anyways good luck.
Quote by Daniel8488
start> run > msconfig.exe go to startup, untick all the things you dont want to load when you first start your laptop. uninstall all the crap they put on the computer, more than likely things like a months free virus protection etc etc.

FIXED TS, do this.
Quote by Jonjy2
Haha! You are awesome Bucketbotman!! Lolz!!

+100

I CAN PUT MY FOOT BEHIND MY HEAD!

Gear
Ibanez RG370DX special edition!
Tanglewood Oddessy Acoustic
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960's A slant cab
Fender 40W amp
Dunlop Crybaby