View poll results: Which one to get?
PRS SE Soapbar II
5 16%
PRS SE Custom
21 68%
Other (please specify)
5 16%
Voters: 31.
Hey guys, I don't normally do this but I really can't decide! I need a new guitar and would quite like a PRS. My budget is £500 or less and so far I've found these two beauties: SE Soapbar II and SE Custom
I can't decide which one I like more, so I'm asking your opinions
Cheers
What do you intent to play with one or the other ? They are two very different guitars, ona has got a brighter unplugged sound with the maple top, while it's sound is more''square'' hence with the humbuckers. On the other hand you've got a warmer, rounder-sounding mahogany guitar that really lets the warm take the space since the p90s are way clearer than beefy humbuckers.

They respond to overdrive & high gain very differently, likewise on clean BUT their playability seems similar, same neck & fretboard length. So try 'em out with your amp, and I insist on YOUR amp, you can't know how much shitty it can get with your little practice thingy after you've tried it out on a tube-propelled monster (doesn't apply if you've got at least a half-decent amp to play with).
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
YAY! Someone replied and properly! Thanks man
Erm, I play a variety of stuff; mostly metal and rock stuff, but also some bluesy stuff too. I find it interesting you say they're very different, I assumed they were quite similar. though I was looking for the warmer sound you mentioned, presumably you mean the Soapbar? Thanks for the advice though.
i'd say the SE Custom just because the humbuckers might be better for the heavier stuff
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
SE Custom definatly non-tremolo though
i love the double cut. the humbuckers are a plus too
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Artist
IbanezGXR20
Line 6 Spider ll 75
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Nano Small Stone
Alvarez FF60WR

Labyrinth Within
I have a Soapbar and love it, i've never had the pleasure of playing the custom thought, if you do go with the soapbar I got mine for £260 so look around on a few sites. You getting a great guitar though whichever you choose.

Edit: I just had a quick look and found this one £250, it is limited to the one colour though.
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
Last edited by King85 at Sep 17, 2008,
Just wondering, have you ever tried to play one of these? More importantly, do you know how they feel?
Quote by dogismycopilot
Just wondering, have you ever tried to play one of these? More importantly, do you know how they feel?

TBH no, but I've heard they're fantastic and I know PRS have a great reputation. And I know Mikael Akerfeld uses one, and he's one of my guitar heroes. I know that might sound like a rather stupid idea to go for this guitar seeing as he probably paid thousands for his, but hey, you've gotta start somewhere. Currently I've got an Ibanez RG320FM but the tremolo broke recently and I've wanted a fixed bridge guitar for a while now, as it's less hassle
I like the looks of the custom better but I've never played either, so I had to vote based on that.
Quote by uk.mace
TBH no, but I've heard they're fantastic and I know PRS have a great reputation. And I know Mikael Akerfeld uses one, and he's one of my guitar heroes. I know that might sound like a rather stupid idea to go for this guitar seeing as he probably paid thousands for his, but hey, you've gotta start somewhere. Currently I've got an Ibanez RG320FM but the tremolo broke recently and I've wanted a fixed bridge guitar for a while now, as it's less hassle

Well im a die-hard Ibanez fan and i tried a PRS lately. I didnt care much for the feel of the neck, let alone the placement of the knobs and the overall feel. It just isnt a guitar for me. You should really try one out before you buy it.
Quote by uk.mace

Marshall have a good reputation, but it's not like that with the MG; it's sorta the same with the SE series of PRS. Not to say they're bad guitars, they're pretty good, but they just aren't as good as half the guitars that cost the same amount of money. The necks are quite peculiar, I think, they feel really strange and I can't get used to them, and I don't think the hardware is the best either. I mean, you can change all the hardware, but you can't change the neck, if you get me. I don't think they sound the best either, for the price.

Maybe look at some other guitars; don't limit yourself to one brand, just because your favourite guitarist uses one. You could get an Epiphone G400, and mod it out with new pickups and things, and get it into a beast of a guitar for, essentially, the same price. Not to say you like SGs or anything, it's just an idea.

But yeah. That's what I say.
Cam Sampbell's my hero