Hey all

With 2hand tapping my notes never seem to sound anything more than a little pindropping sound. A simple tap i can do but sounds nothing like what it should is the solo on One by Metallica

e|-t19p15p12-t19p15p12-t19p15p12-t19p15p12-t19p15p12-t19p15p12-t19p15p12-|

and progresses to

e|-t20p15p12-t20p15p12-t20p15p12-t20p15p12-t20p15p12-t20p15p12-t120p15p12-|

Should i be really hammering hard on the strings or turn my volume etc up to max? Its barely audible unless on full effects, and i gotta turn it all down again when i get back to the rhythm.

any tips and pointers for tapping?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/metallica/one_ver2_tab.htm

is link to tab

Cheers
My guitar teacher taught me at first when i learned tapping that youve gotta imagin your trying to break a hole through the neck of the guitar when you tap, if you keep practising then it will come naturally
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by metalnoob89
Hey all

With 2hand tapping my notes never seem to sound anything more than a little pindropping sound. A simple tap i can do but sounds nothing like what it should is the solo on One by Metallica

e|-t19p15p12-t19p15p12-t19p15p12-t19p15p12-t19p15p12-t19p15p12-t19p15p12-|

and progresses to

e|-t20p15p12-t20p15p12-t20p15p12-t20p15p12-t20p15p12-t20p15p12-t120p15p12-|

Should i be really hammering hard on the strings or turn my volume etc up to max? Its barely audible unless on full effects, and i gotta turn it all down again when i get back to the rhythm.

any tips and pointers for tapping?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/metallica/one_ver2_tab.htm

is link to tab

Cheers

hmm, what kind of gear do you have?
You need something to boost your solos, such as a tubescreamer, or even a solo channel on your amp.

Also, when tapping, you need to flick your tapping finger off the string in a downwards motion, have a look at this video, it'll help you alot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XMr12RJIIY&feature=related

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by charlie__flynn
My guitar teacher taught me at first when i learned tapping that youve gotta imagin your trying to break a hole through the neck of the guitar when you tap, if you keep practising then it will come naturally

yep. that guitar neck just banged your gf... stab it!

you really do have to tap pretty hard, though, so keep at it and you'll get it.
+1 for everyone.

Tap it hard. Like you would have that high school crush you had, but never did. And like said before, downward motion as you lift off.

Now, for my input, i actually use my pick to tap. Its sounds sharper, more clear to me. not to mention faster. But than again, i have slowfingers/arthritis/carpeltunnel/ineedtostopcrackingmyfingersitis, so thats just about the only for me to do it =P
Yeah, you have to tap hard and "pull off" with your tapping finger. The pulling off is important. Practice hammer ons and pull offs. First That will help.
i find compressors/sustainers really bring up the sound of the tap, not mad on the buzz they create though, but when i was using the boss Cs-2 (or whatever) it really made my tapping sound a lot stronger. but adding more boost with my ts-9 also does the trick
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
I do what some other person suggested: use the edge of the pick for tapping like that.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Wow thanks for replies guys. I have a Beringer strat from some "your first guitar" that i bought from a 2nd hand dealer. The amp sucked so i bought a Roland Cube 15W.

About the tapping with a pick i tried that before but all i did was destroy my fav pick! Will practice the "pulling off downards" stuff see how it goes.

Aha i know the attack guitar thing, but its like stabbing cheese wire so cant practice tapping all day without fear of breaking the skin on my fingers (tapping with my non-fretting hand)
Yup and No, Kirk taps with the pick and it sounds best being pick tapped. For the pick breaking, oh well, that souldn't take you away from proper technique. Buy more picks and try some heavier gauges. Seriously they're the cheapest damn things. I normally have about 20 sitting on each of my amps.

Pulling off downwards works but with practice it really becomes less difficult to get the sound out. I think right now you'd also find it difficult to play at tempo. The plus side of using the pick is that you're learning a new technique YAY!
Last edited by DeanESPJackson at Sep 17, 2008,
Try practicing unplugged maybe? It'll get you playing louder in general.

What I do if I'm having a bad day for tapping is adjust my amp so that playing at regular volume is at 1/2 on the guitar volume knob. Crank the knob if you're doing a tapping section and bring it back to normal when you're done. It isn't a good practice to get into, but it should work in a pinch.