Hello there my sweet UGers.

I'm lead guitar in our band, but have payed bass for 2 years.

We have found a permanent bass player, but i have a slight problem

Both him and the rhythm guitarest judge their instruments purely on looks, not tone. They both want 'metal looks' I mean for example:

Me - you wont get a desent sounding bass for £150 if ur goin purely on looks

The bassist ad rhythm guitarest - dude we want looks he likes we dont care bout tone its goin thru a stomp box neway

I tried convincing him that A) tone is vital and B) stomp boxes aren't a cure-all, but nothing came of it.

What can i do? *anticipates orders to leave the band*
Tell him he's an idiot...

... and that the internet knows better than he does.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Start a new band and treat this one as a mess about and a laugh. Use it to try strange and different time signitures. I've done that as a little side project it's a right laugh.
kick em' out
find some1 who actually cares about the band
and some1 who actually cares about their sound
simple lol
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Your spelling was doing so well up until the quotes, please make them understandable and I will glady offer my expertice. Oh and some commas wouldn't go a miss either.
Tell him as a bassist he's required to care deeply about tone. Seriously, its in the union bylaws. Just ask one of the guitarists I play with--I had to hear one of his rants over lunch. "Goddamn bass players! All I hear is you talking about is tone. Your tone, the guitarists tone etc etc!! I have never met a bunch of people who could spend hours just talking about tone!!"

Needless to say, he was told by another bass player he gigs with that his tone was off during a gig.
Quote by aaciseric
Your spelling was doing so well up until the quotes, please make them understandable and I will glady offer my expertice. Oh and some commas wouldn't go a miss either.

Apologies, those were direct quotes from an MSN conversation, copied and pasted into the text box. What the quotes were trying to say were that I say you cant buy a decent dound bass guitar for £150 based purely on looks, and he openly says that he doesn't care about tone and that he will make it sound better with a stomp box.

Why must people be posers?
People play music for different reasons. If you want to play with serious musicians, find serious musicians.
Quote by deadringer13
Apologies, those were direct quotes from an MSN conversation, copied and pasted into the text box. What the quotes were trying to say were that I say you cant buy a decent dound bass guitar for £150 based purely on looks, and he openly says that he doesn't care about tone and that he will make it sound better with a stomp box.

Why must people be posers?

Thank you for that. Well the way I see it you have two options:
1: You can educate him on bass tone and hope he learns where he's going wrong.
2: Fire him and find a real bassist.

Or a possible third option:
3: Send him to the Bass Forum, we will deal with him.
Quote by aaciseric
Thank you for that. Well the way I see it you have two options:
1: You can educate him on bass tone and hope he learns where he's going wrong.
2: Fire him and find a real bassist.

Or a possible third option:
3: Send him to the Bass Forum, we will deal with him.

*selects option 3* I assume he shall be dealt with acordingly?
Send him to the Bass Forum, We'll set his head right.

On a serious note, If you wanted to play music with musicians, you should've found musicians to play with. These are not real musicians. Just leave the band.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by smb
People play music for different reasons. If you want to play with serious musicians, find serious musicians.

Boyce is right here. Most of the unworkable situations in bands I have been in have arisen from the fact that the band members had completely different goals in playing music. If two members of your band feel this way and you don't, its time to look elsewhere.
Quote by anarkee
Tell him as a bassist he's required to care deeply about tone. Seriously, its in the union bylaws. Just ask one of the guitarists I play with--I had to hear one of his rants over lunch. "Goddamn bass players! All I hear is you talking about is tone. Your tone, the guitarists tone etc etc!! I have never met a bunch of people who could spend hours just talking about tone!!"

Needless to say, he was told by another bass player he gigs with that his tone was off during a gig.

I have started to consider myself more of a bassist than a guitarist but that did it right there. I always ask local musicians what their EQ is and I'm always shocked when they don't know or when they don't know how to shape it. I'm fascinated with finding certain sounds.

Tell them that you can't see their br00tal guitars in a recording, you only hear tone. You're making MUSIC not visual art. Visual can aid the music but the tone of your instrument is most important.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by anarkee

that is so so true

I know a two brothers who are G'n'R, Gibson and Epiphone fan boys, The Older one owns a Gibbo Les Paul (i love this thing)and an Epi SG (best epi i've played) and puts them through a Behringer amp and Korg Toneworks and his younger brother owns a Washburn Starter bass (single P pickup), Gibbo Explorer Guitar and a Epi Goth Thunderbird (which even people who don't play bass have commented on the crap sound of it). He insists on playing the thunderbird as his main bass when the washburn sounds so much better.

I had to do some recording one day with a mate and the only rig we had access to was the SG and Korg to run through a Fender Deville combo. So i sat there for ten minutes having no idea how this korg worked and found a tone that i liked and the owner comes in and says, "Holy shit how did you get such a good tone?", "Please save that Tone for me"

It turns out i can get a better Slash tone then then my G'n'R Fanboy mate
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
I cant understad why people act like that if your gonna go on stage you want to be sure
that you can be proud and satisified with your sound and not make complete show of yourself I've seen it happen many times. As far as I'm concerned image is nothing when it comes to guitars you want a metal image wear metal clothes

When I decided to invest in an expensive bass I made a short list and played each for a half hour over a putting them through their paces my main concern was could it give me the sound I wanted and was it comfortable to play. Unfortunatly I coudnt get my first choice for sound because the neck didnt suit my hands so I settled for the happy medium it was a compromise but there is no point in havig a instrument you cant maximise to it's full potential

I suggest you talk your band mates into compairing different guitars so they can witness how crap their "Metal" guitars realy are if they choose to ignore the obvious fats they aretn band matirial
Print this out and tell them it perfectly matches their logic.

Also be sure to remind them that the internet knows more than them.
Quote by i_don't_know
Print this out and tell them it perfectly matches their logic.

Also be sure to remind them that the internet knows more than them.

this XD
You could always kill them. Then there would be two less people in the world ruining music.

Alternatively, you could find some good musicians to play with. You might keep gigging with the musically retarded guys for connections - keep meeting musicians, asking if they know any musicians who need you.

Just uh, don't let those guys hear you're looking around for a new band. That might throw a monkey wrench into the whole deal.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
I think you should leave and start a new band, but see if you can secretly find new band mates before doing so.

Quote by deadringer13
Also, around these here parts, musicians are scairce, bassists even more so

I think that would be the one problem in trying to form a whole new band. Really, good musicians, especially bassists, are hard to find. That's the reason I chose bass. I couldn't decide whether to learn guitar or bass until I realized the "supply and demand" aspect of it (both my parents have a background in economics. It kinda rubbed off on me lol). Still, you sound like a good band mate who actually cares about all the instruments (very important for bassists), so if you can find serious musicians, it shouldn't be too hard after that
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Also, if that was copied from an msn conversation, tell them to learn how to spell.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding