Or does it have to be firewire..i want zero latency but i heard its possible to change the buffer settings to get negliable latency on USB?!?
I really dont see why not have a play around and see
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Isn't processor speed a more important factor in determining latency anyway? Im not too sure..
Quote by Meatball200
Isn't processor speed a more important factor in determining latency anyway? Im not too sure..

oh well i have a quadcore 4gb ram 7200rpm hdd. however with my zoom fx pedal i still get latency.
Quote by charlie__flynn
I really dont see why not have a play around and see

a play around..would involve taking my electronic kit to a shop 30 miles away and setting up instore while getting the guy to spend hours setting up midi presets on both firewire and usb interfaces. Capiche?!?
the thing about USB interfaces is most are wired to mix down after you go above 2 inputs at one time.
I highly suggest using a 2.0 USB interface if you are looking for a small setup. IF you want to track a lot at once later on, look into firewire interfaces like the FP10

Nice to see another e-drummer around here, what kit do you have?
Quote by KThxBai.
oh well i have a quadcore 4gb ram 7200rpm hdd. however with my zoom fx pedal i still get latency.

Dude... nice specs.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Quote by moody07747
the thing about USB interfaces is most are wired to mix down after you go above 2 inputs at one time.
I highly suggest using a 2.0 USB interface if you are looking for a small setup. IF you want to track a lot at once later on, look into firewire interfaces like the FP10

Nice to see another e-drummer around here, what kit do you have?

what do you mean sorry?

roland td12
what moody means is that the most you can get out of your TD-12 is a L/R stereo track If you're using a USB interface.

meaning, after you record and you find out certain parts of your kit are too loud (cymbals or a kick drum) then you won't be able to fix it afterwards until you redo the drumline.

of course, this depends a lot on the output options your TD-12 has (which i'm not completely clear on myself) So even if you have a firewire interface which can record to 10 seperate tracks at a time, it won't do you any good if you're just using the L/R output from the TD-12.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
what moody means is that the most you can get out of your TD-12 is a L/R stereo track If you're using a USB interface.

meaning, after you record and you find out certain parts of your kit are too loud (cymbals or a kick drum) then you won't be able to fix it afterwards until you redo the drumline.

of course, this depends a lot on the output options your TD-12 has (which i'm not completely clear on myself) So even if you have a firewire interface which can record to 10 seperate tracks at a time, it won't do you any good if you're just using the L/R output from the TD-12.

talking about

midi input and output on the drumkit

usb/firewire connection (and midi input obviously) on the interface.

so talking about midi here not audio.
oh ok, i didn't see anything about MIDI in the title or first post of the thread. a USB midi interface might be alright, apparently some can be finicky in setting up, but i've never had any experience with them myself however.

I think moody may have been under the impression that you were going to use the audio line out for the drums which is why he mentioned that you'd only be able to get a 2 track recording (stereo)
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Nice kit, most people tend to go with those lower priced e-kits. The Roland v-drums are the only way to go when it comes to the electrics IMO.

Yes with USB interfaces they do whats called "mixing down" meaning if you have an interface that takes 4 mics at one time, chances are it will mix every input down to a single stereo output so you cant add FX to one of those mics...

Some USB interfaces do not mix down but there's not many. Overall, firewire is the better choice to go with when looking into interfaces with more than two mono inputs.

As for e-drums, you could record with MIDI...That's what I do these days using a TD6V. You can trigger software like Toontrack EZDrummer (which sounds amazing IMO) or simply send data to the computer.

More info on MIDI and everything about recording in "Tweak's Guide" found in my sig.

As said above I didn't see anything about MIDI until now.
If you want to record using MIDI you will be fine with one of those USB/MIDI cables such as the EMU 1X1 however an interface that has audio and MIDI in one package is a nice thing to have. The EMU 0404 offers this feature and is a high speed 2.0 connection.
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 17, 2008,
you wouldnt get a very good quality signal from a module 1/4'' jack input i imagine. if anyone know do divulge the info!
To clear up the latency thing. For a USB connection your latency will be affected by the usb controller you have in your PC. I have read in NUMEROUS places that Texas Instruments makes the fastest most reliable usb controllers.

I can't verify any other claims except to say I have a TI usb controller and an M-Audio Fast Track Pro (USB 1.1) and I can record 2 tracks simultaneously without any noticeable latency.

Using a USB midi connection should be MORE than adequate for what you're doing. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any MIDI usb interface that would add a significant amount of latency. MIDI streams a very small amount of data. I would imagine latency for triggering MIDI on your PC would be affected more by the software, RAM, and CPU spped.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic