This one is for my fellow B52'ers out there, and anyone else that might have some advice for me...

Crank the preamps and lower the master or lower the preamps and crank the master??

I've had my B52 AT100 for about two weeks now and I'm still messing with the settings. In particular, the Gain levels, the Master volume, and the Pre-amp volumes. Right now, I've got my gain levels at about 8, the pre-amp volumes around 5, and the master around 3, 4 or 5. I like the tone a lot here for chugga chugga type metal (slipknot, killswitch, etc).

Another way that sounds OK to me is cranking those preamp volumes to about 8 or 9 and lowering the master but it sounds a little muddy and loses some dynamics...

I can't trust my ears anymore, I've been messing with this thing so much. Anyway, how are the rest of you treating this balance? Are you cranking your preamp volumes all the way and lowering the master or are you keeping them lower and cranking the master?

Thanks in advance.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
i have a marshall jcm2000 tsl60, but i was in the same kind of position as you.. i used to crank my pre's on the gain channels, and would have to turn the gain on the clean up fairly high, and it would distort a bit...but i find it sounds better with the pre's at noon, the clean gain down, so its nice and clean, and then i can get the master up further for some power amp break up...i really like it, u should give er a try.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
On my old JCM800, the only way to get any distortion was to crank the preamp to 10 and keep the master low, and even, then it didn't distort enough! Not true for the B52, however. It still gets pretty good distortion with the pre's at noon and the master at 3,4 or 5, but the gain levels need to be at 8 or 9 for it to sound searing.

Oh, and distortion pedals just muddy up the sound...
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Epiphone Embassy
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
Quote by sabbathu
On my old JCM800, the only way to get any distortion was to crank the preamp to 10 and keep the master low, and even, then it didn't distort enough! Not true for the B52, however. It still gets pretty good distortion with the pre's at noon and the master at 3,4 or 5, but the gain levels need to be at 8 or 9 for it to sound searing.

Oh, and distortion pedals just muddy up the sound...

Not always, I actually use my Bad Monkey OD to give it a little tighter low end.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
Not always, I actually use my Bad Monkey OD to give it a little tighter low end.

Maybe I haven't used the right pedal or correct settings...

Where do you like your pre's, master, and gain levels, Mark?
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Epiphone Embassy
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
i own the at-100
ive been cranking the pre-
and lowering the master, but recently ive been doing the opposite.
its a lot less muddy that way
but one thing i never change is the low res knob, that beast is never below 8 or 9
I've got the AT-212. I've been using it as follows: Gain about 6ish, preamp 10, master like 0.5 (lol this thing is my bedroom and is so damn loud). I also use a Bad Monkey OD with those settings. I might try some messing around with it later, like how you did it, lowering the preamps, raising gain and master volume just to see what it sounds like. I've using the same settings on it forever.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station