if you mean bands that use matrices and functions to make their music than i think 60daysofsilence...

if you mean fast technical playing then i think Fall of Troy or Protest the Hero...

could be wrong here, math rock can mean a lot of things without a band to go off of.
Quote by akimbros
if you mean bands that use matrices and functions to make their music than i think 60daysofsilence...

if you mean fast technical playing then i think Fall of Troy or Protest the Hero...

could be wrong here, math rock can mean a lot of things without a band to go off of.

The Fall of Troy and Protest The Hero are mathcore. I'm talking bands that use odd time signatures and the like.
Excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between this 'math rock' and 'mathcore'?
Terms and Conditions apply.
^Mathcore= math rock gone mad. ie, screamed vocals, more chaotic, etc.

Also, there's a 6 page thread in the alt/indie forum on math rock already.

And suggestions? I have huge list of about 150-200 math rock bands saved to my computer, I guess PM me if you want it (it's far too big to post).
Quote by cagnius
Excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between this 'math rock' and 'mathcore'?

Math rock is based off of compositions that use odd time signatures, weird syncopations, off timing chords, exotic scales, etc.

Mathcore is a genre that is chaotic and confusing (Like math). Weird effects, time signatures, and recording techniques are used. Mathcore also has breakdowns, which gives it the "-core" suffix.