Well I'm in this 'electro' group now, with half a dozen songs on my computer, so I need a laptop that won't fail me live and won't have any big latency issues.

At the moment I run ableton live 7 and reason 4, and I've found a moderately priced Dell D630

(http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_d630?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&l=uk&s=bsd)

Is this suitable???

Thanks

Oh I won't be running any guitars or microphones through it, maybe a cheap korg synth at some point in the future

Originally posted by Lorddrg7
If crap came in a package, it would probably be wrapped in this
well macbooks are the best for this kind of cr*p
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I don't have that kind of money at the moment, I'm able to get the D630 for £320, and i cant really go above £350

I would advise waiting then.

If you're gonna invest in something good and that does not suck,
then wait.

Don't rush.
I don't even shred
Quote by Nebjy

then wait.

Don't rush.

So the Dell isn't a good laptop?

Quote by Bidinski
So the Dell isn't a good laptop?

Its not that it isn't a bad laptop

i'm just saying, it'd suit you better in the long run to save up.

I've got a 500 dollar compaq and it's pretty nice (aside from having vista)
and I'm gona use it for obvious applications

but it's not built to make music
i gotta shape it.
I don't even shred
Quote by Bidinski

At the moment I run ableton live 7 and reason 4, and I've found a moderately priced Dell D630

(http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_d630?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&l=uk&s=bsd)

Is this suitable???

I will work great. It's got the right processor (Core2). Just make sure you select the fastest option and stuff it with as mush RAM as you can afford.

Also, you need an external sound card. Here's what I use and it works great. (I have a similar Dell by the way).

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Edirol-UA25-USB-Bus-Powered-Stereo-Audio-Interface?sku=705371

I sequence midi files that our band plays with live. Click on the RUSH covers link in my signature below and you can hear what it sounds like. The examples are ALL DELL with the sound card above and my guitars. (Drums, bass, synth...all Dell).

Edit: I only used SONAR LE for software.
Quote by Nebjy

then wait.

Don't rush.

This is crazy, if he doesnt want to spend more than £350 then dont reccomend a much more expensive computer. If you're running albelton then any windows machine with enough CPU and RAM will do the job absolutley fine, dont feel you need a mac. Infact some say for programmes like albeton a windows machine will like running that better.

But for suggestions, id advice against that dell as its a business computer, so soundcard might not be up to it. Look at the inspirons perhaps, but toshiba, HP also make good entertainment computers.
Quote by vitchb
This is crazy, if he doesnt want to spend more than £350 then dont reccomend a much more expensive computer. If you're running albelton then any windows machine with enough CPU and RAM will do the job absolutley fine, dont feel you need a mac. Infact some say for programmes like albeton a windows machine will like running that better.

But for suggestions, id advice against that dell as its a business computer, so soundcard might not be up to it. Look at the inspirons perhaps, but toshiba, HP also make good entertainment computers.

So if someone only has $300 and wants to buy an MG you are gonna tell people its wrong to recommend saving more money to buy something better?
Definitely not a Dell.
£350 won't get you much in the way of real solid music processing machinery.

Sony Vaio, perhaps.
HP, preferably not Compaqs.

Macs really are the best machines for this sort of thing, and the inherent reliability is a plus, too.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
So if someone only has $300 and wants to buy an MG you are gonna tell people its wrong to recommend saving more money to buy something better?

Its totally different, that dell will run albeton just as well as a macbook pro will with the same power, so whats the point in over-spending. If he was runnig logic or protools, ok, save for a mac....
Quote by vitchb
Its totally different, that dell will run albeton just as well as a macbook pro will with the same power, so whats the point in over-spending. If he was runnig logic or protools, ok, save for a mac....

I just want to point out that he'd already have a mac if he were running logic.

But he's using Reason 4, as well. And that can be a huge memory hog....hence my mac recommendation.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
I just want to point out that he'd already have a mac if he were running logic.

But he's using Reason 4, as well. And that can be a huge memory hog....hence my mac recommendation.

Ok fair point on the logic thing.... but im only saying he should stick to what he can afford because, well for starters with dell you can get a crappy laptop and customize it so its a very powerful machine, i bet for not much more tht latitude (or insprion wud be better) could be a very capable workhorse for what he wants to do.
Quote by vitchb

I'm just speaking from personal experience - I've owned a few Dells and they've all been crap. I wouldn't recommend a Dell if it was the last computer on the planet.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I'm just speaking from personal experience - I've owned a few Dells and they've all been crap. I wouldn't recommend a Dell if it was the last computer on the planet.

Guess people have different experiences, all the dells i've owned/worked have been very nice to me. And at the computer refurbishment center i work at sometimes, its always the dells that work first time, and the others that need hours of fixing...
Quote by vitchb
Ok fair point on the logic thing.... but im only saying he should stick to what he can afford because, well for starters with dell you can get a crappy laptop and customize it so its a very powerful machine, i bet for not much more tht latitude (or insprion wud be better) could be a very capable workhorse for what he wants to do.

....you can put lipstick on a pig...

but it's still a pig.

Don't judge me.
the hardware is the same.... its not going to be very different at all. Apple still use intel CPU's, ram's all the same bacicly, sure, macs utilize their hardware more effectivly than windows machines, but thats not worth the extra £800 or whatever.

Bottom line, for his purposes, a dell machine WITH the extra power will be just fine for him, despite the fact that the expesnive mac may do it slightly better...
Quote by vitchb
the hardware is the same.... its not going to be very different at all. Apple still use intel CPU's, ram's all the same bacicly, sure, macs utilize their hardware more effectivly than windows machines, but thats not worth the extra £800 or whatever.

Bottom line, for his purposes, a dell machine WITH the extra power will be just fine for him, despite the fact that the expesnive mac may do it slightly better...

i just said that because i thought it was funny.

Macs use Intel CPUs custom designed for them (the latest editions).
Yeah, the RAM is the same.

But you hit the nail on the head. Macs are much much much more efficient than Dells, and the real value is in that and in the software. The reality is, if you were to comparably equip a Dell based on performance of add-ons to try and make it equal a Macbook Pro, it'd cost more. I've done it.

But that's all beside the point. A decent Dell will work fine (at least until it inevitably breaks) for his purposes. A mac would be better, but its out of the budget. Just make sure you get at least 2GB of ram (preferably more like 3 or 4) and at least a 200GB hard drive. And a 2-3GhZ processor.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
i just said that because i thought it was funny.

Macs use Intel CPUs custom designed for them (the latest editions).
Yeah, the RAM is the same.

But you hit the nail on the head. Macs are much much much more efficient than Dells, and the real value is in that and in the software. The reality is, if you were to comparably equip a Dell based on performance of add-ons to try and make it equal a Macbook Pro, it'd cost more. I've done it.

But that's all beside the point. A decent Dell will work fine (at least until it inevitably breaks) for his purposes. A mac would be better, but its out of the budget. Just make sure you get at least 2GB of ram (preferably more like 3 or 4) and at least a 200GB hard drive. And a 2-3GhZ processor.

Exactly.

But yea, if he decides to run vista (be careful, there isnt a SP2 yet) then 4gb is the sweetspot for that, my dell now has 4gb (got a 2 gb upgrade for £12 how bout that :P) and it perfroms nice and smoothly.