Hi everyone. I have a passive Geddy Lee Jazz bass, no money, and a craving for an active sound. Anyone have any ideas on making it sound like an active bass? I have equipment that can help (a Yamaha multi-fx with ridiculously editable presets, a Boss eq pedal, and a DBX compressor), I just want to know if anyone's gotten closer to an active sound or what eq bands or other things i can do (just boosting the gain maybe?) to pump up my sound.
the only you can do that i am aware of is puta preamp in it.
why do you wanna change your geddy lee anyways? they sound amazing!

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I was very underwhelmed by the sound of the Geddy Lee to be honest, I find the 2008 American Standards blow it out of the water totally in every avenue except asthetics.
get yourself an external preamp like a MXR M80 or Sansamp Bass Driver
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
sorry for the hijack, but what actually is the definition of active sound?
Quote by chernk

if you played both youd notice the difference, i havent however so i couldnt comment
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Either get a new preamp or use an external preamp. I have no idea why you;d want to change that beautiful passive bass anyways.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by chernk

ummm... go to the store. play a deluxe Fender, then a normal. the deluxe is active.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The jretro looks really nice, but if I were going to get a preamp I would probably go for the Aguilar Tone Hammer (assuming it starts appearing somewhere soon, it looks like bestbassgear has a few of them). I don't have money or a job, which puts a cramp in my style, but there are holidays soon.

As to why I want to change the sound, it's pretty good (ie doesn't sound like a crappy instrument), but I really would like a little more punch for funk. That said, it's great for blues and classic rock. Maybe I'll try some preamp models on the Yamaha and see how that goes.
Not to try and hijack the thread, but does anyone have experience with Audere Preamps? Their located a few hours from me and I'm thinking about getting one for my jazz.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Am idea could be saving up a bit and buying a John East JRETRO. It comes with the Jazz control plate, knobs and everything, is a pretty easy upgrade (no soldering as it has screw in connectors for the wires), and also has an active/passive switch.

great minds think alike. i saw the thread title and my first thought was J-RETRO
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by the humanity
ummm... go to the store. play a deluxe Fender, then a normal. the deluxe is active.

or dont play fenders at all
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
In fairness, "get a preamp" was the obvious answer, especially one that's easy to install.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Great minds think alike... too bad we're probably the exception that proves the rule, eh?

yeah you're right i'm a genius
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.