I know the range of tones offered by the PRS (specifically the Custom 22/24) are immense, as I have played one once, but only got around to playing some warm blues and jazzy stuff, so I was wondering how well they hold up for metal. Obviously they can, as bands like Opeth and Orphaned Land use them in their music, but how are their high and low ends? Are they good for doing lead work and chuggy rhythms for such stuff as black and death metal? Or even more sludgey style stuff (Open C, Drop C, Drop B, etc...)? I want to buy a versatile guitar that can give me the best of both worlds and was wondering how well you can crank the distortion on these puppies and let them rip (or let the destroy the world with heavy)

Thanks
Isnt the 513 more versatile? Correct me if I'm wrong but its a great guitar
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

i dont think they have the edge needed for death metal. thought i think they can pull of chuggy rythms i dont think they are taht good for lead like say jackson
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
I swear by the PRS Singlecut...I have 3 of them...one in standard, one in half step, and one in D standard....also drop tune all of them, so I get Drop D, drop Db, and Drop C.

I don't know how much there is to explain....let's just say, that over time, after getting my first singlecut, I've sold all my other guitars for more singlecuts.

Than should say enough. If you don't like the stock pups, drop some Suhr Aldrich pups in them and they RIP!
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
I swear by the PRS Singlecut...I have 3 of them...one in standard, one in half step, and one in D standard....also drop tune all of them, so I get Drop D, drop Db, and Drop C.

I don't know how much there is to explain....let's just say, that over time, after getting my first singlecut, I've sold all my other guitars for more singlecuts.

Than should say enough. If you don't like the stock pups, drop some Suhr Aldrich pups in them and they RIP!

O_O

holy shit, I hope to have 1 PRS someday
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

My style more focuses on Progressive Rock and Metal, but I write really sludgey stuff in Open C and Drop B, etc... The kind of stuff most people swear by Les Pauls for (Look at any sludge band ever, and you guarantee an LP in there somewhere) and because I have heard you get the best both both Strat and LP with the PRS, I was thinking that they may be good for that style of playing as well.

As far as the more death/black and core music goes, I was wondering if they have the balls behind them to be able to pull off some heavy and (for lack of a better word) Brutal leads (and power-chordage) or would it be better to just get a Jackson or something for when I wanted to play that stuff (would the PRS be able to pull it off nicely, is what I'm wondering)
I was always under the impression that PRS make some pretty good baritone guitars. So that answers your question on the lower tunings.
PRS pre april 1994 custom 24 that's how I roll. . . need to get one again, but eh, I'm broke, by the way, april 1994 is when they stopped handmaking them. . . now they use routers, changed the heel(made it thicker) and well, they are still nice, but not as nice as the older ones. . . as for low tone metal. . . cradle of filth, damnation and a day. . . .
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Opeth says hi.
Stromberg Montreux
Schecter Hellraiser 7 String
Mesa Boogie "Son of Boogie" 100W Head
Mesa Boogie 112 Cab with a Celestion Vintage 30
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Death By Audio Fuzz War

Talk to the guys from Daath, one of their guitar players plays a 22, not sure if its a standard or custom, but I know he uses a PRS with EMG's.