Like all serious players, im after the "perfect" tone. We all know it can be a long and expensive road. So, here I am in my quest...

I have epi les paul, and last night i just bought a crate v18 2x12. it should be here in a week or so. im also considering the 50's style wiring mod. are there any negative side effects of the mod? are there any other wiring mods out there i should consider? i would like to squeeze a bit more life out of the guitar before i spring for better pickups.

thanks!
My Rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honey Burst
Fender MIM Stratocaster Ash Natural
Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
"Jimmy Page" wiring would be awesome. 4 push/pull pots. Two coil taps, one for each pickup, a phase switcher, and a series/parallel switch, so you can have a massive 4-coil humbucker sound. I would definately do that. You might also want to wrap your strings around the tailpiece, and screw the tailpiece down to the body. Not much of a tonal mod, but definately improves feel.
Quote by qotsa1998
"Jimmy Page" wiring would be awesome. 4 push/pull pots. Two coil taps, one for each pickup, a phase switcher, and a series/parallel switch, so you can have a massive 4-coil humbucker sound. I would definately do that. You might also want to wrap your strings around the tailpiece, and screw the tailpiece down to the body. Not much of a tonal mod, but definately improves feel.

yes but you need 4 conductor wires on your pups and epi les pauls only come with 2 also holes need to be drilled and it would be a pain is the @$$ i know this because i tried on my epi les paul just go with 50's wiring or a independent volume wiring which means if you turn volume on neck pup off when you switch to middle position it will still run the bridge pup so you can mix your pickups to your liking or try 50's with independent volumes go here for diagrams http://dominocs.com/AshBassGuitar/ under gibson it should have independant Vols go there
i can only do the JP mod if my stock pickups have 4 wires, correct?

EDIT: thanks, ill check it out!
My Rig

Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
all humbuckers should have 4 wires. the other two are inside the pickup case to get to them you would have to take off the cover and seperate the wires. so you should be able to do these mods with your standard pickups
LP mod thingy

buy guitars please, need money for RGR420ex
Member No.18 of the 'Yes I am Irish and no more Leprechaun jokes please'
"Member #9 of the I Love Hayley Williams Club. PM Gibson_SG_uzr55 to Join"

this new bookmarks strategy of firefox 3 is helpful

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I developed a variation on the 50s wiring that I think sounds pretty good, you can certainly try it:

There's a super secret bonus feature wherein you put the pickup selector in the middle position, with all the knobs at 10, and when you turn the neck volume knob back and forth it sounds like a phaser.
The pickups in that epi are going to be your biggest issue, but rewiring can't hurt.
It's very important that you use the right capacitors for rewiring. The green ones in the diagram should be silver mica, and the blue ones should be Vitamin T or Mallory 150s. The cheap caps in your guitar are no good.
Last edited by Roc8995 at Sep 18, 2008,
wow, thanks for all the info guys. i expected to come home from work to find a dead thread. lol

im not done sorting through the schematics on AshBass yet.
My Rig

Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby