There are no Harmonic minor keys, only major and minor. If you know how to make chords using the major scale, apply that to the harmonic minor scale.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
I'm sure that a lot of people here could tell you a lot better than me, but honestly you can play a standard chord progression and the lead can still play harmonic over it. If you really want to actually play a chord progression using the harmonic scale then, I honestly don't know any off the top of my head. The trick is make the notes in the chord actually be in the harmonic scale that you are playing in. I know that wasn't much help, but it's something.
V-i.

Harmonic minor is simply a consequence of the use of a V chord in a minor key, which offers a stronger resolution. It is very rarely treated as a scale in its own right, but rather as a brief alteration of the minor scale.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
^ actually i use it as its own scale quite often. the vii dim - i , it sounds pretty strong of a resolution (to me at least) and creepy too. a good little movement i like is V- vii dim - ii dim - i
Quote by z4twenny
^ actually i use it as its own scale quite often. the vii dim - i , it sounds pretty strong of a resolution (to me at least) and creepy too. a good little movement i like is V- vii dim - ii dim - i
But do you use that almost as a turnaround in blues where you're mainly playing natural minor.

The common way to use harmonic minor is over the V7 chord. In the natural minor scale, the 5 chord is minor, but a major chord has a better resolution back to the i chord. A typical progression is Am G F E7. Solo over the first three chords with A natural minor, and solo over E7 with A harmonic minor.
What are songs constructed from the harmonic minor?Sorry for intruding,TS.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Broken-pick
"House of the Rising Sun" uses the V7 substitution I referenced, though it uses a few other substitutions as well.
Quote by Broken-pick

A song constructed with harmonic minor would just be considered "minor". Again, outside of popular music it's really only treated as an brief alteration to the minor scale, to the extent that the term minor is implied to contain a V chord, from which harmonic minor is just a by-product. In that sense, it is the foundation of very nearly all of jazz and classical harmony. You have to understand that songs are rarely composed "in" harmonic minor, and that the raised 7th is just a side effect of the use of a V chord, which offers a stronger resolution. Whether or not a raised seventh is used in the melody depends on many factors, and it is rarely as simple as "play harmonic minor over the V chord".
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Sep 18, 2008,
If you want a song as a reference, another one that uses the dominant V is Sultans of Swing by the Dire Straits. I'm pretty sure that the Stray Cat Strut does, too, by the Stray Cats. No more off the top of my head, though.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
If looking for an "Eastern" sound, I prefer to use Phrygian Dominant (which is either the Phrygian mode, with a raised 3rd, or the 5th mode of the Harmonic Minor scale).
This means you can have a darker sound with a major chord root - used in Spanish music a lot.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.