Page 1 of 2
Searched and didn't find anything relative so here it goes.

We all have our beliefs or views on the world and why we are here, etc. So what are some of your personal beliefs/takes/views on life that you have thought of?

You don't necessarily (sp?) have to believe in the idea or belief, just explain what could be possible.

-Heres an example that I see used a lot: [Our whole universe, which seems enormous, is actually just a small particle or atom that makes up a whole different world. In other words, our planet could be a tiny piece of dust in a much larger world]

Personally, I recently thought of this while I was stoned as hell: our life, our whole fate is one huge mathematical equation. Each action that we perform adds up to the final solution, the solution being our final fate. When I first came up with this idea I was smoking with some friends when one of them randomly shouted a number and forgot why he shouted it like that. We then realized that all of our ages added up equaled that number, and we kept finding these loopholes that all added up to that number coincidentally.

So what are some of your beliefs or views on the world and how life works?
Numerology is bullshit. Don't look into it too much.

edit:
I believe in the possibility that we are all part of a simulated reality. An advanced form of sentient AI.

But mostly I believe in what science has told us thus far. I only admit to such possibilities as part of my agnostic attitude.
http://www.spaceandmotion.com/Most-Simple-Scientific-Theory-Reality.htm

It's worth the long-ass read, if you really care about this kind of stuff. I thought it was awesome.

I've thought it would be cool if we were actually just extra-dimensional beings, and this was the ultimate virtual reality. When we died, we'd "wake up" wherever, and go "wow, that was cool! I actually believed I was a human!" I hope for something like that.
Last edited by Bluegryffin at Sep 17, 2008,
I think God put us all here to amuse himself. It's like we're a giant Sims game and he can set us on fire if he wants and watch us run around like idiots killing each other.
Philisophical Beliefs?...Its not what you believe in but if you believe in something.
HAVE A NICE DAY!
well I believe in nothing
but I think that guitar+friend+TrueLove = a good life
I don't need to know more =)
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Well not sure if its philosophical, I personally think that people should take their own takes on the Bible (whichever Bible you choose to read) and keep an open mind to opinions. The Bible has some great points, but then again it has its contradictions and outdated theories, so I personally think that you should read a bunch of them, and pick out a couple of things that you like out of each one, but keep an open mind and the things that make sense to you, make them your own personal little Bible, I just dont think that in this day and age, anyone should follow completely a 2000 year old story.
Well, to me it feels wrong to believe in a god or have a faith of any sort. Seems like you live for however long you are here for, piddle around, try and find a purpose (or not), feed your urges, then you die and no longer exist. Your body is either obliterated or just rots away but honestly thats the end of that. In general people whom Ive talked with want there to be an afterlife to see loved ones again, are afraid of death in general, want justice on people that are cruel, and maybe have the hope of something better than life on earth. Suit yourself, seems just like a way to cope with fear.
Quote by Bluegryffin

I've thought it would be cool if we were actually just extra-dimensional beings, and this was the ultimate virtual reality. When we died, we'd "wake up" wherever, and go "wow, that was cool! I actually believed I was a human!" I hope for something like that.

That would be so tight.
Butt, I'm not too sure right now. I want to lean towards a spiritual attitude, and the possibility of reincarnation, but I feel like we're also just evolved apes that are going to die like all other animals, and we should just 'be' instead of worrying about doing life right. While 'being' though, I believe in virtues I guess you'd say, karma, and dharma. I know the world is only an infinitely small particle in comparison with some of the mega-galaxies or universes or whatever they're called when-they-get-that-big. Which means its harder to believe that humans are 'special' or have much purpose in any way. We've come a long way from a geocentric universe
i think im just another small creature here on this giant spinning rock that has a short amount of time to live. there are lots of other creatures, here and in the galaxy. we all live, we all die. i think everything is a giant loop. ok, so, if everything has gravity, and pulls towards each other, eventually everything will come together in one mass. this will take an extraordinary amount of time. i cant stress EXTRAORDINARY enough. i think then, it will explode, and thats where we got our big bang theory. the big bang will happen over and over again into infinity. eventually, it will explode as it did before, and create a time loop, and everything thing that happened, and everyone that lived in the time during the time loop will be again, and the exact events will eventually lead it to exploding the same way again, and so on, into the infinites of time.
I try not to dwell on things like the "meaning of life." Just as when you listen to music, you do not wonder about the "meaning of music," but, rather, you listen to it. I've got a life, I intend to live it. I also like to believe that we are, in fact, reincarnated after death. In my mind, what happens is you are reincarnated until you have filled basically every type of roll. Rich, poor, black, white, killer, victim, man, woman..etc. Once you have lived through all of these, you move onto some sort of afterlife. It has no proof or anything, but in my mind, it explains just about everything.
I believe in a superior Universal force that is neither benevolent or malevolent. It simply exists, yet it doesn't. Not in our definition of existance, anyhow.

I believe in an interconnected universe, in which all beings are one with each other. I believe that the power of our mind can affect the very reality which surronds us. Everything can be defined in terms of energy. Our minds thoughts can be defined in terms of energy. I think the energy of our mind is an extremely powerful force.

I recommend meditation to any, and all of you.
im a Christian but not a hater like a disturbing number of christians ive seen. i believe what Jesus taught, God loves everyone, God wants us to love everyone and obey him.
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
I don't feel like explaining it at the moment, but basically, I'm a christian. I'm open-minded about it, but not to the point where I let it change my beliefs just to make other people happy. Like for example I guess, I believe that being gay is morally wrong, but I'm sort of friends with a girl that's gay. I don't tell people that what they're doing is wrong unless they ask me what I think about it.

I also love metal, and think that most (not all) christian music sucks. Anal C*nt are by far the most inspiring band to me. I can be a somewhat conservative christian without being a dick about it.
Quote by frottage
I don't feel like explaining it at the moment, but basically, I'm a christian. I'm open-minded about it, but not to the point where I let it change my beliefs just to make other people happy. Like for example I guess, I believe that being gay is morally wrong, but I'm sort of friends with a girl that's gay. I don't tell people that what they're doing is wrong unless they ask me what I think about it.

I also love metal, and think that most (not all) christian music sucks. Anal C*nt are by far the most inspiring band to me. I can be a somewhat conservative christian without being a dick about it.

your like me except for anal c*nt; never listened to them.
Emerse your soul in love

Quote by heavyairship
your like me except for anal c*nt; never listened to them.

Screw their music, just look up the lyrics.

I'd post them here, but I might get banned or something. Some good songs are "Domestic Violence Is Really Really Funny", "Ha ha Holocaust", and "I Sent a Thank You Card to the Guy Who Raped You".

Sorry if they're offensive, but I don't get offended easily, and I think it's hilarious.
Zeitgeist is a bunch of bullshit. It's funny how conspiracy theorists think they know what's really going on, yet they blindly believe everything they're told in that stupid movie, when most of it is obviously a lie.
Quote by reelbigfish2020
christians, may i highly recommend http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

hahaha. i remember when everyone thought that movie was the ish because they BLINDLY ACCEPTED IT with no real inquiry of their own (sound like a familiar accusation) and then when they realized the first part was total BS it fell out of favor. the movie cites sources for people who don't cite sources.

and if that wasn't enough, the next two parts are totally ludicrous. atheists just liked to glorify the first third of it as if it was a nugget of truth in a barrel of bullshit because it was something they could use against christians. if 2/3 of it is crap. the other 1/3 is probably crap too.
#DTWD
Quote by reelbigfish2020

saw it. they probably should have found out what christians actually believe before they made it.
Emerse your soul in love

Meh, I have a bunch of weird philosophical thoughts, but I'm kinda too lazy to list a bunch of them.

But basically, I kinda follow the "the only wisdom is knowing you know nothing" belief. I believe that a christian god creating our world is as likely as a composite mosquito/elephant bacterium creating our world. I believe it's possible that I am the only real being on earth and all of you are just figments of my imagination. I believe that it's possible that we are all just one entity seperated my physical bodies. Etc, etc, etc.

I'm very against organized religion, but I try not to be an anal prick as long as the person isn't forcing his/her beliefs, or trying to state stuff like "JESUS DIIIIED FER YOOU" as fact. If they say "I believe that jesus died for our sins, and god created us all", I won't mind. Opinions are opinions, it's stupid for atheists (like me) stating "god is not real" as fact, christians stating "god is real" as fact, etc, etc. I personally think humanity needs to get along with each other. Life is simply too short to be getting all anal about other's religions/beliefs.
I believe in God...or some higher being similar to that. Technically i'm a Catholic.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Eric 666
Well not sure if its philosophical, I personally think that people should take their own takes on the Bible (whichever Bible you choose to read) and keep an open mind to opinions. The Bible has some great points, but then again it has its contradictions and outdated theories, so I personally think that you should read a bunch of them, and pick out a couple of things that you like out of each one, but keep an open mind and the things that make sense to you, make them your own personal little Bible, I just dont think that in this day and age, anyone should follow completely a 2000 year old story.

...Ever heard of other religious texts? Just saying, you could pick and choose any other book and find what you see as moral in there.

Better yet, just take a logical approach on each individual moral issue in society today. What you have after that is the most clean-cut and true set of morals that are going to fit you.
Quote by frottage
Zeitgeist is a bunch of bullshit. It's funny how conspiracy theorists think they know what's really going on, yet they blindly believe everything
they're told in that stupid movie, when most of it is obviously a lie.

everything has its sources. the only criticism the sources have received is some of it is not extremely specific, and just cites more generally. as far as i know, none of the sources have been proven to be just a lie, and i have researched into it a bit. not actually checking the sources, because i dont have that kind of time, knowledge, or resources, but i looked into other people that have been checking out the citations. im not going to try to argue anything, im supporting a piece of text that has written citations and you just say its obviously a lie. show me some citations that you have found to be wrong, and you'll argument will hold up some. claims based on nothing just make you seem prejudiced or closed minded, unable to be shown or accept certain truths or ideas no matter how they are presented.
Hmm, nice thread.

I guess some of my philosophical views are pretty basic. I believe that everyone should grasp and utilize the freedom they have. I believe that you're not gunna get anywhere with your life unless you aspire for something, and have something to look forward to obtaining later in life. I believe that counseling isn't just for the crazy people, and it could help ANYONE who doesnt regularly talk to a counselor. I believe that dudes look ridiculous with earings, or fashionably colored scarves.

It's wierd thinking about my beliefs on my own, cuz they normally just spurt out when I'm debating with friends. Ask me questions, and if i hate the question enough, my opinions might come out lol.
We are just a convenient series of countless chemical reactions and molecular bonds that will eventually dissipate once our feeble bodies loose the ability to maintain themselves. Therefore, your short time in this life should be spent doing something that doesn't suck. Also stemming from this logic is the basic human equality mumbo jumbo and the idea that we should just be nicer to each other so we can be happier.

I can't believe in any sort of God, cosmic being, or supernatural sentience until empirical evidence is given. Faith=/=Knowledge.

Also, anything is possible with enough time and space.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Whatever you believe is your reality.

I personally believe that all this world is an illusion. It is merely a reflection of our own consciousness (+1 e-cookie to whoever gets that reference). Our ego is what binds us to this world. Our want of worldy things like wealth, fame, a person to spend the rest of our lives with. We are so enthralled with this world that we perceive it to be 'real'.

I believe in the law of Karma, and that every individual is responsible for whatever state they are in and can actively change that state for better or worse. Forgiveness is not to be sought from the outside, but from within. As with peace and love.

Everyone has happy and sad phases. I also believe in reincarnation. And thusly, the cycle of suffering and joy continues.

Most people actively search out 'happiness'. That should not be the main goal. No one can hope to be happy all theladir lives. Strive for what you make something of yourself, to gain knowledge and aim to achieve your dreams. Happiness comes along with that.

I also believe that once we leave this materialistic world, we begin to see life for what it is. Life does not start when a child is born, it is like an ever flowing stream, it is merely one entity which we are part of. And it is this life that is infact superior being which many people consider 'God'.

At a certain point, all souls (yes, I believe in the theory of souls) must seek freedom from this cycle of brith and death. To just leave this tainted society which man has created to control one another and seek the truth.

I know my philosophies are starkly similar to those of Gautama Buddha, and honestly I had no idea 'till recently when I was curious about Buddhism and check their theories and philosophies out and was mildly surprised when I saw that they were almost an exact match with mine.

But in the end, it is up to the individual. Whichever path you chose. Everyone knows right from wrong, so choose the right path and put all your heart into following it.

But that's just me, so yeah.
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
Quote by toolfan91
Our whole universe, which seems enormous, is actually just a small particle or atom that makes up a whole different world. In other words, our planet could be a tiny piece of dust in a much larger world

These guys beat you to it, sorry.

edit:

Quote by reelbigfish2020

I am not a huge fan of personal attacks, but anyone who is captivated by that "documentary" is a sheep.
I believe in lots of different gods but in a sort of "representational" way rather than actual GODS,

I believe the god monotheists believe in is actually a kind of alter ego because the whole universe is made up entirely of ones own perception, therefore a god of everything is just another view of themselves.
Quote by reelbigfish2020
everything has its sources. the only criticism the sources have received is some of it is not extremely specific, and just cites more generally. as far as i know, none of the sources have been proven to be just a lie, and i have researched into it a bit. not actually checking the sources, because i dont have that kind of time, knowledge, or resources, but i looked into other people that have been checking out the citations. im not going to try to argue anything, im supporting a piece of text that has written citations and you just say its obviously a lie. show me some citations that you have found to be wrong, and you'll argument will hold up some. claims based on nothing just make you seem prejudiced or closed minded, unable to be shown or accept certain truths or ideas no matter how they are presented.

http://www.tektonics.org/copycat/copycathub.html
http://www.thedevineevidence.com/jesus_similarities.html
http://kingdavid8.com/Copycat/Home.html
http://www.tektonics.org/copycat/osy.html
http://kingdavid8.com/Copycat/JesusVirishna.html

most of this BS is ripped from acharya s who has the scholastic merit of a cryptozoologist. i do particularly like leedom's virishna part, he realized the rest of the comparisons were totally BS so he just invented his own ancient god. then you've got gerald massey on the list who liked to compare egyptian myths with judeo-christian myths. it's helpful to know that this guy was a 'self-taught' egyptologist. absolutely none of his 'research' into this area is given any credence in modern egyptology. he has absolutely no merit.

so yeah. zeitgeist has sources. but they might as well have cited dr. seuss.
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Sep 19, 2008,
Have any of you ever tryed to think of yourself,as not existing(like when you die).No thoughts or anything,just vast darkness of nothing at all.I cant imagine it...it is impossible for me to even think.
i would love to beleive that there is some higher purpose, in fact i would love to be wrong, but i honestly beleive we arre glorified ants, there is no god, there is no being watching over us whos gonna make it all better, were just a chemical absurdity.

when i was younger i used to be scared at the idea that there would be no heaven, and that when i die id just cease to be, but now ive kind of come to terms with it, and i guess it makes my life better, cos im not worrying about an afterlife or anything, im living for life, not in fear of death, in fact the only things i fear about death is the pain of it, and the idea of my friends and relatives grief.
nothing.
Quote by reelbigfish2020

Well, first of all, I'm going to admit that I've only seen like the first five minutes of the movie. So I don't really have the right to voice an opinion on it. I've just read a few articles, and the Wikipedia article on it, so yeah. I truly don't buy into that stuff though. I'll admit that all of the stuff in the movie is possible, but I just don't believe it.

Some other dude posted some links though, so he saved me.
Page 1 of 2