I don't mean to sound like a whiner, but over the past year or so I have been finding myself more and more awkward socially. I find that my sense of humor (people always used to tell me that I was a funny guy) has gone out the window and I never seem to know what to say or be able to joke around with friends or even find anything humorous.... I don't think I have really laughed in over six months or more. I find myself drifting away from friends and cannot make new ones... I even feel awkward and anxious around my own parents! It's hard to explain, but I just can't seem to connect with people anymore.... has ANYBODY ever felt like this or has these problems? Once again, I don't mean to whine or ramble on about something nobody cares about but I just don't know what to do or who to turn to...... you know what I mean?
Quote by slapfunk_101
I don't mean to sound like a whiner, but over the past year or so I have been finding myself more and more awkward socially. I find that my sense of humor (people always used to tell me that I was a funny guy) has gone out the window and I never seem to know what to say or be able to joke around with friends or even find anything humorous.... I don't think I have really laughed in over six months or more. I find myself drifting away from friends and cannot make new ones... I even feel awkward and anxious around my own parents! It's hard to explain, but I just can't seem to connect with people anymore.... has ANYBODY ever felt like this or has these problems? Once again, I don't mean to whine or ramble on about something nobody cares about but I just don't know what to do or who to turn to...... you know what I mean?

Now this kids, is what we adults like to refer to as a classic case of adolescent puberty.
I feel like this sometimes. But I just try to not panic or anything and everything floats on.
its the opposite for me. ask a close friend if theyve noticed anything different. have your views changed any? do you feel less caring, or as if things dont matter as much?
i dont mean to sound like a prick, but maybe you need to start growing up.

or maybey its a positive thing and your growing up faster than everyone else around you. either way just wait it out, and it'll get better
^I S*** you not compadre!

Quote by Explorerpro
You Sir, Are Made Of Win.

Quote by El Hilliaro
Wow TS, this is a seriously great, original idea.

Anyway, I'm off, for some reason I have the strongest urge to listen to The Ramones.
I feel kind of the same way. I used to be able to meet people for the first time and instantly connect, but nowadays I feel kind of shy and timid.
Peace.
You sound depressed, go see a psychiatrist, they'll hear your problems and give you pills...great people those psychiatrists.
I felt that way, but now I look at the world in a brighter point of view. Besides the dark place known as the pit. This is my addiction.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
I've been going through almost the exact same thing. It's actually kinda weird reading what you wrote since I relate to it so much.
www.youtube.com/jordan123x
Quote by david_highland
You sound depressed, go see a psychiatrist, they'll hear your problems and give you pills...great people those psychiatrists.

im on prozac and seroquel.

i still have no idea if it did anything. alli know is seroquel makes me unconscious roughly 20 min after i take it.
Quote by Ass_Goblin
its the opposite for me. ask a close friend if theyve noticed anything different. have your views changed any? do you feel less caring, or as if things dont matter as much?

My views havn't changed really, but I do feel less caring... kind of detached if you know what I mean.
And as for the puberty thing, I'm 21 going on 22.... I doubt it's puberty.... and as for growing up, that's not something I can just do on a whim. I consider myself a relatively mature guy, and remember, I used to be much better in social situations.... now I just feel anxious and awkward. I try to act like my old self and i doesn't work, so I try to just be natural and let things flow and I just crash and burn.
I've changed too. Into quite the ladies man. The ladies love em some SoyJoy.
Dude the exact same thing happened to me... then I just realized that the people I was around kinda suck, so I went back to my roots and got better friends. ^.^
I only have three or four real friends, just two that I hang out with. I just faced it a while ago that I don't make friends or socialize well with other people. Idk, but it just seems like if you face that, you'll be happier. I'm happier. I don't try to fit in anymore or anything like that, I kind of just don't talk to anyone at school a whole lot, since my two friends are in college.

EDIT: I guess people just have to be the right kind to get along with you. I just can't talk to most people, even if I've known them for a really long time, but one of my two best friends I've only known for like two years, and I'm really tight with him. I guess it's just that we both love guitar, video games, metal, and interwebz humor like SHOOP DA WHOOP and the lolwut pear, so yeah. It seems like the only people I really talk to are people who have an interwebz sense of humor.

Last edited by frottage at Sep 17, 2008,
kinda same feeling right now.. but for me it's kinda worse.. I got the same feeling as yours and I also feel like everyone hates me for no reason.. and they just like me when they need something from me
Honest to god the pills only help for a little bit, but do not solve the problem. I got sent to Narcotics Anonymous cause I really liked coping with opiates an shit but It never solved my problems. I dunno I got through it by myself by just going "**** it" and got off the pills and decided to cope better. You cant rely on others to make you happy. I am able to deal with my problems and Im not much of a social guy but I have plenty of friends. Life has its ups and downs but Im sure youll be alright.
heres socially awkward

i met this guy that had the same lab as me
he introduced himself
him : my names hiro by the way
me: haha hiro from heroes?
him : no

dead silence.

i saved mysself though saying ihad just watched it ten mintues before and it was in my head
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Yeah man, I've been there. My problem was (and still is) figuring out what I wanted to do with myself. I started to drift from people because they were in a comfortable situation in life and I was no longer satisfied. I guess I just wanted more and because I was so focused on figuring out what it was I started to lose the ability to interact with those closest to me.

I don't know if your situation is at all similar but that was what happened to me. I hope things get better dude.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
i know how it is, i was socially awkward my whole life then i turned 17 nd started workin out nd got buff nd all secksy nd my self esteem went ^^^^^^ nd that was the funnest year of my life nd then it all went back to normal lol like im not awkward but i just dont see myself as being fun to be around. but yeah the less you think about it the less itll bother you. just preoccupy yourself
I know how you feel, sometimes i stumble on my words and i feel like a complete asshat. And about joking around, I used to be making all the jokes and funny conversations. But now I find I don't say as much and I'm more of a one-liner guy now. Whatever, if you feel like people judge you unfairly for that shit, you need to hang around better people.
Im exactly the same way actually. I feel like i used to be that funny guy now im reclusive and non social.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
i go through phases like that once and a while and i found that i needed to just do things whether it was with friends or family. as corney as it sounds, just talking with them about how you're feeling really helps
im the same age btw, if that helps ya
~ Purchase your tickets; I'm kicking your crosses down ~
Quote by stratguy335
Now this kids, is what we adults like to refer to as a classic case of adolescent puberty.

win

you'll get over it man. Same happened to me, got rough then one day I woke up normal again, roughly around the same time I started getting regular sex.
try sex
it's healing.

edit: this is the first time I've seen the pit genuinely sincire.
it's touching, really.
Last edited by GaijinFoot at Sep 17, 2008,
Quote by thomaserak
go kill yourself.

what a cool guy.......

any way,im feeling pretty much the same way aye.
its hurting my relationship and i dont realy know whats going on with anything.
at 22 i hope its not me still going through puberty.
has there been any big events happend to you at all?
The more you worry and fret and obsess about it, the worse its going to get dude. I hit a little patch like that, from where I went to the most comfortable guy (socially) you could meet to one of the most nervous, awkward bumbling nerds you could ever meet. The second I stopped freaking is the second I went back to normal.

Quote by dragen_slair
Suicide...its the only way...i did it...and im fine now.

You fail at being funny with your post as you fail at being cool with your icon.

I don't appreciate suicide being taken lightly.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
Last edited by Pysmone at Sep 18, 2008,
Jeez, I have so much in common with you guys in terms of life problems, it's kinda creepy.
Quote by Pysmone
The more you worry and fret and obsess about it, the worse its going to get dude. I hit a little patch like that, from where I went to the most comfortable guy (socially) you could meet to one of the most nervous, awkward bumbling nerds you could ever meet. The second I stopped freaking is the second I went back to normal.

You fail at being funny with your post as you fail at being cool with your icon.

I don't appreciate suicide being taken lightly.

I get the suicide thing, one of my best friends committed suicide 2 months ago. People have their own way to deal with things, mine: i find humor in things that shouldnt be funny....

As for the icon....Im an idiot and cant figure out how to f*cking change it...
When I was 17 I was a social person. But after I turned 18 I started getting the exact same problems as you TS. I am now 20 and my problems are worse than ever.
I’m going to start auditioning for bands just so I can meet new people.
Quote by dragen_slair
I get the suicide thing, one of my best friends committed suicide 2 months ago. People have their own way to deal with things, mine: i find humor in things that shouldnt be funny....

As for the icon....Im an idiot and cant figure out how to f*cking change it...

Understandable on both accounts. My apologies for any d-baggery on my part.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
here is the solution to your problems, should you smoke weed, stop smoking weed, should you not be a weed smoker, start smoking weed

all of your problems are fixed
WHY DON'T YOU CONSULT EROWID FIRST?
Quote by doggy_hat
It's sad how the love drug is corrupted with so much bullshit