Page 1 of 4
History for example. When in my life is a battle that happened 2000 years ago in some shit-splat town in Spain going to help me?

I don't get it.
You have to know where you have been to know where you are going.

History is a valuable tool.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by Final !mpact
History for example. When in my life is a battle that happened 2000 years ago in some shit-splat town in Spain going to help me?

I don't get it.

i found shit-splat to be immensley hilarious....

Let the wind carry you home, Blackbird fly away, May you never be broken again

NOW YOUR NIGHTMARE COMES TO LIFE
This topic would've turned out better if you had asked about quantum physics instead of historical events.

Really.
Quote by Empathica1928
This topic would've turned out better if you had asked about quantum physics instead of historical events.

Really.

I agree with this statement
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

History is one of the most important subjects for the general population to learn about.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Because we all need to know that the French are terrible at fighting. That way when we get into arguements with them (as we frequently do) we know we can kick their asses.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Quote by Empathica1928

Really.

Because believe it or not, some people actually are capable of doing quantum physics. If you don't like a course, don't take it, easy as that.

oh that is great!

"'Evil men have no songs.' How is it that the Russians have songs?"
History is strongly tied to the cultures of many countries. Knowing about the history of a place or person helps us understand that person or place in a much better way. Also, most history classes also incorporate current events, which are obviously important.
The more you know about history the more you know about the world.
Death Cube K

Quote by primusfan
i know an old lady who supports abortion because it's generally low-class black women getting it performed and for her the less inner-city black kids (or blacks in general) there are, the better.

Oh Damn
Quote by Final !mpact

I don't get it.

Because Historians have a very good skill of analysing. Most Government agencies like FBI and CIA pick up recruits from history classes.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
quantum mechanics will help us more than most anything in the world.
Quote by Preid
plants are basicly sex organs on stems, pollen is airbourn jizzum.

So all us hayfever suffers are allergic to plant jizz...
why do you hate history? its one of my favorite subjects. Its all memorization, you dont have to apply anything like that stupid subject known as math.
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
The better question is, what kinda math are they teaching kids nowadays? People will NEVER use this shit unless they want to major in it, in that case you let them learn it at school. Math should be STANDARD stuff you need in life. I can read a diagram, I know my multiplications table, I know volume and that shit... leave me the **** alone with your little pointless theories.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Quote by freedoms_stain
We learn from the mistakes of the past.

Took the words right out of my mouth. That's two threads in a row.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Chicks dig smart guys, a guy that knows something about some random ass battle in 1812 looks like a smart guy, bam! you get laid, because you learned history, same with art and poetry guys, they aren't gay if they are used for the right reasons!

Edit: 1812 was the first year that came to my mind, it wasnt because we "kicked ass" or its "the only way we did anything in" (damn uniformed people)

Currently Canadian soldiers in Afganistan are fighting in the most war torn parts, due to the fact that we have the courage to take the high danger areas, Jokes about the Canadian Military will soon be abolished
Last edited by Cockpuncher 2.0 at Sep 17, 2008,
Quote by Cockpuncher 2.0
Chicks dig smart guys, a guy that knows something about some random ass battle in 1812 looks like a smart guy, bam! you get laid, because you learned history, same with art and poetry guys, they aren't gay if they are used for the right reasons!

1812 eh??

The war you can ask almost any male Canadian about and they will be more than happy to tell you what happened.
I honestly think Canadian history should have about 3 years worth of material covering strictly 1812 and how kickass we were.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
the school system isnt based around you. subjects are there to provide a variety of skills neccessary for almost everyjob. now think about if you just had math as a subject and thats all you learned, you wouldnt know about anything else and if you did, you surely wouldnt have the education to become somethig you wanna be. it is to spark the interests of as many kids, you might not like history, but the kid beside you may want to become a historian and focus his life to that battle
its not about you. deal.

edit. i used to think the same way you did and if i wasnt introduced to history i wouldnt have found archaeology so interesting.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Quote by Jericho114
1812 eh??

The war you can ask almost any male Canadian about and they will be more than happy to tell you what happened.
I honestly think Canadian history should have about 3 years worth of material covering strictly 1812 and how kickass we were.

Well yea that and it is the only thing that you ever did anything that mattered. Not that it really mattered but well was close...
Quote by elekguit
The better question is, what kinda math are they teaching kids nowadays? People will NEVER use this shit unless they want to major in it, in that case you let them learn it at school. Math should be STANDARD stuff you need in life. I can read a diagram, I know my multiplications table, I know volume and that shit... leave me the **** alone with your little pointless theories.

Thinking about and proving/dealing with/reasoning through complex theories (whether you deem them pointless or not) helps one think more logically, helps one gain problem-solving skills, and if I remember right, has been statistically shown to increase brain activity.
Quote by HighPotency
Yeah and it works really well

Passing on information is one of the scant differences that seperates us from lesser species.

Whether you believe it or not learning history can have the effect of passing on wisdom.
This reminds me of yesterday when somebody asked me if the French had ever won a war (we were talking about the French revolution and Louis XIV - XVI).

She couldn't think of a single war off the top of her head.
Quote by HighPotency
Yeah and it works really well

+1

The human race is doomed to repeat itself, regardless...

But I personally find history quite interesting
------------------------------------------------------- ~ UG's Nirvana Fangirl ~ -------------------------------------------------------

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
P.E is pretty damn pointless. If they cut the funding for it, we could probably get nicer school materials i.e more string instruments, nicer books, better desks, etc.

I'm talking about P.E where you just half-ass playing sports, not learning about the body and stuff, btw.
Quote by ViperScale
Well yea that and it is the only thing that you ever did anything that mattered. Not that it really mattered but well was close...

*cough* Vimy Ridge *cough*
Quote by InvaderTSN
P.E is pretty damn pointless. If they cut the funding for it, we could probably get nicer school materials i.e more string instruments, nicer books, better desks, etc.

I'm talking about P.E where you just half-ass playing sports, not learning about the body and stuff, btw.

Oh yeah, I'm a junior in highschool and i'm stuck with another semester of pe (dont ask...) and half the class we just sit on the gym floor waiting for the coach to quit talking to fellow coaches.

It's fine by me because I personally dont need the exercise, I exercise daily by playing sports with friends, yet i'm stuck playing kickball or football with a half flat football (literally)

I guess its good for the obese/unhealthy kid, but I see no reason people who stay in shape need it...
Quote by Jeremy Clark
Oh yeah, I'm a junior in highschool and i'm stuck with another semester of pe (dont ask...) and half the class we just sit on the gym floor waiting for the coach to quit talking to fellow coaches.

It's fine by me because I personally dont need the exercise, I exercise daily by playing sports with friends, yet i'm stuck playing kickball or football with a half flat football (literally)

I guess its good for the obese/unhealthy kid, but I see no reason people who stay in shape need it...

It's pretty useless. I doubt the obese/unhealthy kids would quit their habits and get into shape through P.E. It's more or less a nuisance for them. The money could really help the other school departments.

For example, the orchestra program at our school gets roughly $400-500 in funding a year, and this year, we're short 3 string basses. The money taken from P.E could probably get us those basses.
studies have shown that people who dont study history are hitler.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by jansa33
Those who do not remember the past are condemned to vote republican

fix'd. I saw that on a bumper sticker the other day. I lol'd hard
and also it gives you knowledge and chicks dig that

"the .44 magnum is the most powerful handgun in the world, except for the one in my pants"

"they say Helen of Troy had the face that launched a thousand ships, i say you have the face that launched a thousand sperm into my boxer shorts"

"im going to **** you dry and eat your pussy' its a famous quote by Ben Franklin"
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by Fuzzbox91

"the .44 magnum is the most powerful handgun in the world, except for the one in my pants"

"they say Helen of Troy had the face that launched a thousand ships, i say you have the face that launched a thousand sperm into my boxer shorts"

"im going to **** you dry and eat your pussy' its a famous quote by Ben Franklin"

Amazing
Quote by Fuzzbox91

This too long story short, history=chicks
Quote by jxmxaxn
why do you hate history? its one of my favorite subjects. Its all memorization, you dont have to apply anything like that stupid subject known as math.

you could have started that same thing with "why DON'T..." The logic and applying all that in Math/Science is what i like about those classes. People have different opinions, and maybe you do learn from others mistakes, but learning about hundreds of years ago doesn't appeal to me. At all.

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Page 1 of 4