Alright, Ive been playing guitar for about 2 and a half months (Epiphone Les Paul 100, great guitar!) and I'm wondering if Im ready to take the next step to learning intermediate guitar stuff. I can currently play all the open chords, most barre chords, and most power chords. The songs that I can play are: Jessica, Sweet Child O Mine (minus solo), One (minus the second solo and last solo) and a variety of bits and pieces from other songs. I just want some opinion as to whether or not I should take the next step in guitar, or keep working on beginner technique. Thanks!
ya its important to learn all the fundamentals, but at the same time you should always be trying to play something above your level. mix it up a little bit you know. dont get pigeon-holed into one thing. thats whats sick about music, you can jump around into lots of different aspects of it at once. always be looking for something new
Can you play the song so it sounds like the recording, or just the notes? Does it sound like Greg Allman, or like some kid impersonating Greg Allman at a bad karoke? Don't take those as insults, but I've met so many guitarists who "know" songs but can't play them well. Frankly, maybe I'm wrong and you have em' down pat, but make sure you aren't stopping just because you've learned a sequence of notes. There's a big difference between the two.

Also, there are a lot of open chords. I mean a lot. Once again, make sure you aren't stopping because you think you know it all. Like arcticradiohead said, always be looking for somthing to learn, because there will always be somthing out there, especially in the case of things you think you know.

I'd say start learning scales and major chords to start with. As scales go, I'd reccomend starting with the Pentatonic Major and Minor, and the Blues scale. Also, learn Major and Minor barre chord shapes and get used to moving them around the fretboard. Also, there's a series of articles on the main U-G site called "The Crusade", it's all about theory and why you should know it. I'd suggest spending at least a week on each article, and practice all the exercises in each.

Sorry if I came off as abrasive, but I've met a lot of guitarists (myself included) who think they have somthing mastered when they're not even close, and they quit learning because they're conviced they "know it already". Always be open to the idea that there's somthing you haven't learned yet, because in most cases, as least as I've found it, there always is.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Can you play the song so it sounds like the recording, or just the notes? Does it sound like Greg Allman, or like some kid impersonating Greg Allman at a bad karoke? Don't take those as insults, but I've met so many guitarists who "know" songs but can't play them well. Frankly, maybe I'm wrong and you have em' down pat, but make sure you aren't stopping just because you've learned a sequence of notes. There's a big difference between the two.

Also, there are a lot of open chords. I mean a lot. Once again, make sure you aren't stopping because you think you know it all. Like arcticradiohead said, always be looking for somthing to learn, because there will always be somthing out there, especially in the case of things you think you know.

I'd say start learning scales and major chords to start with. As scales go, I'd reccomend starting with the Pentatonic Major and Minor, and the Blues scale. Also, learn Major and Minor barre chord shapes and get used to moving them around the fretboard. Also, there's a series of articles on the main U-G site called "The Crusade", it's all about theory and why you should know it. I'd suggest spending at least a week on each article, and practice all the exercises in each.

Sorry if I came off as abrasive, but I've met a lot of guitarists (myself included) who think they have somthing mastered when they're not even close, and they quit learning because they're conviced they "know it already". Always be open to the idea that there's somthing you haven't learned yet, because in most cases, as least as I've found it, there always is.

YES. Especially the first paragraph. If you can, please post some audios, or even videos of you playing those songs. Then we will be able to judge better. Also, was guitar hero your inspiration for picking up a real axe?
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS