I just checked on musician's friend to see Gibson guitars because I was thinking of getting a les paul studio when I find that EVERYTHING Gibson branded has gone up in price 200-400 US Dollars?!

I mean seriously Gibson... You kill the Les Paul, stop producing tons of guitars, and raise the prices? Fail.

/endrant
---▲===
Pink Floyd
Yeah. I love Gibson guitars but I'm disappointed and somewhat amazed at their business decisions over the last 10 or more years. Quality has not improved with the price increases.

I am seriously considering buying a Hagstrom, a Gretsch or a Reverend instead of a Gibson for my next guitar.
Aint it a shame? High end Epiphones are pretty much Gibson quality. Just without the name.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I'm only doing this because I'm bored, so...
Quote by Grimpenguin
You kill the Les Paul

The Les Paul isnt' dead. They still have a model called a Standard and if you don't like that there's the Traditional which is all the same specs as the Standards from the 00's, 90's and 80's. They should just called the 2008 Standard just the Standard becuse that's what it is. Sure it has a bunch of different specs as the Standard that came before it, but the Standard has always been a changing guitar. That's why there are reissue models, because Gibson is frequently changing the specs of their guitars, but they usually leave an alternative for those who want older modles.

stop producing tons of guitars.

Gibson is still making quite a few guitars and in all likelihood they're going to annouce some new models pretty soon. I remember reading someone saying that Gibson is probably going to come back with a lot of the same guitars, just with a PLEK setup being standard, which makes sense to me.

And the hilarious part to me is I've seen countless posts about people complaining that Gibson makes too many guitars and it has adverse effects on QC. Well now there making less guitars (for now) so now they have the chance to focus more on QC (which actually isn't nearly as bad as people love to bitch and moan about).

and raise the prices?

You act like Gibson is the only company to have done this. Just a couple of months ago the Ibanez RG1570 was like $750 and overnight it jumped to $900. Pretty much everyone's raising there prices, and that includes people outside the guitar world. The US dollar is weak and inflation sucks. Deal with it.
Last edited by T!AN at Sep 18, 2008,
I managed to grab an SG Faded for what I thought was a pretty decent deal with a hard shell case today. A few days ago, I noticed the prices had gone up, so I think I got pretty lucky with being able to lock in that deal.

Funny thing is I have another retailer near me that has the same deal locked in for me, and will hold it almost indefinitely until the guitar sells. If I had the money, I'd buy then resell it, but alas, I don't.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by T!AN
You act like Gibson is the only company to have done this. Just a couple of months ago the Ibanez RG1570 was like $750 and overnight it jumped to $900. Pretty much everyone's raising there prices, and that includes people outside the guitar world. The US dollar is weak and inflation sucks. Deal with it.

From an economics standpoint, that is exactly right. With the US dollar losing value against other currencies, it takes more US dollars to meet the same value.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll take that into consideration when discussing pricing. It will be especially important when dealing with guitars from companies that are based or producing in countries with currency strong against the dollar.

Gibson made many of their available guitars before the US economy started REALLY hurting so they're raising the prices to get the same sale value.

It makes complete sense - except to American consumers who aren't making any more dollars because the dollar doesn't buy as much as before.
Last edited by carpepax at Sep 18, 2008,
T!an, thank you for countering everything I said. I applaud you.

Anyways I've been fender all my life and when I decide to buy Gibson, all my luck craps out on me. So hence the rant.
---▲===
Pink Floyd