I bought an American Strat and it has a humbucker in the bridge position and i was thinking about putting Texas Special pup's in but, but the humbucker is wider than the single coils and I was wondering if it would pose a problem with the wider cut out. Thanks
umm of course it will cause a problem. to put a single coil in place of the humbucker you would need to buy a new pickguard and switch all the electronics to the new one and then wire it all back up. if you took this somewhere to get it done, i assume you would considering you experience, it could easily cost with price of parts included like $400. the manhours would stack up. trust me...DO NOT have this modification done on the strat.
SchecterC-1+\m/
Moded Jackson Js1
Moded Squier Bullet
Ibanez V series acoustic
Crate GX-140C\m/
Crate 4x12\m/
DigitechRP250Multi-effect
Boss Super Overdrive\m/
Boss Noise Supressor\m/
JimDunlupXtraHeavyPicks\m/
\m/=my live setup
Replacement Strat pickguards are under $50, any pickup combo or color you want. Google it and you'll find plenty of sources.

I would not try to mount a single-coil in a humbucker hole. That would be a Ghettocaster.
Quote by carpepax
Replacement Strat pickguards are under $50, any pickup combo or color you want. Google it and you'll find plenty of sources.

I would not try to mount a single-coil in a humbucker hole. That would be a Ghettocaster.

but the $50 replacements arent true fender parts. people buy American strats for the quality of the parts they use. if you believe you can get a true fender pickguard with all new electronics and p-ups then you are mistaken
SchecterC-1+\m/
Moded Jackson Js1
Moded Squier Bullet
Ibanez V series acoustic
Crate GX-140C\m/
Crate 4x12\m/
Boss Super Overdrive\m/
Boss Noise Supressor\m/
\m/=my live setup
umm on another note what kind of tone am i missing out on with the humbucker instead single coil in the bridge? or does someone have an example of a song where that pup is used?
hey actually i just had a much better idea that will fit you needs perfectly. im not sure but the humbuckers that come on amercan strats might come with the ability to be coil tapped. i did this to one of my guitars. depending on you soddering skills and comfort with some handy work you might be able to figure it out. but basically you wire the guitar up so it still has a humbucker but you install a push/pull knob in place of your standard volume knob and when you pull it up, the humbucker essentially becomes a single coil and when you push it down it returns to being a humbucker
SchecterC-1+\m/
Moded Jackson Js1
Moded Squier Bullet
Ibanez V series acoustic
Crate GX-140C\m/
Crate 4x12\m/
Boss Super Overdrive\m/
Boss Noise Supressor\m/
\m/=my live setup
So would that kind of be like the button you push in, (s9 switch, maybe?) but instead of getting a heavier humbucker sound you would get a single coil tone?
Quote by JacksonShred13
but the $50 replacements arent true fender parts. people buy American strats for the quality of the parts they use. if you believe you can get a true fender pickguard with all new electronics and p-ups then you are mistaken

I wasn't basing it on retaining "true Fenderism." I was only offering an alternative to mounting a single in a humbucker cutout.

Oh, and I was referring to just the pickguard. Electronics not included.

Sure, if you can get a true Fender guard to mount the replacement pickups in, that rocks. If not, go with the next best thing.
Last edited by carpepax at Sep 18, 2008,
yeah i just hate to see quality guitars butchered. and if you pay a grand or so for your guitar you should invest in quality parts to repair it. thats just my feeling though
SchecterC-1+\m/
Moded Jackson Js1
Moded Squier Bullet
Ibanez V series acoustic
Crate GX-140C\m/
Crate 4x12\m/
Boss Super Overdrive\m/
Boss Noise Supressor\m/
\m/=my live setup
Quote by jimmyslashpage
umm on another note what kind of tone am i missing out on with the humbucker instead single coil in the bridge? or does someone have an example of a song where that pup is used?

Sweet Home Alabama is a classic example of the bridge and middle pickups used together(switch position 2). I can't cite an example that is just the bridge pickup. Maybe some Iron Maiden solos.
you are gettting a heavier, meatier sound with the humbucker. a single coil generally has a cleaner, more natural and bluesy sound
SchecterC-1+\m/
Moded Jackson Js1
Moded Squier Bullet
Ibanez V series acoustic
Crate GX-140C\m/
Crate 4x12\m/
Boss Super Overdrive\m/
Boss Noise Supressor\m/
\m/=my live setup
if youre good at soldering and understand wiring guitars up, you could essentially have two guitars, have two pickguards and two sets of pickups and just solder them in when you think youll need the other setup
I tried to make a signature listing all my gear, but I couldn't for 2 reasons.

1. I couldn't remember all my gear
2. My signature was too long for UG to process.
yeah np. hey add me and then let me know what you end up deciding
SchecterC-1+\m/
Moded Jackson Js1
Moded Squier Bullet
Ibanez V series acoustic
Crate GX-140C\m/
Crate 4x12\m/
Boss Super Overdrive\m/
Boss Noise Supressor\m/
\m/=my live setup
I'll add you but I'm sure it will by awhile before I make a decision because before I do anything with my pups, i need a new amp........... I have an MG 10

also I dont have soldering skills lol