A guy want's to trade me a 1979 50Watt Marshall JMP head for my Orange AD30 head. I'm not very familiar with Marshalls or their variations of amps and this is all the info the guy gave me. If I like the tone is it still an even trade for resale value?
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
Well what kind of music do you play?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
general range would be led zeppelin, nirvana, foo fighters.
He didn't give the exact model he just said a 1979 50w JMP
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Well that should really get you the Zep sound dead on, I think. Not positive about the other two.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I'm guessing it's a 2203 then, cause that was Marshalls latest at that time and 1987 production was kind of waning. It's got a Master Volume if it is that is good for lower volume playing, I'd probably do it, cause I've typically been satisfied with the quality of older Marshalls. Just try it out and see if you like it. I'd assume the resale value to stay about the same unless you abuse it and in my opinion, you should always get gear for yourself, not the guy/girl you're gonna sell it to.
It would be a 2204 or a 1987, they still made 1987s and 1959s, even into the JCM800 series along with the MV JCM800s but they're very rare models.

My best guess is that its a MV 2204. But ask for more details. Definitely go try it out before making a trade, if you like it, buy it, value wise, it should not be too different from the AD30 (probably around $1500 or so)
Yea al112987 is right it's almost definitely a 2204. I completely forgot that the 50w was the 2204 and the 2203 is the 100w.
I had a 1978 jmp I loved it I think you would too. Still pisses Me off every time I think about the jackass that stole it from Me.

But based on the genras you described, I think it would suit you quite nicely.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Never mind now, this is what the old a$$hole of a gear head said because I told him I wasn't sure.

??? This is a $3000.00 vintage, point to point, hand wired tone monster! I have 2. That is the only reason I would consider a trade for your orange, but whatever.

Thanks, anyway.
Michael S.

Got all excited wanting to try it after what some of you said and after research. ****ing blows... said he found an orange in cali he's just gonna buy now.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Last edited by pinksalmon at Sep 18, 2008,
Well he is kind of wrong. They weren't handwired nor point to point in 1979. Sure a lot of parts were wired by hand, but the circuit is done on a PCB and so on. Also those amps aren't worth $3000. He tries to make look as if it was an amp ten years older, which would fill these things.

However it is not a bad amp by any means. Tried a 2204 and LOVED it, so consider it!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Last edited by Gabel at Sep 18, 2008,
Yep, the MV amps were PCB, still great amps though but not definitely not a $3000 amp unless it actually is a 1987, which would be slightly rarer and may fetch a bit more.
^Still it's not $3000. $3000 is more what a 1969-1971 would fetch.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
One thing to keep in mind with these is yes, they sound great, but they don't start sounding great until the Cops and the SWAT team are at your door. IMO though, the Master Volume don't sound as full for some reason, but that is just me. They will give more distortion though at lower volumes. Still gonna be a loud amp though.