Ok im playing an esp through a toneport ux1 and through sennheiser headies.

When im playing the recording it sounds nice, but when i play it back via audacity it sounds flat and muddy. im recording at a low volume so its not overdriven. i simply cant hear definition on the recorded version where as i can hear clearly when playing.

Any ideas?
By using audio headphones youre getting an unrealistic idea of what the sound is actually like.
Headphones and computer speakers have preset EQs in their circuitry to make things like music sound better overall and hence boost different frequencies.

Thats why studios have special monitor speakers that come in at about $500 minimum for a pair and unfortunately you get what you pay for...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
true, but this isnt to do with my headies. what im saying is the sound whilst recording is not the same as the sound recorded. make sense?

so any ideas on how to improve this?
post recording EQ and effects.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by fiztech
Ok im playing an esp through a toneport ux1 and through sennheiser headies.

When im playing the recording it sounds nice, but when i play it back via audacity it sounds flat and muddy. im recording at a low volume so its not overdriven. i simply cant hear definition on the recorded version where as i can hear clearly when playing.

Any ideas?

If you hear the true sound while recording on the phones, then hear that crappy version on playback though those same phones, the headphones are not your problem....and so you would not need monitors (although I'm not saying they are a very nice thing to have...)
Quote by moody07747
If you hear the true sound while recording on the phones, then hear that crappy version on playback though those same phones, the headphones are not your problem....and so you would not need monitors (although I'm not saying they are a very nice thing to have...)

i totally totally agree.

what im asking is HOW to eq?

steven seagull you always give me great advice, spread some more magic my way please, or anybody !
Quote by fiztech
i totally totally agree.

what im asking is HOW to eq?

steven seagull you always give me great advice, spread some more magic my way please, or anybody !

In Audacity:

Select the recorded audio and go to effects. Click Equaliser. There you have EQ.

The far left is your bass.
the middle is your mid
the far right is your treble

You will get it fast enough.
thanks man

if you heard how shit i am you would prob say why bother? but honestly i cant stand even my shit sounding shittier.