This is the melodic part from the verse i believe from the song called Tom Sawyer by Rush. I'm not familiar with the technique used here so i have been failing to play it so i been ripping the riff off by using a melodic single string approach using the root notes, and wanted to actually be able to play this correctly. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be appreciated, for now ill try to tackle it.

(Sorry for the quality, i hope you are able to see it; attachments)
Attachments:
tab copy.jpg
tab 2.jpg
What do you mean by what kind of technique? This seems fairly basic plucking 8th notes, are you referring to the let ring thing?
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
you just play the notes and strings, what would help if you could find a finger with minimal movement. then just pluck the string's with a pick, work through it slow at first and then slowly build your speed up until you can play it at full speed. should be pretty easy once you get the hang of it
Quote by cocacolabottle
What do you mean by what kind of technique? This seems fairly basic plucking 8th notes, are you referring to the let ring thing?
No no, I was thinking it was some sort of technique because i have seen many tabs with some sort of melodic note pattern that goes up a string playing a note for each string. but this one, it actually goes from string 2 to string 5 etc and i don't really see that often.

I was mostly asking if it was a technique so i could practice it later to help my overall playing a bit, and of course play it

Edited: of course it was commonsense to slow down and practice then speed up a bit, but i guess i was wondering why did he make it like that like the strings so adjacent. Most of you don't know but i'm learning abit of theory myself and doing some studies
Last edited by Mix Master at Sep 18, 2008,
Hmm ok if understand correctly, he is using note's on scale and incorporating the open string's from the scale, that's why there that way. that's the theory part of it (well my opinion but yea, that's the note's are all close to together, since there all in simaliar pitch range, obvisiously diffrent note's but it doesnt contain low and high pitched notes etc etc)
Quote by cocacolabottle

Most of those are 16th notes. Just saying.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
Quote by JilaX^
Are you thinking of string skipping?
Yeah i was thinking that but i know jack squat on string skipping so far and I was thinking to myself, i should go learn a bit on that now!

@maninthebox yep they are 16th notes as you said

@daniel thank you for most of the information, i developed my picking technique i believe quite well with the metronome since the 6 months i started out playing.