I've got german exams in about a month, and I"m pretty crap at it. I can do pretty basic stuff, and I'm wondering how do you cram for a language?
memorise some fancy phrases out of the textbook

use different tenses, such as past and future

use opinions, like ich denke dass

use qualifying words: fairly, very, extremely, nearly (ziemlich, sehr, wirklich, fast)

make complicated sentences, with words like: and, but, however, on the other hand
Quote by metallinutter
memorise some fancy phrases out of the textbook

use different tenses, such as past and future

use opinions, like ich denke dass

use qualifying words: fairly, very, extremely, nearly (ziemlich, sehr, wirklich, fast)

make complicated sentences, with words like: and, but, however, on the other hand

Thanks for that I can do some of that stuff; I can do present perfect tense, some past tense with the modal verbs (basically 'war' and that's it, war is was for the 3rd person singular isn't it :P ), I didn't even know there was a future tense unless you specify a time or use werden.

I'm OK with opinions and stuff, but whenever I use a subclause I always put the the verb in the wrong place even though I know it goes at the end. I use sehr all the time, but all the others you put there I'm new to . Do you know how to cram vocab?

Quote by saphrax
Sie mussen mehr lesen!

/probably really bad Deutsch...

Is that "you must read more"? Kinda sad I don't know that considering I've been doing german for 2 3/4 years .
German is SO easy
My Guitars:
Gibson LP Standard Iced-Tea
Fender Stratocaster
Cort Earth 100

Lefty!
you can't really cram. you should probably spend 20 minutes a day working on vocab as soon as you start learning it seriously. not that i ever bothered doing that, and i did pretty well!
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
The best way to become good at a language is to actually speak with people who know the language. Maybe native Germans and other countries that speak the language. It might be a bit hard to find those people around in Sydney I guess, but you could talk to your teacher and stuff like that.

My sister went on an exchange trip to Germany and came back beastly at the language.
Thanks for all your replies. Just to clarify, when I say cram I mean learn the language to a level acceptable to a person who has been learning german for 3 years in a month and a bit (but I guess that's basically the definition of cramming).

Our german teacher has been talking to us in german more, I should probably try to talk back in german, that'd do something I guess (I also have a speaking exam). Unfortunately, I'm not going to Germany any time soon. I had the opportunity to go to Germany for an exchange at the end of the year, but it was too expensive, it was over the Christmas holidays which I like spending in Aust, and finally no one else wanted to go so it was cancelled anyways :P .

@lucky_kretz: if it's so easy, tell me your secret
I was terrible at german but good a good grade on my final exams from memorizing good phrases and tons of words.
Quote by kenan6346
Our german teacher has been talking to us in german more, I should probably try to talk back in german, that'd do something I guess

that would help you so much, because if you make a mistake then your teacher will tell you, which saves learning something that's wong. And it'll make you more confident with speaking in german.
KENZI199 is from the internet.
You're not gonna be able to cram study for German. But have fun repeating the class!

STUDY NEXT TIME!
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
You are simply the greatest person ever to walk this great planet.
German is my mothertongue If you need help, just ask.
My Guitars:
Fender Stratocaster
Cort Earth 100

Lefty!
Quote by saphrax
As in German German, or Swiss German?

Swiss German. But you have to learn High German as a kid in CH.
My Guitars:
Fender Stratocaster
Cort Earth 100

Lefty!
im working in germany right now heh and the language is quite fun. they emphasize that 'sh' in 'ich' haha.

Du kannst dein deutsch mit online-Freunde verbessern. Ich habe keine Probleme mit Grammatik, aber Vokabular ist sehr schwer. Deutsch hat die längsten Wörter. Zum Beispiel, 'Wiedervereinigung' oder 'Freizeitgenerationskind' lol.
Zu viel für mich. Ich spreche lieber Englisch hier. Sie denken, dass ich ein Tourist bin, und deshalb sind sie ganz tollerant und sympatisch.
Viel Glück, tschü!
Quote by betty boop
im working in germany right now heh and the language is quite fun. they emphasize that 'sh' in 'ich' haha.

Du kannst dein deutsch mit online-Freunde verbessern. Ich habe keine Probleme mit Grammatik, aber Vokabular ist sehr schwer. Deutsch hat die längsten Wörter. Zum Beispiel, 'Wiedervereinigung' oder 'Freizeitgenerationskind' lol.
Zu viel für mich. Ich spreche lieber Englisch hier. Sie denken, dass ich ein Tourist bin, und deshalb sind sie ganz tollerant und sympatisch.
Viel Glück, tschü!

I understand all but these two words! YES!
try this: Spühlmaschinenablaufreinigungsservice

My Guitars:
Fender Stratocaster
Cort Earth 100

Lefty!
Or Heftordnerklammerbestelllieferdienst ...

.. jokin' and messin' around :P
My Guitars:
Fender Stratocaster
Cort Earth 100

Lefty!
i have a german phrase book on my iphone and learnt to say

you have lovely eyes
i love you
i want you

i laughed
Thanks everyone . Also just to note, I won't have to repeat this class because I'm dropping german (unless I miraculously do well in the exam, in which case I'll probably not do studies of religion and do german instead).

Also, for betty boop's post, this is what I got:

You can your german with online friends better(?). I have no problems with grammar, but vocabulary is very schwer(?). Derman has long words, for example (word) or (word) lol.
Too much for me. I speak better(?) english here. They think, that I am a tourist, and (word) they are (ganz) tolerant and sympathetic.
Much luck, see ya (isn't it tschüss?)
Viel Glück, tschü!

edit: is ^ in german "du hast die schoenste Augen, ich liebe dich, ich will dich"? I'm pretty scratchy with the formal second person singular, I forget what the equivalent of "dich" is for it.
Last edited by kenan6346 at Sep 18, 2008,
Take a friend who does the same class and make a deal that you can both only speak German too each other and spend alot of time together.

If that fails then all you really need to remember is "Das is not ein Booby!"
German is easy...but maybe that's b.c. I live here. It's the grammar that's hard part, but I never learned it and I do fine :]
♥xx♥

I'm considering a German major and I have to say in some ways it's the easiest language I've learned, but in some ways it's much, much harder than English.

I think the vocab is easy because it's so close to English most of the time - in Deutsch you just cram words together and it usually works. I always get einen and einem mixed up, along with a few other grammatical errors.
Just say Wienerschnitzel, Scheise (Or whatever) and Heil Hitler

Or somethng like that
Start listening to Rammstein.

It will all come naturally.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Ask Hitler..........oh..........wait

Quote by Wigert
Start listening to Rammstein.

It will all come naturally.

This will work too.
Pink Floyd is Teh Best

Xbox Gamertag = Nick Schro

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high
Last edited by TheDarkLestat at Sep 18, 2008,
Cheers everyone, there is one guy in my class whose good at german (only one ), I'll talk to him in the language. Also, the grammar is actually pretty easy, it just takes some rote learning of word endings and word position and then remembering to apply them. The vocab is the hardest part IMO, even though you can almost get away with using english words instead of german ones because the two languages are so alike.
Quote by lucky_kretz
German is SO easy

Fo' real foo'.

Seriously though, I do find it pretty easy because it's a lot like English. Just study like you're asian I guess?

Edit: Grammar's a b*tch though. Same goes for the syntax (word order in the sentence).
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
Last edited by miguelito2729 at Sep 19, 2008,