In your opinion, what do you think the best 2x12 tube amp, that's reasonably versatile for under $1000? This is a dilemna a friend of mine is having, I have my opinions and he has his opinions, but I wanted to here what you guys thought. This kid knows his stuff, and won't buy an amp without thoroughly checking it out and making sure its right for him, so don't hesitate to put anything that fits the fore mentioned criteria.
I'm the new king
I taste the queen
In here we are all anemic
In here, anemic and sweet
Any Mesa combos are awesome for dirty and clean, but the Roland Jazz JC-120 amp combo is great for clean only.
Try some of the Traynor Custom combos. I hear they have very nice cleans and have a good marshally distortion that stays tight...and works better than a Marshall oddly enough. They go for like 650 $ I believe. Just givev em a shot, you can't really lose anything.

I also second the Mesa combos. The Vetta II from line 6 is insanely versatile, isn't a tube though and costs bit more than your budget, but if you can find one used you can probably get it fairly cheap because it's a fully solid state amplifier.

Cheers mate, good luck.
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
Quote by Broken Lungs
In your opinion, what do you think the best 2x12 tube amp, that's reasonably versatile for under $1000? This is a dilemna a friend of mine is having, I have my opinions and he has his opinions, but I wanted to here what you guys thought. This kid knows his stuff, and won't buy an amp without thoroughly checking it out and making sure its right for him, so don't hesitate to put anything that fits the fore mentioned criteria.

You spelled hear wrong.
Just so you know.
I just got a B-52 AT212 today. Its VERY versatile. So is my guitar, which makes it all just unreall. Even does acoustic great!!