Well I 'think' I've narrowed my choices down to a couple of bass' but it changes weekly so it could be anything next week! My birthdays coming up soon so I hope to get £500 or so to buy a new bass to replace my Ibanez GSR200. I just want a pretty versatile bass that I love the tone of.

These are the ones I've got it down to:

MM SUB - love the tone from the 'bucker, also like the colours available would probably get it in teal or blue with the aluminum pickguard. The only problem is the neck with its laquer/paint on. Does the sterling SUB have a different neck? In all I've tried a few of these and love them. However I can't seem to find any in shops and have to make do with using a friends for testing. Ebay seems one of my only options :/

Fender Deluxe P - Always had a secret love for the old P, never known why but I have would get it in either black/white with a maple neck and maybe change out the pickguard for a black one. I like the rest of this bass a similar amount to the SUB but I feel its not as good as it, in quality and playability.

Fender J-bass V - Standard five string jazz, I've always been tempted by fivers but after trying this one I realised it would be one of my next bass choices. However its in the SUBs shadow which sucks

Warwick Corvette (ash) standard passive - At the top end of my budget and lowest end of Warwicks range its the main competition for the SUB but I feel if I get a Warwick it has to be one of the passive pickups & active electronics bumping the price up by another £100 or so. But at the moment its one of my dream basses but when playing it I think its not as good as the SUB but that could be as its not the corvette model I want. However I'm not willing to pay the £700ish for a slightly better one.

Whats your view on this? I'm welcome to any other suggestions that you can give me a try to see if i'd like it. And BTW i've tried all these basses out a good few times each. My budget is pretty strictly at around £400 to £550 I've seen the Sub going for between £350 - £500 also wondering if anyone knows of any shops that have them.

And i'll be playing it through my MAG if that makes any difference for pretty much every genre as it changes with my mood. Would like to be able to slap on it but I'm not too fussed about it as I'm still learning slap.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Sounds to me like you've already really chosen the SUB.
If you like it the most, then there's no real reason to ask us, it's a good bass, and if you like the way it plays & sounds, then there you go.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
True, but I like the warwick a lot but feel buying the one I can afford would almost be like smacking myself in the face when I'm GASing for a higher spec one.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Keep in mnd SUBs are discontinued by EB, so finding one left in a shop or on Ebay is going to be your only option. There are still quite a few floating about, but its something to keep in mind.

Except for the rare love at first sight experience, I don't think a musical instrument buy should be something that one takes lightly. Go back and try them all again several times and then see which one "calls" to you, while the SUB seems to be your favourite, if you were dead sure, you wouldn't be asking us. And read this:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796496

It maybe that the higher end Warwick is the "bass of your dreams" and worth sticking out a bit more time with your Ibanez.

All of the basses you have posted are decent and would do you well. I like the Jazz V out of the bunch, the 24 fret version is my option #2 on a 5 string bass GAS list.
I will go and try them I think, I'm just trying to get an idea of some opinions on them, at the moment its probably out of the SUB or the Warwick. Need to try out a few more and see what I like. The only problem with the SUB is i'd pretty much be buying blind unless I found one in a shop or got one off a friend. I think if I went ebay I'd need to go and collect it just to make sure everythings working. But I also wonder if I get the SUB I'll be thinking.. "why didn't I just get a used Stingray for a few hundred more?" same with the warwick and its higher models.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

I'd go Warwick. though SUB's are very nice, I think you'll do better with it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Is there any particular reason you moved away from Ibanez basses? they only get better as the model number increases ;p .
Can you get a sub for £500? I thought they came in closer to £700
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I'm sure you could find a used active Corvette for that budget. There's a few on ebay *hopes link works*
I know your in reading but if you want to try out some of the subs for real life, try and get into london, theres a shop called the ass cellar there which have a load of subs for around 600 i think, they also have a quite a few ash warwicks too.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I own a Yamaha RBX375 - it`s like a true METAL bass. Nice fat humbuckers, 5-stringer, low noise, Active pickups, 2-band eq. Real beauty. If your a 4-person, the RBX374 is also good
I'll take all this into consideration. I saw a SUB on ebay going for £370 (buy now) so I guess it varies on where there sold. I think I'm gonna have another shop trawl and try out everything to see what I like best. And I wana move away from Ibanez because I would like something else.

And its definately narrowed down to just the 'vette and the SUB need to have a look at which one I think will do me better. Used is the way to go as well I think, maybe I'll even find something really nice thats utterly different that I like.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

i played a sub and its very nice but so is the jazz 24 at the moment i would go with the sub you seem to like it more and for the price it seems a good one. But its up to you eventually we dont know what you really want out of a bass.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by smb

Yup, don't have the money at the moment though, gotta wait a few weeks.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

I've never liked schecters that much, I love the look of them but not the bass itself.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Quote by thegiaco2112
and what about the spector ?

Your talking about the UK here, Schecter and Spector dealers are rare.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I assume your taking about the P/J and not the American Deluxe P/H. I own both the Deluxe P/J and a SUB Sterling I'm sure the SUB Stingray is just as good as the Sterling but the Stingray is easier to find. I can say the SUB completely blows it out of the water. The painted neck really isn't a big deal. I don't even notice anymore and my SUBs neck is 43032048 times faster, more comfortable and better than the neck on my Deluxe P. I got a new pickguard for the SUB because I hated the fake diamond plate. You said you love the old P but this really isn't an old P. Its a new school P and doesn't sound 100% like a P. Its like a P on steroids, some like it more some don't. The SUB is made in the USA and the P is made in Mexico. I had to replace the bridge on the P and it needs to go to the shop for a new input jack and to have the wires and pots checked out because I get tons of cracky sounds whenever I move the knobs.

Here are some pictures of both

headstock

back

and the difference the pickguard makes

Last edited by Miss G at Sep 18, 2008,
Subs go about 500-700, tho theres one on just now for 400
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Gotta love those pictures MissG, and yeah I think I'm gonna get a SUB need to have a couple more goes on one but its looking promising. Hopefully I'll find a nice used one for around £400/500 in teal with the metal pickguard but if not I'm gonna go for the dark blue. All depends on what I can find really. I've got a friend with one and I've used his so I know that I like it alot but the problem is finding a nice one thats relatively nearby so I can actually look at it before I buy, the shops here don't tend to have them and if they do there more like £700.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab