Did a search and nothing came up. I have been into jazz for quite a while now. Mainly bebop, cool jazz and some swing. But I wanna get into the fusion side of jazz. I heard Secret Stories by Pat Metheny, so something along the lines of that. If anyone can guide me towards something that has the basic core features of jazz but also borrows from other genres like perhaps a solo over some techno beat and such.

I'm sorry if this question seems incredibly noobish, but that's 'cause I am a noob in these matters . Any help would be appreciated.

And people can also discuss their favourite Jazz fusion albums/artists here, just to give the thread more depth.

If there is another fusion thread, please tell me and I'll delete this one.

Thanks a bunch
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
I see that you are into Jazz. What instrument do you play? I can help you if you need to. I have been in Jazz band for more than 3 years. If you want some of my musics and stuff you can contact me at
cindyjong93@yahoo.com
Thanks.
Quote by bookhater
I see that you are into Jazz. What instrument do you play? I can help you if you need to. I have been in Jazz band for more than 3 years. If you want some of my musics and stuff you can contact me at
cindyjong93@yahoo.com
Thanks.

Umm...thanks I guess?
Quote by chimneyfish

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
The Wired Era Jeff Beck is very fusion. Lots of Chick Corea and John McLaughlin are fusion as well.
Quote by stuey22
The Wired Era Jeff Beck is very fusion. Lots of Chick Corea and John McLaughlin are fusion as well.

Thanks for the recs, will definately check them out. I already listen to Chick Corea, so yeah.

And I'm also looking for a world music-jazz fusion kind of thing. Somewhat like some Pat Metheny tracks, also like Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain (which I consider to be an all out fusion album).
Quote by chimneyfish

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
^ Listen to him. MMW are amazing. Also if you like them look up John Scofield. As far as my favorite fusion albums here it goes.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame
Return To Forever - Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy
Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
Miles Davis - On The Corner
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Shakti - Live With John McLaughlin
Trio Of Doom - Trio Of Doom
Chick Corea - Chick Corea Electrick Band

Here's a MMW video with John Scofield:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgyHqJ4U1UE
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
In A Silent Way is one of my top 10 favorite albums of all time. It's so unique and innovative that you must get it. Check out some of Herbie Hancock's funkier stuff. Headhunters and Thrust are the ones I have and they are both very good. Also some Weather Report. Though most people would reccomed "Heavy Weather" as it's their most popular album (which I don't care for that much), but I like their earlier stuff like the self-titled and Sweetnighter better.
The live recorded Proto Cosmos by Allan Holdsworth is probably one of my favourite pieces of fusion music ever.

John Scofield's 'Still Warm' album is a classic fusion album I think. A great mix of purely melodic tunes and also some more 'out there' dissonant complex pieces.

About a month ago I purchased a CD called Heavy Metal BeBop by The Brecker Brothers. The whole CD is brilliant but this highlight is a track called Some Skunk Funk which is just mindblowing. Michael Brecker is a brilliant jazz/fusion saxophonist and he really shines especially on that track.

But yeah, Return to Foreverm Mahavishnu Orchestra, OHM, Billy Cobham/George Duke band, Holdsworth, those are some of my current favs.
Last edited by BR00TAL at Sep 24, 2008,
Quote by spider666
If anyone can guide me towards something that has the basic core features of jazz but also borrows from other genres like perhaps a solo over some techno beat and such.

I would ask you to check out two very different bands which address the stylistic elements you are looking for in that context.

Kobayashi (acid jazz) and the Ozric Tentacles (electronica based prog fusion)
along with what other people mentioned, look up Herbie Hancock, Garaj Mahal, Scott Henderson and Tribal Tech, The Weather Report, and Charlie Hunter among others.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Pat Metheny is great... but Secret Story is such a shitty album. It's about as mainstream as jazz can get. If you want some real Metheny, check out the album Bright Size Life.
Last edited by Slash 602 at Sep 25, 2008,
i also like fusion
for example eric johnson plays in avery ineque and jazzy style that amazesz me there is also mr. steve morse and the dixie dregs they are absolutely great. also pat M, john scotfield and al di meola (i think i heard Friday Night in San Francisco more than a 100 times). but for me the king of jazz (i know some people are going to think this is a blasphemy) is mr. Frank "francesco" Zappa. No one was that amazing. i think.
Last edited by joelmo at Oct 4, 2008,
i rarely listen to fusion, Jazz, Bebop and swing is much more my thing. I listen to John scofield, but thats as far as ill really go

Proud member of the Stratocaster Lover's Group
One particular Jazz Fusion guitarist that I have been fond of as of late is Shawn Lane.

I had read mention of him quite consistently while browsing through the Shred forum, and eventually decided to listen to him.

Take note thatShawn's music expands well-beyond Shred. I'd consider him a Jazz Fusion guitarist before anything else (at least based upon what music of his I have listened to).

If you're curious as to his credentials, he worked with bassist Jonas Hellborg on many albums, as well as original Santana drummer Michael Shrieve.
Classics somewhat lesser-known by the modern guitar-playing community at large:
John Abercrombie - Timeless
Billy Cobham - Spectrum
Tony Williams Lifetime - Emergency! (with John McLaughlin and Larry Young)
The New Tony Williams Lifetime - Believe It and Million Dollar Legs (with Allan Holdsworth, Tony Newton and Alan Pasqua)
Anything with both Gary Burton and Keith Jarrett
Miroslav Vitous - Infinite Search (A must - Features John McLaughlin, Herbie Hancock, Joe Henderson, and Jack DeJohnette.)

Contemporary recommendations:
Trio Beyond - Saudades
Sonny Sharrock - Ask the Ages (avant-garde yet very accessible)
Anything by Naked City, especially their self-titled album (quite avant-garde, featuring John Zorn, Joey Baron and Bill Frisell)
Allan Holdsworth - The Sixteen Men of Tain
Ben Monder - Oceana
Brian Blade Fellowship - Perceptual
Dave Douglas - Strange Liberation (featuring Bill Frisell)
Tiger style.
Quote by kevinm4435
Classics somewhat lesser-known by the modern guitar-playing community at large:
John Abercrombie - Timeless
Billy Cobham - Spectrum
Tony Williams Lifetime - Emergency! (with John McLaughlin and Larry Young)
The New Tony Williams Lifetime - Believe It and Million Dollar Legs (with Allan Holdsworth, Tony Newton and Alan Pasqua)
Anything with both Gary Burton and Keith Jarrett
Miroslav Vitous - Infinite Search (A must - Features John McLaughlin, Herbie Hancock, Joe Henderson, and Jack DeJohnette.)

Contemporary recommendations:
Trio Beyond - Saudades
Sonny Sharrock - Ask the Ages (avant-garde yet very accessible)
Anything by Naked City, especially their self-titled album (quite avant-garde, featuring John Zorn, Joey Baron and Bill Frisell)
Allan Holdsworth - The Sixteen Men of Tain
Ben Monder - Oceana
Brian Blade Fellowship - Perceptual
Dave Douglas - Strange Liberation (featuring Bill Frisell)

a very refreshing list of jazz fusion
I MUST acquire the Miroslav Vitous album!
Quote by ohhey9040
The Soft Machine could get pretty jazzy, so if you count them they haven't been mentioned either.

I agree. The Soft Machine is an excellent band for jazz fusion.
Last edited by TheHeartbreaker at Oct 23, 2008,
Tribal Tech is definately my favorite fusion group. These guys are very sick musicians. It should be illegal to be as good as they are. Check out their Face First, Reality Check, and Illicit albums. Miles Davis' Bitches Brew album is one of, if not the first fusion records. Also check out the bands Return to Forever and Weather Report.
Hope this helps.
My favorites
Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow, Wired
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats, The Grand Wazoo, Roxy and Elsewhere
Miles Davis - On the Corner
Return to Forever - No Mystery
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters, Thrust

but everyone should def get a copy of BLOW BY BLOW BY JEFF BECK

one of the most amazing albums of all time
'Music is the best"
Zappa
romantic warrior by return to forever
time control by hiromi (more jazz than fusion, but still)
heavy weather by weather report
the apocalypse inside of an orange by omar rodriguez-lopez

i like those
I'm also looking for some Jazz Fusion to listen to, so I'm definitely bookmarking this thread.

I don't mean to jack this thread, but can anyone recommend some fusion along the sound of Terry Kath era Chicago?

Edit: to the OP, check out the album "Chicago III"
RIP Terry Kath (1978)
Last edited by Breakfast_Rock at Nov 2, 2008,
Not all of these are strictly Jazz-Fusion, but they have played a lot of Jazz-Fusion.

Allan Holdsworth.
Al Di Meola.
Frank Gambale.
Guthrie Govan.
Soft Machine.
Planet X.
Frank Zappa.
Dixie Dregs.
Cynic.
Watchtower.
Herbie Hancock.
Stanley Clarke.